Dead Season is a 2012 horror film that follows two survivors, Elvis and Tweeter, as they flee mainland North America after a zombie outbreak. They reach an island off the coast of Miami, but as usual during the Zombie Apocalypse, other humans are a bigger threat than the zombies could even hope to be.
It's noteworthy among recent zombie movies in that it moves past the initial outbreak very quickly in order to spend more time on character development.
This film provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Tweeter has her moments.
- Attempted Rape: Tweeter is worried about it from the moment she sees Kurt's men. Then one of them actually tries it, and gets a machete to the sternum for his trouble.
- Overprotective Dad: Kurt doesn't allow Rachel to leave her bedroom, on the pretext that she wouldn't be able to handle life post-outbreak. She hasn't been outside in months.
- Shout-Out: The movie begins in Pittsburgh, site of the opening of the 1978 Dawn of the Dead.
- Weapon of Choice: Elvis always uses a sledgehammer. Tweeter favors a machete.
- Zombie Apocalypse: Your standard-issue Romero shamblers, with the nasty additional factor that their bites are always fatal. Amputation does not work to halt the spread of the infection.