The latest mission or pursuit of the Monster of the Week is about to commence. However, The So-Called Coward or Commander Contrarian absolutely refuses to go along this time. His teammates, rather than pressing him to Never Split the Party (as he probably expected), say, "Fine, you can just wait here alone." Five seconds later, the thought of waiting alone for whatever danger or villain is lurking out there becomes scarier than the thought of facing it with the team, so he runs after them.
- In the Hetalia: Axis Powers movie Paint it, White!, Germany says this almost word for word to Italy, as the nations go to sneak onto the Pictonian mothership
Italy: *waving white flag* I'll wait for you guys here.Germany: Italy! You are coming inside with us!Italy: What? But I would rather not. Willingly walking into an enemy's spaceship seems kind of reckless to me. Plus, I don't want to get my costume all dirty!Germany: Fine. Then stay here alone.Italy: Ah! Being alone is worse than anything!
- A variation in One Piece: When Zoro, Nami, and Robin want go explore Upper Yard, Chopper is staying back to guard the ship alone. The variation comes from that Chopper isn't made to guard the ship because he was too fearful to go with the others (even though he is a bit of a coward); they simply needed someone to guard the ship so it wouldn't get stolen/destroyed, and Chopper was probably just chosen by drawing lots or something. When the three others have left, Chopper thinks to himself that they are extremely brave for going into the dangerous jungle, but then he realizes that he is the one who's in danger, because he is all alone on their ship in the middle of a land with tons of bloodthirsty villains.
- Spirited Away: Chihiro originally refuses to accompany her parents into the haunted amusement park, but follows when they decide to leave her behind. It turns out she was right about the place.
- In Conan the Destroyer, Malak refuses to go to the castle in the swamp with the others - then says to nobody in particular, "They need me!" and jumps in the boat to keep from being left alone.
- Happens in the first live action Scooby-Doo film. Daphne needed Shaggy & Scooby to go into a castle with her when they refuse. So she says, "you're not going to stand out here alone are you?" which gets them very eager to accompany her.
- All in the Family: When the Bunkers' niece Stephanie (whom they've taken in) is reluctant to go with them on their trip to California to visit Mike and Gloria, Archie uses this gambit (after all, it worked on Gloria at that age when she didn't want to go to the Catskills with them).
Archie: You want to stay here, that's okay. Hey, there's plenty of food out there in the ice box, and you learned a little about cooking from your Aunt Edith there. You can take care of the house, a big girl like you. Starts to get cold, there's the gauge over there; you shove it up a little bit there. Only thing is you gotta stay in the house all the time. You can't go nowheres and you can't let nobody in the front door, or in the back door neither. And the most important thing of all...you know that little door to the attic up there?Stephanie: Yeah.Archie: That door must be kept locked. By day, and by night.Stephanie: Why?Archie: Oh, ho ho...what you don't know...won't hurt you. So that's it. You stay here, all alone. We'll see you in nine, ten days or so. Have a nice time...all by yourself. Merry Christmas. And...(lowering voice a bit)...don't be scared!(Bunkers go outside)
Edith: Archie, are you sure...Archie: Three... Two... One...Stephanie: (racing outside) AUNT EDITH!!! HERE I AM!!!
- In The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, upon arriving at the first dungeon, the Deepwood Shrine, Ezlo remembers earlier information about there being monsters inside, and says he'll wait for Link at the entrance. The very next snippet has Ezlo retracting that and saying he won't let Link leave him all alone.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006): In a scene before Flame Core, Tails discovers that a Chaos Emerald is inside a volcano. Rouge is displeased with this, only for Knuckles to tell her if she doesn't like it, then she can stay here. However, she does eventually go with the others.
- An Exterminatus Now comic has Eastwood refuse to help Virus rescue a group of Tyrusian Pilgrims because he thought he saw a spider daemon through his binoculars (he's extremely arachnophobic). So Virus heads down on his own, but not before telling Eastwood that if there really is a spider creature creeping about, it would be nice to have someone watching his back instead of being left all alone where it could easily creep up on you. Eastwood quickly follows Virus.
- Stand Still, Stay Silent: When Lalli, who was so far going along with his Kidnapped by the Call situation, refuses to board a train, Tuuri's reaction is to threaten to leave him behind, stranded in a country where nobody speaks his language.
- Too many times on Scooby-Doo to count.
- Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: In "Spooky Space Kook", while the gang is exploring a haunted airfield, Shaggy and Scooby declare they aren't going any farther. Fred responds, "Fine, if you want to stay here — alone." A ghostly laugh sends the two running to catch up.
- What's New, Scooby-Doo?: In "She Sees Sea Monsters by the Sea Shore", Fred, Velma, and Daphne are undeterred by Motoshondu sinking their boat and put on the scuba gear to investigate further. When Shaggy and Scooby refuse, Daphne tells them they can wait up there, all alone. Shaggy refuses to fall for the paranoia, but then Motoshondu turns up.
- From the blackout episode of Rugrats:
Chuckie: (from under his blanket) No way, I'm not goin'! Not this time! This isn't just regular-plain-old scary, Tommy. This is THE DARK! There's no light at all, not even a night light! Forget it, Tommy. I'm. Stayin'. Right. Here.
Tommy: Okay, Chuckie, whatever you say.(The other three go off, leaving Chuckie sitting silently under the blanket for a minute.)Chuckie: (panicking and running after them, still under the blanket) Hey, wait, you're not gonna leave me?! WAIT! I'm coming, too!!
- My Life as a Teenage Robot: Tuck and Brad come across an abandoned UFO, and, of course, Brad decides to try to get in, despite Jenny telling him not to. Tuck is against it, fearing what kind of freaky alien things could be inside, and Brad responds that he can stay outside with the lions and tigers and bears.
Tuck: Pfft. Lions and tigers and bears. (animal growls in the distance; he runs inside) Oh my.
- In The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! episode "The Bird!" Luigi refuses to hike up a snowcapped mountain. Mario decides to leave him be, mentioning that Luigi should watch out for any polar bears lurking nearby. Luigi, slightly more afraid of being eaten than being crushed in an avalanche, follows after the gang.
- Danger Mouse: This exchange from "The Good, The Bad And The Motionless," after our heroes land at Stonehenge to investigate a disturbance:
DM: I'm going in there to investigate; you wait here.Penfold: (on the verge of panic) Wait here?? On me own? In the horrible gloom? Wait here???DM: Alright, alright...no, you're right Penfold. I'll wait here and you go investigate. (beat)Penfold: I know, chief.DM: What?Penfold: I'll wait here and you go investigate!
DM: (drolly) What a good idea, Penfold. Why didn't I think of that?
- In an episode of Camp Lazlo, Lazlo, Clam and Patsy want to search for their escaped pet snake, but Raj is too afraid to join them and says he'll stay in the cabin. When Patsy mentions he might still be in the cabin, Raj instantly tags along.
- Lance does this in the second episode of Voltron: Legendary Defender's second season. He spots a mermaid and wants to ask her for help finding the rest of the paladins, but Hunk refuses to follow him (at first).
Lance: Okay, you stay here, by yourself, in the dark, all alone in a lion that's out of commission.
Hunk: (suddenly comes out and clings to Lance) DON'T LEAVE ME!
- In The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius episode "Beach Party Mummy" Carl is at first hesitant to venture into an egyptian tomb and Jimmy tells him he can stay out "in case a marauding band of bloodthirsty graverobbers shows up". All it takes is a scarab to touch his foot for him to scream "Wait for me!" and follow them.