- "My grandfather's work was DOO-DOO!"
- The smug, annoying student who provokes Frederick to this level is played by Brainy Smurf. Which just figures.
- When Frederick stabs himself in the leg with the scalpel, the way he pauses and looks at it sticking out of his leg, then "casually" puts his other leg up to obscure it and act as if nothing is wrong.
- At the station mid-embrace:Elizabeth: Taffeta, darling.Frederick: Taffeta, sweetheart!Elizabeth: No, the dress is taffeta. It wrinkles so easily.
- The scene on the front steps of the castle with Frederick, Igor, Inga, and Elizabeth. The entire film crew was laughing so hard they had trouble shooting it.Frederick: Igor, will you give me a hand with the bags?
Igor: Soitenly! You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the toiban! RAWWWR!
- On the DVD featurettes, you can see at least half a dozen failed takes of this scene where everyone cracks up. In one, Marty accidentally comes away with a piece of the fur stole hanging out of his mouth.
- Beforehand Frederick and Igor greet Elizabeth at the castle:Elizabeth: Darling!Frederick: Darling!Elizabeth: Surprised?Frederick: Surprised!Elizabeth: Love me?Frederick: Love you! Well, why don't we turn in? I'll just pay the driver.Igor: (to Elizabeth in the same manner as her) Darling!Elizabeth: Hello...?Igor: Surprised?Elizabeth: Well, yes.Igor: Love me?Elizabeth: I... (Frederick approaches)Igor: Say nothing, act casual (stares into space)
- "What knockers!"
- "Oh! Thank you, doctor!"
- The Puttin' On the Ritz' duet. It's pure majesty.
- Gene Wilder's dance after the light explodes and he tries to convince the monster to resume dancing. "Are you trying to make me look like a fool!?"
- "AAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII...ain't got no-bohhhoody, and nobody cares for me. Yakka ta ha..."
- "Eye-gor!" "Froderick!"
- "Call it...a hunch! Dadum-tiss!
- The three are planning how to make reanimation a success:Frederick: (reading his grandfather's work) "The minuteness of the parts formed a great hindrance to my speed, I resolved therefore to make the Creature of gigantic stature." Of course, that would simplify everything.Inga: In other words, his veins, his feet, his hands, his organs, would all have to be increased in size.Frederick: Exactly.Frederick: (beat) That goes without saying.Inga: Voof.Igor: He's gonna be very popular.
- The switch in the lab marked "The Works".
- Frankenstein's journal on reanimating dead tissue is titled, simply, "How I Did It".
- The fact that Marty Feldman kept shifting his Igor hump around inspired an ad-libbed joke from Gene Wilder: "Didn't you used to have that on the other side?"
- "No!...No, stop it, I won't say it!...No, I don't believe in fate...No...All right, I give, I give, I'll say it!! DESTINY! DESTINY! NO ES-CA-PING THAT FOR ME! DESTINY! DESTINY! NO ES-CA-PING THAT FOR ME!"
- The experiment has seemingly failed. All are having dinner. Frederick is morose.Igor: (wistful) You know, I'll never forget my old Dad when these things would happen to him, the things he'd say to me.Frederick: What did he say?Igor: (angry) "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN THE BATHROOM DAY AND NIGHT?! WHY DON'T YOU GET OUT OF THERE, GIVE SOMEONE ELSE A CHANCE?!" (goes back to eating, wistful again)
- PUT... THE CANDLE... BACK!
- "Take out the candle, and I'll block the bookcase with my body."
- Now listen to me very carefully...DON'T put the candle back. With all of your might, shove the other side of the bookcase. Is that perfectly clear?
- We hear Frankenstein start to say this in a strained voice before the camera cuts to him and his face wedged between the door and wall.
- PUT... ZE CANDLE... BECK!
- Inspector Kemp is a walking CMoF, though perhaps his best moment is the dart scene. "Nice grouping."
- The fact that he has a monocle over his eye patch.
- And of course his nigh-unintelligible accent.Crowd: What?
Kemp: *calmly* Wallowing in 'is grandfather's footschtops. *stamping his feet to demonstrate* Footschtops, footschtops!
Crowd: Ohhhhh, footsteps!
- "Would you like a roll in ze hay? It's fun! Roooooll, roooooooll, roll in ze haaaay!!!!"
- "Walk this way. (demonstrates with walking stick) This way, walk this way."
- When riding to the castle and hearing a howl:Inga: Werewolf!Igor: *pointing* There wolf. There castle.Frederick: Why are you talking like that?Igor: I thought you wanted to.Frederick: No, I don't want to.Igor: Suit yourself. I'm easy.
- "OOOHHH, SWEET MYSTERY OF LIFE, AT LAST I'VE FOUND YOOOOU!"
- "Say it! Say it! He...vas...MY...BOYFRIEND!!!"
- "Wait! Where are you going? I was going to make espresso!"
- And before that...Hermit: Wait! A toast...to friendship! [smashes his mug against the Creature's too roughly, breaking it]
Creature: *rolls his eyes in annoyance and disappointedly drops the handle on the table*
- The monster's reaction to him pouring hot soup in his lap and having his thumb lit instead of his cigar.
- And before that...
- The charades scene, where Frederick, being throttled, struggles to tell Inga and Igor to sedate the Monster. "SEDAGIVE?!" Even better in that the Monster and Frederick give each other an Aside Glance at that particular guess while The Monster is choking his creator.
- Igor's excited "Dirty word! He said a dirty word!"
- Frankenstein wants to talk to Igor about the brain. When he invites Igor to sit, Igor sits on the floor first before being offered a stool.Frederick: Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven-and-a-half foot long... fifty-four inch wide...(begins strangling Igor) GORILLA?!? Is - that - what - you're - telling - me!?!Igor: Quick, give 'im the- *starts making charades signs*Inga: Three syllables, yes- *banging on door interrupts the group*
- Frau Blücher finding Frederick and Inga post-coitus, which puts an uncomfortable frame on her message tha Frederick's fiancée is arriving shortly. Not only has Frederick motorized the elevator platform with a button to use it as a sex bed, but Frau Blücher ends the scene with the acerbic line "I suggest you put on a tie!"
- The Running Gag of FRAU BLÜCHER! (Dramatic thunderclap, horses whinny in fear).
- Especially Igor just popping out and shouting "Blücher" (*WHINNY*) to make the horses freak out, and Marty Feldman's impish grin.
- In The Musical, the horses whinny when she just mouths her name.
- Frederick tells the others not to let him out of the room while he's there alone with the monster, no matter what. Naturally, the instant the monster wakes up.Frederick: Let me out, let me out of here, get me the hell out of here. What's the matter with you people?! I was joking! Don't you know a joke when you hear one?! HA-HA-HA-HA! Jesus Christ, get me out of here! Open this goddamn door or I'll kick your rotten heads in! Mommy!
- The Monster's Aside Glance after he and Helga run out of petals to throw in the well, and she asks, "What shall we throw in now?" Yeah, he's seen that movie too.
- "You haven't even touched your food." "There. (mashes the food with his hands) Now I've touched it. Happy?"
- The Creature finally awakes while the three are having dessert:Igor: What is this?Frederick: Schwartzwalder Kirschtorte.Creature: (offscreen) Mmmmmmm!Frederick: (to Igor) Oh do you like it? I'm not partial to desserts but this is excellent.Igor: Who are you talking to?Frederick: You. You made a yummy sound so I thought you liked the dessert.Igor: I didn't make a yummy sound. I just asked you what it was.Inga: It wasn't me.Frederick: Well now look here if it wasn't you and it wasn't you- (gestures to himself in confusion; the gang all drop their silverware and rush to the lab).
- The Creature finally awakes while the three are having dessert:
- Frederick and Igor are digging up a grave:
- "Now, let us all go to my house for a little spongecake, und a little wine- [The monster accidentally pulls Kemp's wooden arm off] Und shit! [Holds and regards his arm for a second, then dramatically points to the door with it] To the lumberyard!"
- Prior to all this, as the townsfolk were storming the castle, they were using Kemp as a battering ram to get the doors open.
- According to the DVD Commentary, Mel Brooks had to stick a handkerchief in his mouth when filming most of the scenes so he wouldn't ruin them by laughing from behind the camera. He had to do the same for the entire crew.
- During Fredrick's train ride to New York there is an old couple complaining about their son's masturbating, with the husband saying the wife should just let him do what he wants. When Fredrick is on the train to Transylvania there is another old couple... who have the EXACT same conversation in German.
- Mel Brooks later gave the full story of how he broke it to the studio execs that the movie would be black and white, springing it to them literally on his way out the door after the deal was signed. As he describes it, there was soon a chorus of "thundering Jews" shouting after him that Peru had just gotten color theaters.
Funny / Young Frankenstein