Two years after the events of Watchtower, Chase (Jesse Metcalfe) has continued to make increasingly dangerous runs into zombie-infested territory, attempting to figure out the truth behind the U.S. military's actions during the previous outbreak. During one such run, he discovers an imminent plot by the military to summarily execute every infected civilian by overloading their Zombrex chips.
Aided by a renegade Phenotrans executive George Hancock (Ian Tracey), an ex-military computer expert Sandra Lowe (Marie Avgeropoulos), and criminal acquaintance Garth (Patrick Sabongui), Jesse makes one last run into the infected territory to attempt to reach the military's server farm and stop General Lyons (Dennis Haysbert) plan.
This film provides examples of:
- The Cracker: Sandra is a skilled computer hacker that uses her skills to assist Chase in his investigations.
- Combat Pragmatist: There are a couple of pretty cool fight scenes where Chase is forced to dispatch a mob of zombies using whatever he can get his hands on.
- Defector from Decadence: George Hancock is a Phenotrans whistleblower who compels Chase and his team to enter a zombie-infested city to stop the military.
- Gratuitous Greek: If you look closely at the cages as the gang walks by the cages you'll notice they're labeled with Greek Lettering. Presumably, the good doctor's naming method was naming them after the Greek Alphabet.
- Homemade Inventions: The film once again features a heavy emphasis on the characters building elaborate combination weapons.
- Improvised Weapon: Wouldn't be a Dead Rising Film if it didn't have this trope.
- Intrepid Reporter: Chase is a reporter that continuously risks his life to find out the truth about the zombie outbreak.
- Love Interest: Sandra Lowe is introduced as Chases on-and-off girlfriend.
- Mad Scientist: Leo Rand (played by Billy Zane) is a cruel scientist who was hired by the government to find a cure for the raging zombie infection but instead is conducting horrendous experiments on the infected For Science!.
- Our Zombies Are Different: While characters in Endgame keep misidentifying the cause of the infection as a virus (it's explicitly a parasite in the games), they also start running into the "king" zombies from Dead Rising 3.
- Reports of My Death Were Greatly Exaggerated: Jordan shows up at the last second, having spent the last two years as a guinea pig for military experiments.
- Self-Surgery: Sandra cuts out her own Zombrex chip when it looks like she's not going to be able to shut down the servers before they can issue the overload command.