Like Battle Beast, Beast in Black is a tribute band to '80s Hard Rock and Speed Metal, fronted by Greek vocalist Yannis Papadopoulos (Wardrum), and again writes at least half its songs about the Dark Fantasy manga Berserk. Also like Battle Beast, Beast in Black started its career opening for Nightwish, this time before even having their first album out. Berserker would ultimately come out in November 2017. After the album's release they toured with Nightwish again as support for the European portion of the Decades World Tour.
- Kasperi Heikkinen - guitars
- Atte Palokangas - drums (2018-)
- Yannis Papadopoulos - vocals
- Anton Kabanen - guitars
- Mate Molnar - bass
- Sami Hänninen - drums (2015-2018)
- Berserker (2017)
- From Hell With Love (2019)
Tropes in Beast in Black's music:
- Atomic F-Bomb: In "Crazy, Mad, Insane":"Forced in to a puzzle
Where I cannot fit
I won't be like you
'Cause you make me sick
Run out the freak who hates the trash
That you all say is true
- The Berserker: As if the first album's title didn't already tip you off. Notably, the song "Beast in Black" is about Guts and the Unstoppable Rage he unleashes upon his enemies once he becomes the Black Swordsman. "Zodd the Immortal" also applies being as Zodd is an example of a berserker as well.
- Call-and-Response Song: The verses of "Zodd the Immortal" have Yannis and Anton alternating lines. It's especially noticeable if you listen with headphones: Yannis is almost entirely on the right ear while Anton occupies the left.
- Cat Folk: The cover of Berserker boasts a lion-headed warrior, similar to the one that served as Battle Beast's mascot.
- Deal with the Devil: "Unlimited Sin" alludes to pledging one's soul to demonkind for power.
- The End of the World as We Know It: "The End of the World."
- Filk Song:
- Just like the previous band Kabanen was a member of, Beast in Black features a number of songs based on Berserk, including "Beast in Black," "Zodd the Immortal," "Hell for All Eternity," "Die by the Blade," "This is War," "The Fifth Angel," and "Go to Hell." The last two in particular even feature vocal clips from the 1997 anime.
- "Cry Out for a Hero" is about Fist of the North Star.
- God of Evil: The Idea of Evil from the Missing Episode of Berserk is alluded to in "Hell for All Eternity.""The god we created
Plans our destiny
'Cause life without a meaning
Is our sworn enemy"
- Heavy Mithril: Songs about Berserk (of course), and more generally about kings trying to regain their throne and displaying courage in righteous battle.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Beast in Black is a mishmash of Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Power Metal, and Speed Metal, and additionally leans on synthpop influence even more than Battle Beast does, especially on From Hell with Love. Check out "Die By the Blade".
- Precision F-Strike: There are a couple of them on Berserker (e.g. "Evil has never felt so fucking good!" from "The Fifth Angel"), not to mention the Atomic F-Bomb in "Crazy, Mad, Insane".
- Rape as Drama: "The Fifth Angel" shows the Eclipse from Berserk's Golden Age arc (about which Anton Kabanen wrote several songs for Battle Beast) from Casca's point of view, mentioning her rape by Griffith/Femto in the chorus."I steal your sanity, betray your heart and let it bleed
Burn down your paradise and drain your love
I stain your purity, become thy faithful enemy
Defile your womanhood before his eyes"
- Snow Means Death: The video for "Blind and Frozen" shows a female protagonist wandering through a snowy castle in a white dress, then lying on a bed, apparently frozen to death, at the denouement.
- Villain Song: Plenty. "Hell for All Eternity" is about Griffith's sacrifice of the Hawks to the God Hand, "The Fifth Angel" concerns his rape of Casca, and "Zodd the Immortal" is about Zodd the Immortal. "Repentless" is a unique version, in that it at first seems heroic , only for Griffith to remind you of his true colors in the second verse.
- Woman Scorned: The music video for "Sweet True Lies" shows a woman finding out that her husband is seeing another woman and heading down to the club to let him have it.
- You Can't Fight Fate: "Zodd the Immortal" alludes to Zodd's words of warning to Guts about his impending doom."You will face your demise
Heed the warning of Zodd the Immortal
Bound to fight, kill, and die
Nothing can stop this tide
The ultimate sacrifice"