Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Life is old there, older than the trees
Younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze
to the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain mama
Take me home, country roads.
This is an index for all tropes related to the rural countryside.
- Agri World: A planet or world dedicated solely to growing food.
- Arcadia: An idealistic pre-modern countryside setting where residents enjoy the simple pleasures of life.
- Call to Agriculture: Powerful figures retiring on farms.
- The City vs. the Country: Moving from the country to the city or vice versa to show the contrast between the two environments.
- Country Cousin: A relative who lives in the rural part of the country.
- Country Mouse: Character from a rural area tries to adjust to urban life.
- Determined Homesteader: A person who seeks to claim land by improving it through agriculture.
- Determined Homesteader's Children
- Determined Homesteader's Wife: Strong-willed woman who is married to the Determined Homesteader.
- Down on the Farm: Classic farm settings.
- Dying Town: A town that has lost its main reason for existing, or the support systems it needs to thrive, casuing it to lose its inhabitants far faster than they're replaced.
- Farm Boy: The Hero hails from a rural farm and receives a Call to Adventure, usually due to a Secret Legacy.
- Farmer's Daughter: An innocent-looking rural girl.
- Farm Life Sim: Games about the life of a farmer.
- Flyover Country: Everything between the East and West Coasts in the USA.
- From New York to Nowhere: Relocating from a big city to a small town in the middle of nowhere.
- Half-Witted Hillbilly: A person from the countryside who is backward, ignorant, or outright stupid.
- Hayseed Name: Stereotypical names for hillbillies or country bumpkins.
- Healthy Country Air: Air in rural areas is cleaner and healthier than that in urban areas.
- Overalls and Gingham: People from rural areas wear gingham and/or overalls.
- Pastoral Science Fiction: Science fiction set in the countryside.
- Roll in the Hay: Doing the do while lying in a hay barrack in a barn or one in an open field.
- The Simple Life is Simple: Farming life being depicted as simple in fiction.
- Small Town Boredom: Life in an ordinary small town is boring and uneventful.