YMMV / Deadpool
The Stuff Dealing with My Movie
for details, but I don't get to commentate there...
The Stuff Dealing with My Comics
- Acceptable Targets: All the currently dead Presidents of the United States, up to and including Gerald Ford. Hey, I'm Canadian. I got no problem slashing their hearts off, especially if they're trying to raise an army.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: There are plenty of ways to alternatively interpret my character! Am I genuinely insane, or just faking it to catch my enemies off guard? Am I a total psycho or MISUNDERSTOOD WOOBIE WHO JUST NEEDS TO BE LOVED?! Heroic Comedic Sociopath, Anti-Hero, or Villain Protagonist? The only sane person in this universe? All of the above? You decide!
- People just can't seem to agree on which way I swing. It's been argued about ever since my delightful mancrush on Cable. Marvel and the writers seem to have decided upon me being omnisexual or bisexual in denial. Not that I'm in denial about anything!
- Badass Decay: Can you believe Slayback and T-Ray were trouble once? Then again someone had a Wayto take the badass out of my old nemesis.
- Better Than Canon: ItsJustSomeRandomGuy's "Rorschach and Deadpool" videos, as implied by the Tropers who added scenes from it to my pages.
- Bizarro Episode: "Wakandan Vacation", a 1968 comic that remained unpublished until 2013, took me on a very trippy and random adventure, in the vein of cosmic/fantasy Silver Age comics. My search for four mysterious puzzle pieces took me to such far-off places as the Savage Land and the Negative Zone, and pitted me against several types of creatures. It ended with Odin taking me to Asgard, which I discovered runs on some cosmic baby's doody, then plopping me in the worst place he could think of - The Marvel Universe of the '90s. Your guess is as good as mine how I got to the '70s after that.
- Broken Base:
- There are several of my fans that argue about whether Daniel Way's run on my book was good or not. This may or may not overlap with Flanderization.
- Some people enjoyed watching me kill the Marvel Universe! Others apparently didn't have as much fun with it.
- People seem to enjoy my fourth wall breaking humor and while others find it too obnoxious and "lolrandom" for their tastes. For those who hate me, look behind you..
- Cant Un Hear It: Odds are that some people are reading my pages in Nolan North's voice. Or perhaps, Ryan Reynolds.
- Cargo Ship: If DeviantArt is anything to go by, some people ship me with my gun.
- Complete Monster: Oh, Bullseye, that lovable psycho! He and I hang out together, you know! Okay, I'm not exactly approving of how he kills a bunch of people for no real reason and never even spends the money he makes, or how he makes it his mission in life to murder everyone Ol' Hornhead cares about. Or the time he hooked up with Norman Osborn and was a total liability to that whole Dark Avengers thing because of his total inability not to murder people at the drop of a hat! And he tries to kill me! Me of all people! Just cause he can! So... Why do I hang out with him again...?
- Crazy Awesome: That's me. A big sexy hunk of Crazy Awesome.
- Crossover Ship: Yeah, some people actively want me to get with that Joker dude's sidekick, Harley Quinn or whatever. Gotta say, I'm lovin' the black and red...but first of all, have you SEEN that Joker guy?! He's crazier than me! And she's in love with him? Yeah, I doubt that one's happening for a long, long time. Second of all, I don't want it to end up like how this guy pictured it.◊ Ouch...
- Dork Age: Rumor has it that the main reason why I became the nut I am today is because fans of Spider-Man were getting sick of the constant Wangst Peter Parker was going through during The Clone Saga.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: I manage to be this in most of the adaptions when I'm in them, but the only adaption I get to myself so far is my games and movies which don't get as much of budget as what some other characters have.
- Everyone loves my supporting cast too, like Bob and Blind Al. What can I say? I hang out some cool dudes and dudettes!
- Fandom Berserk Button:
- What happened to me in X-Men Origins: Wolverine; lets just say, not many of my fans take kindly to the way I was written.
- To a lesser extent, some aspects of my fanbase go nuts whenever Rob Liefeld is praised for my existence. Its pretty much agreed that all he did was design my costume and commission my existence, while Fabien Nicieza gave me a fun voice that was later developed into my wacky, lovable self. Poor Nicieza never gets any credit; it doesn't help that Rob is pretty vocal about his own beliefs in his credit to my creation.
- Fountain of Memes: What can I say? I'm just that quotable. For example, CHIMICHANGAS! Taunt button! House blowing up builds character. And more!
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: My hilarious sex-scene with Carmen Camacho takes on a darker turn in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly arc.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: I am very popular in Japan. Then again, given my reputation and the kind of stuff they like in Japan, it's not too surprising.
- Growing the Beard: I was just a lame Deathstroke rip-off with a cool costume until good ol' Joe Kelly got his hands on me and got me far away from Rob Liefeld.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- "Hey, if you looked like Ryan Reynolds crossed with a shar-pei, you'd understand!" Although Avi Arad had said, before any production of a Wolverine movie, that if my wonderful face was ever to be portrayed onscreen, he wanted Ryan to be my face.
- This scene. "You ever play Street Fighter? SHORYUKEN!" In Marvel vs. Capcom 3, I decided to use it. And before that, the guys at Udon went and had Ryu reference that scene in their Street Fighter comic! I tell ya, it's the gift that keeps on giving!
- In a Shakespeare in Love pastiche, I pine, "My kingdom for a Gwyneth!" Iron Man later beat me to her.
- Way back in issue 2 of my ongoing, I hung out in a tree watching the lovely Siryn sleep, and musing that while doing so might once have been considered romantic, nowadays we call it stalking and find it creepy. Guess that pansy Edward Cullen didn't get the memo, as a full eight years later he was doing the same thing and trying to pass it off as romantic again.
- My Marvel NOW! series introduced two SHIELD agents as new supporting characters, including one named and modeled after Scott Adsit. The real Adsit would go on to voice another Marvel-owned character, Baymax, in Disney's Big Hero 6 movie and show. It got even crazier when another VA from the film, Fred's T. J. Miller, landed the role of Weasel in my movie.
- Ho Yay: Putting aside the massive amounts of Ho Yay between me and Cable, there's plenty more where that came from.
- Bullseye hero-worships me to the point where it starts smelling rather Ho Yay-ish in Dark Reign, going so far as to imagine me as something of his savior from the teachers and kids he hated in school. He cried when we said goodbye! Heck, back in Joe Kelly's run, he mentioned he liked me because I make him laugh. I'm probably the nearest thing he has to a friend... when we aren't trying to kill each other. Which I usually don't take seriously; I don't know about him. Really!
- AND WAS IT JUST ME OR DID STEVE BLUSH WHEN HE WAS GOING TO SIT ON MY LAP? Whew, got a little excited there. I mean, we are talking about Captain America after all.
- Logan and I get a good amount of this. Especially in one of my team up's with him.
- I get loads of this with Spider-Man. Sadly it's more one-sided than with the other guys.
- Hollywood Homely: Depending on the Artist. Sometimes I really am as grotesquely hideous as they all say, but sometimes I just look like a normal dude with bad acne.
- It's Popular, Now It Sucks: Hey, come on! Just because of all the new meat bought in by X-Men Origins: Wolverine and the surge from my movie? OK, the former does have reason why it should be hated (Dudepeel... what were they thinking?!) and maybe having all these new comic titles to my name might be a little ridiculous, but my movie? It's great!
- Love It or Hate It: Hey, what can I say? I'm better at provoking polarized emotional reactions (both in-universe and out) than Andy Kaufman! *sniff* I miss you, Andy...
- Magnificent Bastard: What can I say? When I pull off a badass stunt of tricking everyone, I pull it off WITH STYLE!
- Memetic Troll: I'm unquestionably a Troll in-universe, and the fact I'm fond of Breaking the Fourth Wall just helped me to get this reputation to Memetic Mutation level. Any fictional character you can come up with, there's probably fan-art out there of me being a dick to them while winking at you fellas.
- Moral Event Horizon:
- My Real Daddy: Is Joe Kelly. Thanks for nothing, Rob. Okay, maybe thanks for all those sweet, delicious pouches, but that's it! Oh and quick shout-out to Gerry Duggan. Old Wario there helped a lot of people take me seriously from time to time rather than just me being the silly joke man.
: Also, Gail Simone
is My Real Mommy
. Why don't I have two mommies?
- Nightmare Fuel:
- The Box. Whenever I get serious. People forget I can be a scary guy. 'Cause, you see, I am actually one of the most dangerous men on the planet. Think about that. I am more dangerous than Norman Osborn. Me. More dangerous than Norman.
- The Puppet Master making a guy eat his own hand.
- "Wade Wilson's War", when the Thing shows my face under my mask.
- One-Scene Wonder: Ryan Reynolds as me toward the beginning of X-Men Origins: Wolverine. It's best not to talk about what happens to me later on in the film.
- So Okay, It's Average: Daniel Way's run on my book.
- Take That, Scrappy!: In Deadpool Kills Deadpool I got to stab that asshole Ultimate Universe version of me to death.
- I also did that in my movie as an action figure.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: A lot of my fans reacted this way to my portrayal in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.
- Unpopular Popular Character: What is that suppose to mean? Everybody loves me!
- "Weird Al" Effect: Interesting case where I haven't completely eclipsed Deathstroke, but I'm still more famous than him.
- The Woobie: Iron Woobie, Stoic Woobie, and Jerkass Woobie all in one. Yeah, life ain't exactly kind to me. Never has been. I don't like to let people know, though. Being insane and abrasive is already a pretty nice way to deal with my troubles.
- Ugly Cute: Tying into the Hollywood Homely thing, I can actually be pretty attractive sometimes, even if I'm covered in tumor-induced scars. Some fans think I'm straight-up cute as long as I'm wearing the suit.
The Stuff Dealing with My Video Game
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: I make my own! Don't tell me you're honestly surprised when my final moments with Death are suddenly in Film Noir style. Or that I cuss out my own voice actor. Or that party that was possibly all just in my head. Dammit, High Moon!
- And then there's Taco!Cable.
- In particular there's one scene where I run off without the player, who has to follow me around the corner with just the camera.
- Critical Dissonance: Those asshole critics didn't like my game much, but it was much better received by the players out there. At least some people have good taste.
- Ending Fatigue: Look, I get that I'm awesome, and I get that you want me to kill guys all day for your amusement, and I get that Sinister totally deserves it. But really, did he have to throw ALL THOSE CLONES at me at the end? I was getting tired!
Me: Whew! That was a whole lot of omigod here come more of them.
Me Again: What, did Sinister get these guys in bulk?
- Evil Is Sexy: Vertigo and Arclight.
- Goddamn Bats: Those Gambit clones were a real pain in my ass.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: At one point in the game, my two voices are transferred to Rogue by way k-i-s-s-i-n-g. A few years later, it happened in the finale of Uncanny Avengers. The kissing, of course, since I by then didn't really have the crazies as badly anymore.
- Ho Yay: There's this little gem when my upper half falls atop one of Sinister's mooks.
Yellow Box: There's a dude inside us!
Me: Yeah, and not in the fun way.
- When the big-breasted fangirl turns out to be Cable, I have the option of squeezing his chest. He punches me right in the face for that... Okay, I admit, I kinda deserved that.
- Everybody else gets expositional cutscenes to introduce their characters. Cable gets a badass rap song about how awesome he is. I might tease him all the time and ignore his monologues, but I do think he's a pretty cool guy...just don't tell him I said that.
- It's Easy, So It Sucks: IT DOES NOT SUCK! But yeah, aside from fighting the same sets of enemies for most of the game from start to finish, the game is a bit too generous with health ammo pick-ups, even on the higher settings, with every other enemy dropping them means you easily recover health quickly even in huge crowds and can be as trigger happy as you like with any of the guns without worry about running out of ammo.
- Moral Event Horizon: Everyone else tells me that Sinister crossed this with his plot to eradicate the world, or something. But I know he really crossed it when he stole my contract!
- Most Annoying Sound: Look, Arclight, Blockbuster, I get it, the player isn't good enough to beat you. SHUT. UP.
- Nausea Fuel: Okay, I admit it. Maybe I did go a little too far with taking a dump in my own toilet. But hey, it's what you made me do. Also, cutting and trying to climb your own intestines is as painful as it is gross to look at.
- So Okay, It's Average: While everyone loves the humor of my game, the gameplay is regarded as this, since you mostly fight the same enemies for most of it and the combat is mostly just having me charge into melee, except the end of it. Also, it doesn't help that it's really short.
- That One Boss: That fight at the end of the game, Sinister throws an army of the generic enemies, about a half dozen of each of the stronger enemies, all three of the previous bosses, and then ends it by sending out waves of clones of himself at the end, meaning rather than a Final Boss, I fight a dozen Final Bosses In Mooks Clothing.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character: I very kindly let the X-Men appear in my game, but they barely lift a finger to help me! C'mooon, who doesn't want to see all the hijinx I could get up to with my best X-Pals! Just cos' I crashed their plane and almost killed everyone? Jerks.
- Uncanny Valley: Cable as a floating taco that talks. But hey, I'll give the man credit for actually giving me a reason to stop Sinister's plan. Well, aside from him stealing my contract.
- Vindicated by History: Okay, a bunch, and I mean a BUNCH of people were straight-up calling it a bad game! Can you believe that?! But, after the release of my film, (which you can read all about clicking this sexy little blue button here) people actually warmed up to it, like they should!
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Didactic?: This classy gent argued in his video that my game is a parody of Macho, Testosterone Poisoned, chauvinistic meathead protagonists in certain games (kinda like that blonde dude and guys like him), like how some dumb shooter is apparently a Deconstruction of some overblown shooter franchise.
- What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs?: HEY!! Just because the game has a point where I see Cable as a talking taco and has a segment when I'm on a carnival ride shooting at targets with a cannon that shoots beach balls in a segment that's supposed to be about released souls doesn't mean I was on drugs when I wrote it.