After the death of her mother, Rose Halshford (Cosgrove) and her dad Jerry (Logue) relocate to a new home. After noticing strange elements around the house, Rose uncovers a sinister history regarding its previous owners, much to her father's disbelief.
This movie contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Marcus' mother was very authoritative. When she did not like her son's girlfriend, she forced him to kill her.
- Attempted Rape: Marcus tries to rape Rose. She escapes by stabbing him with a shard of glass.
- Ax-Crazy: And he's living deep inside the house!
- Basement-Dweller: Marcus was known to leave the house only for church. He stayed in the basement when the Halshfords moved in.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Cheri Garrison (Marcus' mom) is a famed member of their community church, but she did not agree of her son's relationship. Cheri locked Rachel in the basement and later forced Marcus to kill Rachel live in videotape.
- Cassandra Truth: Rose insists that there is something/someone inside the house that is responsible on the unusual things going on, including the disappearances of a young woman and the previous owner. She's right. Her father just dismisses her as developing the same illness that plagued Rose's mom.
- Catapult Nightmare
- Go-Go Enslavement: Marcus orders Rose to change her clothes with a revealing white dress, since he's planning to turn her into Rachel's substitute.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty
- Married to the Job: Jerry, most especially after his wife's death.
- Minimalist Cast: Excluding three posthumous characters, there are two main characters, one villain, and three supporting characters for a total of SIX.
- Missing Mom: Rose's mother died of schizophrenia. Since Rose is closer to her mom, this caused a rift between her and the workaholic Jerry.
- Ms. Fanservice: Rose
- Never Trust a Trailer: The trailers mislead you that Rose's female neighbor Leila or Austin Butler's creepy introduction are potential suspects. They're not.
- Nothing Is Scarier
- Psychopathic Man Child: Marcus
- Red Herring: The movie. No one in the trailer is the villain.
- Room Full of Crazy: The hidden basement is full of mangled dolls, a dress of a deceased girl, and messages etched on dilapidated walls.
- Satellite Love Interest: Noah
- Self-Made Orphan: Marcus fought and killed his mother after she forced him to kill his own girlfriend.
- Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Trailer: The main villain Marcus was never in the trailers and only appears by the third act.
- The Peeping Tom: Since he knows the entire house's layout, Marcus watches over Rose with voyeuristic obsession.
- Woman in White: Rose watches a video where Rachel (in a white dress) was killed. Marcus catches Rose and forces her to wear that same dress.