Original air date: 10/13/2010
The town is invaded by loud, obnoxious guidos/Jersey Shore wannabes, and Kyle discovers a disturbing secret about his origins.
"It's a Jersey Thing" contains examples of:
- Angry Fist-Shake: Kyle does one while threatening Cartman, saying that he will smash his teeth in as he continues to say that Kyle is one of them.
- Big Damn Heroes:
- Bystander Syndrome: Why Arnold Schwarzenegger refuses to help South Park: budget problems in California and just a general lack of concern, since the states of Utah and Nevada stand between California and Colorado.
- Child of Two Worlds: Kyle, who is half Jerseyite, half Coloradoan.
- Confession Cam: The Jerseyites do this parodying Jersey Shore. Later, Sheila does it while explaining her past in Jersey. Lampshaded by Sharon:Sharon: Sheila, who are you taking to?
Sheila: You wouldn't understand. It's a Jersey thing.
- Enemy Mine: South Park calls upon Al Qaeda to help them with the Jerseyites after it becomes apparent that nobody else wants to help.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Even Al Qaeda sees Jerseyites as a force that must be stopped.
- Everyone Has Standards: South Park's adults (even Randy Marsh) thinks that Jerseyites are too jerkish and stupid even for them (Randy even told that it's impossible to be so dumb which is rich coming from him).
- Excrement Statement: Cartman shits on Kyles doorstep every morning to try to get him and his family to move away since he hates Kyle so much. He later says hell start crapping on Kyles doorstep even more after learning the latter is from New Jersey. None of the actual crapping is shown on screen.
- Forced Transformation: Snooki sexually assaulting the boys and her Jersey influence cause Kyle to transform into Kyley-B, who then fights her to save everyone at Sizzler.
- Former Teen Rebel: Sheila reveals that she was once a notorious teen party-girl known as "S-Wow Tittybang."
- Half-Breed Angst: Kyle deals with this throughout the episode after learning he's half Jersey. See also I Am a Monster below.
- Head-Turning Beauty: Sheila is implied to be this back when she lived in New Jersey, as one of the photos of her past showed her getting groped at a bar by a Jersey guy, while another was staring and wolf whistling at her.
- Hidden Depths: Kyle and Sheila's Jersey side don't come up until they're around other Jerseyites.
- Also notable they both fall into these states when their friends are harassed by other Jerseyites, showing a deep connection to their South Park home.
- Hybrid All Along: Downplayed with Kyle, since hes still 100% American/human, but it was after 14 seasons that we learned he has Jersey blood in him.
- Hypocrite: Pretty much everything Jersey women in the episode say is derisive gossip about other women. When people get sick of it and start throwing shade right back, the Jersey women explode.Teresa: Ears out to here! So I tell her "you got big ears, sweety." I'm not trying to be mean, it's just a Jersey thing. Why be effected? I mean, you've got a big chin. We've all got imperfections.
Sharon: Right. Just like your eyes are too far apart.
Teresa: [To a camera crew.] That was totally uncalled for for what she did. My eyes are too far apart? I'm like "who is she? Is she God?" No. [Cut back to the dinner table.] You don't ever. Ever! You ratjob. Prostitution. Whore! You probably sell your muff for six-dollars, you fucking psycho bitch! Fuck you! [Teresa flips the table.] You're nothing but garbage! That's what you are! You're garbage! You sick, old-woman, muff-garbage! Muff cabbage! Fuck this psycho bitch!
- Hypocritical Humor: Randy praising Osama Bin Laden and giving a heartwarming speech about how there are no enemies in the world, only people with differences... only to then gleefully proclaim "We got him!" when a soldier drops in through the roof and shoots Bin Laden in the head.
- I Am a Monster: What Kyle essentially thinks of himself upon learning hes from Jersey. He goes to great lengths to hide it from his friends. Eventually hes forced to embrace and accept it to save them from Snooki.Kyle: (as if about to cry) What am I, Mom?Kyle: No! I dont wanna look like this! ...I can hide it. Nobody ever has to know. I cant ever let anybody know!
- Instantly Proven Wrong: While Kyle is angsting about his Jersey side, Sheila tells him that it's not so bad and that some people think the Jersey look is cool. At that point, Ike appears, takes one look at his mother and brother, screams in horror and faints.
- Jerkass: All the Jersey people count as this.
- Justified with Sheila and Kyle, since they're being that way to help their friends.
- Joisey: The entire episode is built around this stereotype.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Snooki humping Stephen and Cartman.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: Cartman starts bawling when Kyle pushes him against a tree, crying about a small scratch behind his head. Cartman later exaggerates the story to the other kids.
- One-Winged Angel: Parodied by Kyle's Jersey side, "Kyley-B", which was treated as this and a Superpowered Alter Ego.
- Painful Transformation: Kyle undergoes this when he goes into his Jersey form at Sizzler.
- Phrase Catcher: "It's a Jersey thing."
- Rape as Comedy: The Snooki rapes several people, such as Stephen, DogPoo, and Cartman — "Snooki want smoosh-smoosh!"
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Sheila seems to be fine with wearing clothes that reveal her midriff, cleavage and are form-fitting, even if it means other men grope and wolf whistle at her, per the photos of her time as a Jersey girl.
- Shout-Out: Kyle's "transformation" into a Jersey kid resembles a similar scene from Teen Wolf.
- Kyle's Jersey side is named "Kyley-B."
- South Parks' final stand against the Jerseyites takes a page from Les Misérables.
- Smart Ball: Adults of South Park are useful and competent in this episode. This is a rare thing to happen.
- Take That!: At New Jersey culture, but especially Jersey Shore and Snooki.Randy: (waving a South Park flag) Fuck you, Jersey!!!
- Title Drop: "It's a Jersey thing."
- You Are What You Hate: Before he learned of his Jersey heritage, Kyle was mostly indifferent to the other Jerseyites, only questioning the overabundance of them. Then when he learns about his Jersey origins, hes horrified and refuses to associate with them at all costs.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Once New Jersey gets sent back to the East Coast, Bin Laden gets a new hole in his head.Randy: We got him!