Beartooth is a Hardcore Punk/Metalcore band from Columbus, Ohio. Originally, it was a side project by Caleb Shomo of Attack Attack! fame. He used it as a sort of musical therapy, with no intention of recording or playing live shows. However, after he left Attack Attack! to deal with his depression, he started investing more time and energy into Beartooth, eventually assembling a full band, signing with Red Bull Records, and starting to record material.
Beartooth is a relatively new band, but they've become one of the biggest names in metalcore in The New '10s. Their signature sound lies somewhere on the border between hardcore punk and metalcore, with catchy choruses and confessional, deeply personal lyrics.
Their discography includes the following:
- Sick EP (2013)
- Disgusting (2014)
- Aggressive (2016)
- Disease (2018)
- Below (2021)
Beartooth provides examples of:
- Album Title Drop: "Sick and Disgusting", which is from Disgusting. It also drops the title of their first EP.
- Darker and Edgier: Compared to Attack Attack!, Beartooth is very much this.
- Despair Event Horizon: "Sick and Disgusting".
- "I Have a Problem" is one too.
- Domestic Abuse: "Beaten in Lips" is intended as a message to victims of child abuse, encouraging them to stay strong and not give up hope. The music video also deals with this topic and ends with a title card directing the viewer to multiple domestic violence hotlines they can call if they or someone they know is suffering from abuse.
- Dramatic Shattering: The video for "The Lines" is about the band smashing various objects in slow motion, including watermelons, cakes, and vases.
- I Am the Band: Downplayed. Caleb writes the songs and plays all of the instruments on studio recordings, but the rest of the band are considered full-time members and are involved in every other aspect of the band, including appearing in music videos, playing live shows, and designing the band's merchandise.
- Melodic Hardcore: This is the band's main style in Aggressive.
- Heavy Meta: "Bad Listener".
- Metalcore: This is the main style for the band's debut, Disgusting.
- Metal Scream: It's hard to find a song where Caleb doesn't do this at some point.
- Ode to Sobriety: "I Have a Problem", of the "Ode to Intoxication Deconstruction" variety.
- Solo Side Project: Started as one, but quickly developed into something more.
- Soprano and Gravel: Caleb does a one-man version.