- "Put your best foot forward!"
Airdate: January 4, 2004
"Ski Ya, Wouldn't Wanna Be Ya!" is the twenty fourth episode of the second (internet) season of Happy Tree Friends. It is also one of the episodes featured in the Happy Tree Friends Winter Break collection.
After Disco Bear accidentally bumped Flaky causing her to get caught on a ski lift, Flaky must face her fears and ski down a mountain when she gets stranded at the top. As in, she ends up suffering from a foot stuck on a nail on a board, outstretched arm, an avalanche going after her, and another foot also getting stuck, only this time for another chance at survival. She eventually crashes through a chain link fence surrounding a cabin. Disco Bear opens the cabin door, showing Flaky shortly before she breaks into numerous little pieces. The cabin is finally hit by the avalanche, covering everything in snow. Disco Bear pops out seemingly fine, only for the board that Flaky was riding on to hit him in the face.
"Ski Ya, Wouldn't Wanna Be Ya!" contains examples of:
- Agony of the Feet: Flaky accidentally steps on a nail stuck on a wooden board. The affected foot ends up with a cut after she gets released from the board the first time, forcing her to use her other foot to escape the avalanche.
- Artistic License Astronomy: Yet again, the stars are drawn over the shaded part of the moon.
- Asshole Victim: Disco Bear — who after accidentally starting Flaky's torment, is killed by the nail on her board at the end.
- Author Appeal: The "Fondue is delicious" caption, according to the BlurB!.No reason for that statement except that I love cheese.
- Break the Cutie: Flaky goes through literal hell trying to survive.
- Brick Joke: The BlurB! version asked the audience the answer two particular questions at the end of the show. During the credits roll, the answers are revealed... as letters from an unseen multiple-choice format, with no actual answer given.note
- Captain Obvious: The BlurB! is back with a vengeance.Fun Fact: Ski lifts work better when you sit on the seats.
- Caption Humor: One of the episodes with a BlurB! version.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Flaky ends up cut into numerous pieces from crashing through a chain link fence.
- Chain-Link Fence: What separates the flying Flaky and the cabin, her only hope for help from the avalanche chasing her. She ends up crashing through it, cutting her into pieces.
- Comical Overreacting: The episode starts with Flaky screaming in horror as she is skiing down... a small mound of snow.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Cro-Marmot, as depicted from the short "Dino-Sore Days", can be seen on Flaky's watch. Said short was actually released later on August.
- Fainting: Flaky faints after realizing that the ski lift she ends up on has carried her way too high.
- Fast-Forward Gag: Days pass by quickly after Flaky passed out on the ski lift. Even funnier, the lone lift is still going at the same pace despite the time skip.
- Gratuitous Disco Sequence: Disco Bear's arrival is signaled by a disco ball inexplicably dropping down out of nowhere and his usual Leitmotif.
- Hair-Trigger Avalanche: Flaky's horrified scream after noticing her damaged foot is what started the avalanche.
- Hope Spot: Twice for Flaky.
- First is when she thinks she can simply hold on to a branch to stop her forced skiing. It breaks from the force, and the arm she used to grab it ends up outstretched and unusable.
- Second is after she is sent flying from her board the second time. She notices a cabin, making her smile. Shortly after, she realizes that it is surrounded by a chain link fence...
- Instant Wristwatch: Flaky's watch, which only appears during the scene where she checks the time after waking up from her unconsciousness.
- Life-or-Limb Decision: After Flaky was released from the wooden board that damaged one of her feet the first time, the avalanche is still going. Simply standing on the board with her cut foot does not help... No choice but to impale her other foot.
- Off-Model: Flaky's philtrum has a tendency to disappear often in this episode. In the close-up shot of her impaling her left foot on the nail, her quills are not drawn.
- Pun-Based Title: "See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!"
- Rasputinian Death: Flaky suffers from a few injuries from her predicament before she finally dies from crashing through a chain link fence.
- Rubber Hose Limbs: One of Flaky's arms becomes this from trying to hold on to a branch during a high-speed ski down a a slope, which fails.
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: Poor Flaky has to go through a lot of pain just to survive, not helped by the avalanche she triggered. At the end, she dies anyway, just as she made it to a cabin that she hoped to get help from.
- Ski-Resort Episode: The episode takes place at a ski resort.
- Stuck on a Ski Lift: Flaky on the first half of the episode.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Flaky and Disco Bear.
- Totally Radical: One of the BlurB! captions.
- Uncertain Doom: The fate of Giggles and Petunia. They may have died in the avalanche, as Giggles's bow can be seen buried in the snow at the final shot.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Disco Bear's reaction towards Flaky breaking apart is less shocked and more confused. Lampshaded by the BlurB!.Disco Bear seems relatively unfazed by Flaky being chopped to pieces