Alkaline Trio is a Punk Rock band from Chicago, Illinois, formed in 1996.
Since 2001, the band consisted of lead vocalist and guitarist Matt Skibanote , bassist and co-lead vocalist Dan Andriano note and drummer Derek Grant note .
Although they were never as big mainstream stars as other pop punk bands, such as blink182 or Green Day, they still had a cult following, with songs such as "Radio", "We've Had Enough", "Mercy Me" or "Stupid Kid".
As of 2015, Matt has also become a member of blink-182, where he replaced original member Tom DeLonge.
Members (founding in bold, current in italic)
- Matt Skiba - lead vocals, guitar (1996-present)
- Rob Doran - bass, backing vocals (1996-1997)
- Glenn Porter - drums (1996-2000)
- Dan Andriano - bass, co-lead vocals (1997-present)
- Mike Felumlee - drums (2000-2001)
- Derek Grant - drums, backing vocals (2001-present)
- Goddamnit (1998)
- Maybe I'll Catch Fire (2000)note
- From Here to Infirmary (2001)note
- Good Mourning (2003)note
- Crimson (2005)
- Agony & Irony (2008)
- This Addiction (2010)
- My Shame Is True (2013)
- Is This Thing Cursed? (2018)
Other notable releases
- For Your Lungs Only (1998, EP)
- I Lied My Face Off (1999, EP)
- Alkaline Trio (2000, compilation)note
- Remains (2007, b-sides and rarities compilation)
- Damnesia (2011, acoustic album)
- Broken Wings (2013, EP) note
- Break Up Song: "Stupid Kid".
- Changed for the Video: The music video for "We've Had Enough" features the chorus after first verse already, whereas album version doesn't have the chorus until after second verse.
- Cover Version: "Halloween" by The Misfits, "Metro" by Berlin, "Wait for the Blackout" by The Damned.
- Concept Album: My Shame Is True is centered around the theme of catharsis.
- Face on the Cover: From Here to Infirmary and Good Mourning.
- Fading into the Next Song: "Mr. Chainsaw" to "Take Lots with Alcohol" on From Here to Infirmary.
- FaithHeel Turn: "Hell Yes" appears to be about a person, who lost any faith in God and resorts to being "selfish and drunken and vulgar and lazy".
- Growing Up Sucks: "Mr. Chainsaw". This line at the end explains the meaning:In case you're wondering, I'm singing about growing up, about giving in.
- Long-Runner Line-up: Since 2001.
- Lyrical Dissonance: "This Could Be Love". The music is a fairly accessible punk rock, but the lyrics are graphically disturbing. See Murder Ballad below.
- Murder Ballad: "This Could Be Love" is sung from a perspective of a mentally unstable would-be murder victim, altough it's implied, that the reason he wants the other person to kill him not because he feels like he deserves it, but because he wants that other person to become just as twisted as he is.Step one, slit my throat, step two, play in my bloodStep three, cover me in dirty sheets and run laughing out of the houseStep four, stop off at edgebrook creek and rinse those crimson handsYou took me hostage and made your demandsI couldn't meet them so you cut off my fingers one by one
- The Number of the Beast: Cover of debut album Goddamnit has three alarm clocks, all set at 6th hour.
- One-Woman Song: "Emma" (from Good Mourning), "Sadie" (from Crimson, the song is about Suzan Atkins, a member of Charles Manson's notorious murderer cult), "Dorothy" (from This Addiction).
- Person as Verb: From "We've Had Enough"Fighting back the tears, and every urge to Van Gogh both our ears
- Punk Rock
- Rock Trio: With a name Alkaline Trio, this should be probably expected.
- Self-Titled Album: Not a studio album, but a compilation of early releases.
- Shout-Out: A subtle one to A Clockwork Orange in "Piss and Vinegar":I got a burning temptation like clockwork orange herbicide
- Surreal Music Video: "Mercy Me". At one point, Matt is seen screwing his miniature self into the ground. In next scene, Derek is doing the same to his miniature self, but it also causes his own head to spin around. And that's just part of it.
- Teacher/Student Romance: A one-sided on boy's part in "Stupid Kid" music video. The teacher appears to be creeped out by this, especially as the boy becomes more and more obssesive. After he is rejected, he is seen standing outside, where he removes his hat, revealing a part of devil horns, while the teacher, stuck in the inside, is consumed by smoke.
- Vocal Tag Team: Mostly between Matt and Dan.