Well, I'm NewtypeS3
. How and why I got the name is one of those tales that takes way
too long to describe and, sadly, a story one realizes that just plain isn't worth telling once it's been told. Suffice it to say, the Newtype
comes from Mobile Suit Gundam
, a favorite franchise of mine, and the rest is simply an Old Shame
combined with an old Pen Name
I mostly lurk on the websites I go to, but I've also been known in some online Gundam communities for my strangely extensive knowledge on the subject. Go figure.
Regardless, I'm here because it's a wiki that's plain enjoyable.
As for what I enjoy in fiction...
- Numerous live-action shows, like...
- Doctor Who, as well as spinoffs The Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood. My preference of one over the other varies, really. And The Big Finish adventures of Doctor Who. Yes.
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Currently, the radio series is at the top for me, with the books, movie and TV show following in quick succession)
- How I Met Your Mother
- Mystery Science Theater 3000... some episodes more than others, though.
- Red Dwarf
- StargateSG-1 & Stargate Atlantis... and maybe Stargate Universe, if it plays it's cards right. The first and second movies also get to count, though not that movie.
- Star Trek in almost all forms... aside from Star Trek: Enterprise, actually.
- Two and a Half Men
- Untouchable (as it's obscure, I might have to make the page)
- The entire Japanese 'Tokusatsu' genre, including...
- Many random animated shows, including...
- Video games, like...
- Various manga and comics, including...
- And other bizarre things like...
And aside from minor edits here and there, my major contributions include...
- The Doctor Who Classic WMG page and the New Series variety (I made a few of 'em, including...)
- There are no limits to a Time Lord's regenerations. The Time Lords of Gallifrey have merely been putting limits on them, and without them, there are no more limitations to the Doctor's regenerations.
- Change that WMG. The Doctor now has nigh-unlimited regenerations, as he is established as being the one who killed his own people.
- The Sixth Doctor was not 'totally tasteless' as many people claim.
- The Fifth Doctor is a rampant sociopath trying to work for the forces of good.
- Melanie, known as 'Mel,' was actually a companion of the Seventh Doctor first.
- The Gurren Lagann WMG page (I got a long one...)
- The entire series of Gurren-Lagann is one long love letter to the giant robot concept in general.
- The Dragon Ball WMG page
- The reason Gohan can go Super Saiyan in GT is because he passed the 'Mystic' powerup down to Pan.
- Future Bulma didn't actually build a time machine - she built a machine made to travel through to alternate realities!
- Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
- The Doctor Who characters page
- Not the page itself, but I added Davros, Omega, the Valyard, K9, Kamelion, Harry Sullivan, the Ice Warriors, Silurians/Sea Devils and the Sontarans entirely. Not to mention almost all of the non-companion & reoccurring characters.
- Also, on the subsequent expanded universe page, I added the concept of "alternate Doctors" to the page, as well as pretty much all of the examples.
- Fridge Brilliance
- This entry under TV...
is just full of Fridge Brilliance
in many of their stories. A great example would be the Classic Who serial Ghost Light.
Watching it for the first time, I could see that there was a lot going on that almost made sense and almost clicked... until I watched it a second time. Then it finally clicked. Really, the entire serial is a commentary upon evolution in general, as well as a massive tribute to the era that brought up the theory - the Victorian Era. And if this wasn't enough, the entire story is disguised as a freaking alien invasion told with the tropes of a Victorian-era horror story... and finally, we have a story that also has the companion Ace dealing with her past and moving on with her life, as the entire theme of the story is also about change in general
! It's just such a shame that this serial almost doesn't make sense without multiple viewings or seeing the documentary and commentary attached to the DVD release...
Finally, the Tropes I enjoy reading: