Serial killer Patrick Channing (Jeff Kober) is given the gas chamber after committing several demonic murders. His spirit is released and given power by the Devil. Now Detective Russell Logan (Lou Diamond Phillips), the cop that caught him, before must find a way to do it again.
- All Just a Dream:
- Detective Russ Logan has one where the gas is turned off in the Patrick's execution chamber and Patrick jumps through the mirrored wall to stab him, forcing Logan to shoot him in self-defense.
- At the end, Tess Seaton had one where Logan wakes up and attacks Tess. Or Was It a Dream?
- Body Snatcher: Channing has the ability to possess people, as well as animals.
- The Cameo: Bill Moseley as a bartender.
- Catchphrase: "See you around, buddy-boy."
- Child by Rape: At Patrick's childhood home, Tess has a psychic vision which reveals that he's the result of his mother being raped by her father.
- Deal with the Devil: Channing kills in Satan's name, who in turn granted him the power of possessing people upon death.
- Evil Sounds Deep: Channing's voice is this.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: One encounter with Patrick ends with him falling on a pipe, which impales his current temporal body.
- I Warned You: A nun named Sister Marguerite tries to convince her superiors that something must be done about Channing who is killing people with a satanic ritual. Her superiors ignore her.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Russ Logan breaks his promise to Tess Seaton not to have Channing be given the death penalty believing he deserved it.
- Rule of Three: The titular first power (resurrection) is one of the three powers Christ possessed, and which Channing is attempting to gain for himself.
- Super Window Jump
- Logan encounters Patrick in a chuch, which he leaves by doing a great physics-defying jump over Logan and through a stained class window.
- Patrick, in a body of a derelict woman, enters Logan's apartment by jumping through a window and grabbing him.