- "Madness. Terror. Murder."
A series of brutal murders start happening all over the Tokyo area. All are committed by different, unrelated people, but there are two connections: All the victims have an x-shaped wound on their throats, and none of the killers can remember committing the crime. A detective investigating the case comes across a mysterious amnesiac who seems to be near every crime...
This film contains examples of:
- Arch-Enemy: Takabe has Mamiya, who spends the whole film psychologically tormenting him, and eventually drives him insane.
- Big Bad: Kunihiko Mamiya is responsible for all the murders.
- Calling Card: Each victim has an "X" carved into their bodies.
- Downer Ending: Mamiya manages to completely break Takabe. This leads to the former's death, but the latter takes up his crimes.
- One-Word Title
- Shout-Out: The first scene features Takabe's wife reading "Bluebeard."
- The Sociopath: Kunihiko Mamiya, an amnesiac Serial Killer who hypnotizes people into committing the most brutal of atrocities, and loves to play mind games with the detective pursuing him.