open/close all folders
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Kensuke's parents run a kendo dojo, and his boisterous father frequently goes on overseas trips to take advantage of foreign fascination with samurai. He considers them an embarrassment and remarks to Kagura that it's better they don't come home.
- Covert Pervert: He's constantly imagining ecchi situations with Kagura — especially early on — and low-key freaking out about them. The only reason he agreed to join the Supernatural Disaster Countermeasures Department in the first place was because a gust of wind gave him a look at her panties.
- Energy Absorption: As a guardian of the White Priestess, he has the power to absorb and purify spirtual energy.
- Eye Color Change: When he taps into the Bane Stone shard that Yomi gave him to attack Mitogawa, his sclera turn black and his pupils into vertical slits.
- Face of a Thug: He's noted to sometimes have a scary appearance, causing a the ghost of a young girl who'd been following him and Kagura on their date to break down in tears.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: At the start of the series, anyways. He hated being able to see things no one else around him could see and felt like a freak. Meeting Kagura and other people with Spiritual power helped him finally feel normal.
- Master Swordsman: His father trained him extensively in kendo, and he continues to improve over the course of the series.
- The Power of Love: Kensuke is capable of channelling his love for Kagura in order to in order to absorb miasma, and can channel it into the Michael Revolution to cut through dimensions... though doing so gives him a temporary bald spot.
- Reincarnation: He is the reincarnation of Okama Zankuro's apprentice.
- Soul Power: He's noted to be spiritually powerful enough to see ghosts, which are drawn to him. He resented this ever since he was a child and lashed out at them until meeting Kagura, who is able to exorcise them.
- Sword Beam: Using the Michael 12, he could channel his spiritual energy into it and fire a blast powerful enough to wound the Tengu.
- The Ace: After she gets amnesia, she tries out various normal activities like cooking and sports and excels at all of them, garnering admiration from her classmates — as before her amnesia she had been holding back to uphold the masquerade.
- Apocalypse Maiden: As the host of the Kyuubi, she annihilates a sizable chunk of Tokyo and would have gone on to devastate all of Japan had she not been stopped.
- Amnesiac Hero: After being freed from the Kyuubi, she has amnesia and slowly regains her memories.
- Closet Key: For Izumi, who realizes she is a lesbian after falling in love with Kagura.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Kagura has both Yomi and Izumi express an attraction towards her — the later mostly because she's the pseudo-reincarnation of the former.
- Eye Color Change: When tapping into the full power of the Bane Stone, her sclera turn black with pupil-less irises; though she stops just before fully succumbing to its corruption and becoming an onryō like Yomi.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: When Setsuna Imawano mortally wounds Kensuke, Kagura releases the seal on her Bane Stone shard and willingly taps into its dark power in an attempt to obliterate her, nearly transforming into an onryō like Yomi had.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Ga-Rei Zero reveals her relationship with Yomi was like this while the latter was still alive, with them bathing together and playing the Pocky game.
- She Is All Grown Up: As lecherously observed by Noriyuki, in the two years between Ga-Rei Zero and Ga-Rei Kagura went from being a young girl to a young woman; and as a result of Art Evolution continued to become increasingly busty over the course of the series.
- Supernatural Martial Arts: She's a skilled martial artist with superhuman physical abilities.
- Summon Magic: She has an inugami called Shiro/Byakuei sealed inside her, which she uses to vanquish evil spirits.
- But Not Too Foreign: She's part-Japanese, part European; being descended from a sect of onmyōji who escaped overseas and got involved in organized crime.
- Daddy's Little Villain: She was raised in a culture of organized crime and taught to kill from a young age, molding her into a Social Darwinist with a secret desire for a normal life. She sought to claim the Bane Stones for her father so that he could rule over the world of organized crime, but after he was fatally wounded protecting her from her own sister his last words for her were to live a normal life.
- HeelFace Turn: She was an antagonist during the first half of the Juugondō arc, but she became an ally and close friend of Kagura and Kensuke after her sister tried to kill her and doing some soul-searching with Izuna.
- Fin Gore: While trying to help Kagura and Izumi escape the SDCD, she gets the fingers on her left hand cut off.
- Forced into Evil: She was forced into the role of a Mafia Princess from a young age, and goes along with her father's plans because she feels there's no turning back or redemption.
- Gratuitous English: She peppers her speech with short English sentences to highlight the fact that she's not from Japan.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: She confesses to Kensuke that deep down she just wants a normal life free from the death and corruption of organized crime, though she sees herself as too-far gone — at least until her father sacrifices himself to save her and she's taken in by the SDCD.
- Ms. Fanservice: She's a busty half-foreign girl who blatantly flirts with Kensuke, propositions that he become her "slave" in lieu of her just cutting him open to get the Bane Stone shard embedded in his body, jokingly offering to sleep with him, and opening her shirt to expose her Bane stone... and ample cleavage.
- The Rival: She is initially one to Kagura; taking a liking to Kensuke and flirting with him, while seeking to collect all the Bane Stone shards in order to seize control of the criminal underworld for her father.
- Tsundere: After her HeelFace Turn, she acts like Kagura is still her enemy but it's obvious that they're friends.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Like her sister, she has white hair and is a member of a criminal syndicate; though after her HeelFace Turn it loses this significance.
- Ambiguously Bi: Izumi develops a very blatant crush on Kagura and angsts about it during the "Spiritual Consultant" arc. After Kagura rescues her and Yomi from the SDCD, Izumi tells Kagura that while at first she thought she was "turning lesbian" she now knows her feelings stem from Yomi's love bleeding over into her — though she states she has no intention of giving up on Kagura and she would be OK with being in a relationship with her. However, the epilogue implies she hooked up with Tanaka.
- Back from the Dead: She was killed during the Kyuubi's attack on Tokyo, but was resurrected by Kagura.
- Gayngst: During the "Spiritual Consultant" arc she angsts to Tanaka about her crush on Kagura, wondering if she's strange for liking another girl.
- If It's You, It's OK: Insists that she's not a lesbian, but admits she would be fine with hooking up with Kagura.
- Incompatible Orientation: Due to Yomi's feelings for Kagura bleeding over into her, Izumi develops a crush on Kagura. However, when she confesses her feelings to Kagura while the latter is amnesic, she is turned down for Kensuke despite Kagura not possessing any memories of her relationship with him.
- Ironic Fear: She's initially terrified of ghosts — ironic for someone who's technically dead, and due to Yomi possessing her she attracts them like flies to rotting meat.
- Living on Borrowed Time: She was killed during the Kyuubi's attack, but Kagura unwittingly resurrected her by implanting Yomi's soul into her body. It's speculated that Izumi would die again if Yomi were separated from her, but when Yomi does so after becoming the Black Priestess Izumi is shown to be fine.
- Morality Pet: She serves as one for Yomi, who would've committed suicide had it not meant taking Izumi's life as well.
- Sharing a Body: It's revealed that Yomi's soul was implanted into her body, enabling the onryō to sometimes takes control of her.
- What the Hell, Hero?: When the SDCD casually kill the corrupted ghost of her father right in front of her, she lashes out at them in rage, though the SDCD disregard her protests and insist they're doing the right thing in purging the spirits.
Supernatural Disaster Countermeasures Department
- Mystical White Hair: She's got white hair — or at least a wig — signifying her status as the heir of one of the most-powerful onmyōji families in Japan.
- Familiar: Her Shikigami.
- It's Personal: Goes after an onry! that took out her Shikigami, seeing as an insult to her pride.
- Onmyōdō: Uses all the trappings.
- Paper Talisman: Her weapon of choice are ofuda charms and shikigami, which she can use to create humanoid constructs and deflect attacks.
- Put on a Bus: She starts out as one of the main characters but is quickly sidelined and returns to Kyoto after the SDCD is shut down.
- Shipper on Deck: She tries to get Kagura to confess her feelings for Kensuke, and supports their relationship.
- Altar Diplomacy: He was engaged to Yomi solely because his father wanted a piece of the Isayama family's prestige, and as soon as Yomi was crippled and accused of murder the engagement was cancelled.
- Beast Master: of a group of tube foxes
- Blind Weaponmaster: He's blinded by Mitogawa, but this doesn't slow him down at all and most people don't even realize he can't see.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Looks and acts like a incredibly sketchy Handsome Lech, yet is a very skilled fighter and an effective mentor to multiple characters.
- Familiar: The tube foxes. He uses them for spying and battle.
- Guardian Entity: He's bonded to a pack of tube foxes that he uses to gather information and spy on people.
- Handsome Lech: He flirts with just about every attractive girl he meets, which is a source of annoyance for Kagura but plays into his Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass schtick.
- Magic Staff: He wields a Buddhist khakkhara as a polearm, and can use it to channel his onmyōdō.
- Plot-Triggering Death: He is killed when the Japanese government decides to assassinate Izumi/Yomi in order to prevent her from awakening to her destiny as the Black Priestess. This pushes Yomi across the Despair Event Horizon again and causes her to embrace said destiny as the Black Priestess.
- The Trickster: His easygoing and cheerful personality, conman tendencies, and lecherous attitude have him called a trickster by many of the other characters, though he's capable of being serious when the situation calls for it.
- I Was Quite a Looker: In her youth during World War II, she was an attractive young woman.
- Miniature Senior Citizens: She's a positively tiny middle-aged woman and Koyoko's grandmother.
- Mystical White Hair: While she's now bald and wears a wig, in her youth she had white hair signifying her mystical prowess.
- Old Soldier: She was a young woman during World War II, and faced off against Shizuru Imawano's father — who was fighting on the side of the Americans.
- But Not Too Foreign: He's a tall man with white hair and occidental features, and usually lives in Australia; but he has a Japanese last name, indicating that he's at least partially of Japanese descent.
- Mr. Fanservice: He's a very well-built man who wears nothing but a fundoshi — traditional Japanese undergarments. This has gotten him arrested for indecent exposure in the past...
- Occidental Otaku: He's from Australia, but lives in isolation in the mountains of Japan and practises both Japanese swordsmithing and spiritual techniques.
- Powered Armor: He dons a suit of totally-not-Iron Man armor to hold off the SDCD when they try to kill Yomi following her resurrection.
- Ultimate Blacksmith: He can turn just about anything — even a clothes iron — into a tool for exorcism.
- Guardian Entity: He can summon a two-headed samurai Shikigami called Shuwaretsu.
- Hero of Another Story: He's the protagonist of the spinoff Ga-Rei: Tsuina no shou.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While very abravise and aloof, the spinoff makes it clear that he does have a good side and that some of his attitude towards others comes form trauma.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: He advocated for killing Kagura when she became the Kyuubi's host, and for killing Izumi when she was discovered to contain Yomi's soul.
- My Greatest Failure: Rushed into a fight as a child that resulted in his parents getting killed.
- Mystical White Hair: Like his sister and grandmother, he has white hair signifying his status as a powerful onmyōji.
- Apocalypse Maiden: She is chosen by the Kyuubi to be the Black Priestess, destined to bring about the destruction of humanity. Sozaemon realizes that destroying her as the Black Priestess would prove to the World that humanity is beyond redemption and instigate the final stage Destruction Program, and has the other onmyōji stand down.
- Ax-Crazy: In the manga, after being corrupted by the Bane Stone she becomes consumed by bloodlust and hatred, slaughtering those who were once her comrades and maniacally declaring her intent to destroy everything.
- Battle Aura: As the Black Priestess, she radiates an aura of miasma that intensifies when she's angry.
- Bare Your Midriff: Happens this quite often thanks to the loose and short seifuku shirt Yomi wears.
- As illustrated in Chapter 10, Shishio is a black-bladed nodachi as long as Yomi is tall.
- After accepting her role as the Black Priestess, Yomi manifests a massive nine-branched sword.
- Bi the Way: She was begrudgingly (at first) engaged to Izuna Noriyuki, and though her father offered to cancel the engagement she decided to go with it out of duty and obligation. However, while she was alive she was very flirtatious towards Kagura — even kissing her to swipe the last bite of Pocky. After her resurrection, her jealousy towards Kensuke's relationship with Kagura so intense that Izumi can feel it; and when confessing her feelings to Kagura, Izumi states that the love she feels for Kagura is bleeding over from Yomi. However, Izumi states that Yomi's love for Kagura is "sisterly" and in the epilogue she and Izuna have gotten back together as ghosts.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: As an onryō and the Black Priestess, she has black sclera, red irises, and Hellish Pupils that accentuate her corrupted status.
- Breakout Villain: While she was vanquished at the end of the first arc, the popularity of Ga-Rei -Zero- led to her being brought back as one of the good guys.
- Broken Pedestal: Becomes one for Kagura after she realizes Yomi did kill Mei, and her rejection is what pushes Yomi over the brink of her Despair Event Horizon and causes her to accept Mitogawa's offer of a Bane Stone shard.
- Cool Sword: In life and as an onryō, she wielded a supernatural nodachi called Shishio, which contained the nue Ranguren. As the Black Priestess, she can summon a seven-branched BFS.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Izumi notes that whenever she looks at Kensuke and Kagura together she feels disquieting jealousy, and after Yomi takes over to save Kagura from the Jinmengyo she quietly whispers that she won't let anyone take Kagura from her again.
- Guardian Entity: After Byakuei is killed by Kirin, Yomi's love for Kagura lets her purge herself of the miasma corrupting her soul and take Byakuei's place to save Kagura's life. In the epilogue, she's shown as a ghost giving Kagura and Kensuke kendo lessons, and going on group dates with them and Izuna.
- Hellish Pupils: In the manga, her pupils become vertical slits after she's corrupted by the Bane Stone and as the Black Priestess. After divesting herself of miasma, her eyes go back to normal.
- HeelFace Revolving Door: She was originally a good person, but was corrupted by a Bane Stone shard and became the manga's first villain. She was "resurrected" by Kagura and became one of the main characters, showing remorse for her past villainy; but after being pushed over the Despair Event Horizon she embraces her destiny as the Black Priestess and tries to destroy the world. In the end, Izumi, Kensuke, and Kagura manages to talk her down, and Yomi bonds with her to save her life after Byakuei is killed.
- Incompatible Orientation: Izumi states that her feelings for Kagura come from Yomi, but as far as Kagura is concerned their relationship is sisterly... despite Yomi having kissed and flirted with her while alive, and expressed jealous possessiveness towards her.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: In Episode 11 of Ga-Rei Zero, Yomi tries to cut her own throat and commit seppuku, but cannot due to the Bane Stone. After her resurrection, she attempts to decapitate herself only to be reminded that committing suicide would mean killing Izumi as well, and asks Kensuke to kill her instead.
- Omnicidal Maniac: As an onryō, she intended to disrupt Tokyo's reimyaku to summon the Tengu, assimilate it, and destroy Japan.
- Pet the Dog: She ejects herself from Izumi's body while becoming the Black Priestess so as to not taint her soul with miasma.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: On the cover of Volume 3 her Bane Stone-augmented onryō form is shown with red hair, as opposed to the black hair she had in life.
- Protagonist Journey to Villain: Ga-Rei Zero chronicles the story of her fall from one of the Countermeasures Department's top exorcists to the murderous onryō introduced in the manga's first arc, and provided her with such a surge in popularity that she was brought back as a main character.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: The cover of Volume 3 depicts her with red irises in her onryō form.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: After the Bane Stone-corrupted Mei kills her father, Yomi goes berserk and kills her.
- Sharing a Body: She's "resurrected" by having her soul implanted into the recently-deceased Izumi Isoyama, effectively turning Yomi into a Split Personality that takes over when Izumi or Kagura are in danger.
- Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl: She was corrupted by a Bane Stone shard implanted into her by Kazuhiro Mitogawa, which even before her death turned her into an onryō.
- Together in Death: She and Izuna — who refused to pass on after his death — are shown to be a couple again as ghosts.
- Animal Motif: He can summon and transform into a swarm of creepy butterflies, and can sprout butterfly wings to fly.
- Big Bad: Of the first few arcs of the manga and of Ga Rei Zero, having masterminded Yomi's corruption in order to gather the Bane Stones, summon the Kyuubi, and resurrect his mother.
- The Corrupter: Mitogawa serves as this to several characters, namely Mei and Yomi, through use of the Bane Stone shards.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: Mitogawa's goals in serving Tamamo-no-Mae remain a mystery, and during the second half of the Juugondō arc he helps both Kagura's group and the Juugondō — maintaining that he's a neutral party whose goal is to see the rivival of the Kyuubi.
- Eye Scream: He replaced his left eye with a Bane Stone.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: His goal was to resurrect his mother, who is disgusted by the carnage he wrought and kills him herself.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: He picked Yomi as one of the candidates to become the Kyuubi's host, but destroys her by ripping out her Bane Stone — which he had bequeathed to her in the first place — after she fails to unleash the Tengu.
- Big Bad: She becomes the main villain of the second arc, seeking to wipe out the Countermeasures Department (and all-but succeeding) and nearly claiming possession of the completed Bane Stone.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: When she taps into the power of her Bane Stone shards, her sclera turn black.
- But Not Too Foreign: She's part-Japanese, part European.
- Mafia Princess: She's the leader of the Juugondō, a sect of onmyōji who escaped overseas and got involved in organized crime.
- Mismatched Eyes: Her Eye of Satori has a white iris and vertically-slitted pupil, enabling her to read minds.
- Night of the Living Mooks: Most of her European Juugondō subordinates are undead — with many of them being Shout Outs to horror movie monsters like Dracula and Pinhead.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Her goal was to use the Bane Stones to start an eternal war, and sees both her own sister and subordinates as expendable.
- Self-Made Orphan: She murders her own father to take over the Juugondō.
- White Hair, Black Heart: She is a white-haired gangster who believes that War Is Glorious and wants to start a Forever War.
- Ambition Is Evil: Her fatal flaw is her ambition, which her Bane Stone shard drove up to eleven.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: May intervenes when her father tries to persuade Naraku to make her the leader of the Isayama clan, and says that Yomi is a much better choice despite not being blood-related. She later reveals that she did so intending for Yomi to have a tragic "accident" so that she could take over. After she's killed by Mitogawa and is resurrected with a Bane Stone, she kills her uncle under the Sesshoseki's control and later taunts Yomi over it.
- Dying as Yourself: She is freed from the Bane Stone shard's influence just after gloating that she murdered Yomi's father. Her last words are a desperate attempt to explain what happened and plead for mercy that goes unheard as Yomi brutally kills her in a vengeful rage.
- Naginatas Are Feminine: Mei wields a naginata disguised as a parasol.
- Reforged into a Minion: She's killed by Mitogawa and resurrected using a Bane Stone shard, leading to her murdering Yomi's father to usurp control of the clan.
- Smug Snake: She goes out of her way to be cruel to Yomi and especially Kagura.
- Black Eyes of Evil: Okama's eyes are solid black, highlighting his nature as an evil spirit.
- Co-Dragons: They manifested to serve Yomi in her role as the Black Priestess, and guide her towards bringing about the end of the world.
- The Corruptible: Okama had been a samurai exorcist during the Sengoku Period before he came across one of the Bane Stones and was turned into an onryō, forcing his apprentice to kill him.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: The Land God in a towering man with an impressive white beard and hair, and Hades Shaded skin. He also describes himself as a harbinger of the end of the world.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Okama Zankuro is a man, but is so pretty that he is mistaken for a woman.
- Enemy Mine: For the interests of protecting Yomi, they form a brief alliance with Kagura, Kensuke, and the other protagonists.
- Fallen Hero: Okama Zankuro and Hattori Naizou were once exorcists who belonged to the same organization that evolved into the SDCD, but are now extremely powerful onryō.
- Redemption Equals Death: Impressed by Kensuke's determination even in the face of certain death, Okama has a sudden Heel Realization and sacrifices himself to stop Kirin from devouring the protagonists.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: Okama and Izuna hit it off right away, and he and Hattori Naizou are shown having a playful snowball fight with Izuna and Michael in Chapter 45.
- Physical God: The Land God is an entity born from the will and power of the planet, and reveals that both the Tengu and Kyuubi are the same sort of divine beings. He was even worshipped in ancient times as a god of the land.
- Master Swordsman: Being an onryō of exceptional power, Okama can draw and wield his sword better than any human.
- Ninja: Hattori Naizou is a shinobi who wears a Batman-esque outfit.
- Casanova Wannabe: He's jealous of Kensuke's popularity with girls, and tries to flirt with Kagura and Izumi to no avail.
- Locked Out of the Loop: While he was aware spirits existed, he couldn't see them himself and had no idea Kensuke and Kagura were exorcists. He also remains oblivious to the fact that his father nearly died in a landslide and became possessed by a Bane Stone.
- Occult Detective: Decides to put Kensuke and Kagura's supernatural abilities to use as Spiritual Consultants, not realizing had until-recently been employed by the Japanese government as exorcists.
- Put on a Bus: He starts off as a side character for comic relief purposes, but becomes a main character during the Spiritual Consultant arc. However, when things get serious again he's sidelined once more.
- Shipper on Deck: He supports Izumi x Kagura purely because he thinks Girl-on-Girl Is Hot.
- Strong Family Resemblance: Tanaka and his father have a clear family resemblance.
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: His father is a salaryman who begrudgingly gives it his all despite hating his job — making him vulnerable to being taken over by a Bane Stone. While Tanaka doesn't dwell on it, he does remark to his father that they should spend more time together doing things they both enjoy, like playing rock music.
- Eating the Enemy: Kagrua's main method of dispatching monsters is to summon Byakuei to devour them.
- Extra Eyes: In his Bane Stone-corrupted form he has four eyes on each head.
- Fusion Dance: Byakuei fuses with the Tengu to become a deity capable of going toe-to-toe with the Asura Kyuubi.
- Guardian Entity: He is bound to the head of the Tsuchimiya clan, protecting them if they face a monster they cannot overcome on their own.
- Multiple Head Case: In his Bane Stone-corrupted form he has two heads.
- Multiple-Tailed Beast: In his Bane Stone-corrupted form he has two tails.
- Our Dragons Are Different: He's actually an inugami, but due to being corrupted by a Bane Stone he initially resembles a dragon. Once it's removed he's restored to his original canine form.
- Sealed Badass in a Can: He is sealed inside the body of the head of the Tsuchimiya clan, his current host being Kagura.
- Sleep-Mode Size: After the battle with Kyuubi, he is reverted to a tiny puppy-like form — though he can resume his true form when Kagura is in danger.
- Spontaneous Weapon Creation: He can pull a two-bladed holy sword from his tail, which in Kagura's hands essentially becomes a dual-bladed lightsaber.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: His two-headed draconic form is the result of him being corrupted by a Bane Stone fragment.
- Reincarnation: He's initially stated to be an incarnation of the Kyuubi that manifested shortly after it was vanquished, though he's eventually shown to be an inugami corrupted by one of the Bane Stones. In the epilogue, Byakuei and Kirin are shown to have been reborn as puppies, curled up together in the form of a yin yang.
- Black Eyes of Evil: After absorbing a shard of the Bane Stone its eyes turn solid black.
- Fusion Dance: He is assimilated by Byakuei, becoming a light counterpart to Asura Kyuubi.
- Horned Humanoid: It has a massive jagged horn jutting from its forehead.
- Physical God: It's a god of destruction so powerful it could decimate Japan if it was unsealed.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Consuming a piece of the Bane Stone caused its lips and cheeks to disappear, exposing its teeth.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: It was sealed beneath Hibiya Park. Yomi manages to partially unseal it, but it's sealed away again.
- Wave Motion Gun: It can fire a massive beam of spiritual energy from its horn powerful enough to slice through buildings like a hot knife through butter.
- Nested Mouths: It has a very Xenomorph-esque telescopic inner jaw that it uses to devour spirits.
- Sea Monster: It's an aquatic beast with a head like a sperm whale, a body like an eel's, and catfish barbels.
- Sealed Badass in a Can: It's sealed in a dagger wielded by Shizuru.
- Shock and Awe: It possesses electrical abilities, and can fire powerful bolts of lightning.
- All Asians Wear Conical Straw Hats: He wears a tiny kasa hat.
- Animal Companion: Begins staying with our heroes after his introduction.
- Living Structure Monster: He can transform into a nigh-indestructible nurikabe, using it to shield others from danger.
- The Lost Lenore: His mate was corrupted by a Bane Stone and became an onryō, crumbling away when it was removed. His mate's ghost returns in the finale and they resume their relationship in the epilogue.
- Animalistic Abomination: It vaguely resembles a massive nine-tailed fox... except its tails are tentacles, it has scales, and is comprised of corrupted spiritual energy so potent that even people without True Sight can see it. It's later revealed to be an entity that plays a key role in the destruction and restoration of the world.
- The Chooser of The One: Upon creating Naraku, it selects the candidates for the White Priestess and Black Priestess — choosing Kagura due to her being the latest in a long lineage of onmyōji and ties to Byukuei (despite her also being its host at the time, and therefore at risk of death and/or turning into an onryō), and Yomi as the Black Priestess based on Kagura's memories and her having embraced the darkness out of a desire to escape her fate.
- The Corruption: Its spiritual energy gives those who use the Bane Stone shards superhuman abilities, but corrupts them into onryō unless they take ample precautions.
- Destroyer Deity: Okama and the Land God refer to it as such when speaking about the Destruction Program and Yomi's role as the Black Priestess, saying it was born from the will of the planet to purify the land of Japan — absorbing the kegare produced by humanity's hatred in order to create a zone of intense miasma called Naraku. The Bane Stones and Tamamo-no-Mae factor into the Destruction Program by corrupting spirits and selecting candidates for the role of the Black Priestess.
- God of Evil: Mitogawa refers to it as such, saying it devastated three dynasties in India and China — a reference to the legend of Tamamo-no-Mae.
- Sealed Evil in a Six Pack: Its power was sealed into the ten Sesshoseki or Bane Stones. The goal of the antagonists — particularly Mitogawa and Setsuna — is to assemble the Bane Stones and summon the Kyuubi to get a wish granted.
- Shrouded in Myth: It's so ancient that the details of its origin and history have become lost to time and legend, and it's reputed to just be an exceptionally powerful Spirit-Beast when it's actually something much worse.
- Evil Counterpart: It is one to Byakuei, being a dark canid beast bound to Yomi in her role as the Black Priestess.
- Fusion Dance: It absorbs the Asura formed from Naraku to become a three-headed version of Kyuubi.
- Reincarnation: It coalesced from remnants of the Kyuubi after it was destroyed by Kensuke and Byakuei. In the epilogue, he and Byakuei and Kirin are shown to have been reborn as puppies, curled up together in the form of a yin yang.