A fifteen year old boy raised by his divorced mother and lives with his well-meaning brother while working as a shoemaker.
- Beware the Nice Ones:
- Disappeared Dad: His father Takashi divorced his mother because she got fed up with his workaholic ways.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: At the end of it all, he finally gets together with Yukino.
- Nice Guy: He's generally a sweet person.
- Soul-Sucking Retail Job: He would rather be an artist than a shoemaker.
- Would Hit a Girl: He slaps Shōko for spreading lies about Yukari.
The local teacher who becomes Takao's love interest.
- Alliterative Name: Yukari Yukino.
- All of the Other Reindeer: The whole school seems to dislike Yukari due to her relationship with Shinji Makino, which led to her quitting her job.
- The Cameo: Yukari returns as a minor character in Your Name where she appears to have relocated to Itomori.
- Nice Girl: She actively tries to be this, but has issues.
Takao and Shota's self-absorbed mother.
- Adults Are Useless: She's too pretty and thoughtless to be of any help to her sons.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Not to the viewer, but it is implied she is a bitch in general to her sons because of their romantic pursuits.
- Took a Level in Kindness: In the novel, after seeing Nakajima becoming a successful student, she decides to become an administrative worker while treating her students with kindness.
- Obnoxious Entitled Housewife: Thinks that finding a new hubby is more important than the well-being of her sons.
Takao's ten years older brother.
The local bully who enjoys making Yukari miserable.
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council: How the hell does she go unpunished for spreading rumors about Yukino? The faculty believes in reputation rather than the well-being of their teaches.
- Alpha Bitch: She mocks and belittles people that go against her.
- Evil Is Petty: She makes fun of a teacher who has to work for a living. Justified as Yukari was dating her boyfriend.
- Freudian Excuse: She was hated by the other boys in her school because of her ugliness, but even that's no excuse for all the shit she pulled on Yukari.
- For the Evulz: She abuses those less popular than her merely for her own sadistic amusement. She doesn't even have a good relationship with her family either.
- Hate Sink: She's needlessly cruel to Yukari and the fact she told lies about her will surely get her underneath your skin.
- Jerkass: She's pretty mean-spirited to Takao and domineering to everyone in the school.
- Karma Houdini: She doesn't receive any punishment for being so cruel to Yukari. She does get confronted by Takao, but since the damage has already been done, it's hardly a real comeuppance. Sometime after the events of the film, she even gets a career guidance from her former teacher Sōichirō Ito.
- Kick the Dog: The fact that she spread nasty rumors about Yukari kills what little sympathy you might have for her.
- Operation: Jealousy: She bullies Yukari out of pure spite.
- Rich Bitch: Probably.
- Sadist: She clearly takes joy in making less popular students, and even teachers, miserable.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: She used to be fat.
- Woman Scorned: Though she victimizes Yukari more than her boyfriend Shinji, she is successful in getting her to quit her job.
Shōko's posse of bullies who harass Yukari.