John Keith Vernon (born Adolphus Raymondus Vernon Agopsowicz; February 24, 1932 February 1, 2005) was a Canadian actor and voice actor. He was best known for playing the Mayor of San Francisco in Dirty Harry (1971), Fletcher in The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) and Dean Wormer in Animal House (1978).
His children (Kate, Nan, and Chris Vernon) are all actors in their own rights.
Films with pages on TV Tropes:
- Point Blank (1967): Mal Reese
- Topaz (1969): Rico Parra
- Dirty Harry (1971): The Mayor of San Francisco
- Charley Varrick (1973): Maynard Boyle
- Sweet Movie (1974): Aristote Alplanalpe
- Brannigan (1975): Ben Larkin
- The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976): Fletcher
- A Special Day (1977): Emanuele
- The Uncanny (1977): Pomeroy
- Animal House (1978): Dean Vernon Wormer
- Herbie Goes Bananas (1980): Prindle
- Airplane II: The Sequel (1982): Dr. Stone
- Curtains (1983): Jonathan Stryker
- Chained Heat (1983): Warden Backman
- Savage Streets (1984): Underwood
- Ernest Goes to Camp (1987): Sherman Krader
- Blue Monkey (1987): Roger Levering
- Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988): Curtis Mooney
- I'm Gonna Git You Sucka (1988): Mr. Big
- Sorority Boys (2002): Old Man
TV series with pages on TV Tropes:
- Tarzan (1968, episode "Rendezvous for Revenge"): Dan Burton
- Mission: Impossible (196972, six episodes): General Ramon Sabbattini, Colonel Josef Strom, Norman Shields, Ramon Fuego
- Hail to the Chief (1985, series regular for all seven episodes): General Hannibal Stryker
- Tales from the Crypt (1992, episode "Seance"): Mr. Chalmers
Voice acting roles with pages on TV Tropes:
- Heavy Metal (1981): Prosecutor
- Wildfire (1986): Wildfire
- SWAT Kats (1993): Rex Shard
- Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm (1996): Shao Kahn
- Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (2003): Rupert Thorne
- Delgo (2008): Nohrin Judge
- Batman: The Animated Series: Rupert Thorne
- The Incredible Hulk (1996): General Thunderbolt Ross
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy: Dean Toadblatt
Tropes associated with Vernon:
- Evil Sounds Deep: Had a big, bassy, commanding voice.
- Fake Nationality: Spent most of his career in America, playing Americans. He also played a Cuban military official in Topaz and an Italian fascist in A Special Day.
- Leslie Nielsen Syndrome: Like his fellow Saskatchewan native Nielsen, he largely turned to comedy later in his career, spurred on by his memorable Comically Serious turn in Animal House.
- Typecast: His career-defining turn as Dean Wormer meant he'd always be typecast as some kind of corrupt or immoral authority figure.