Tell her something she doesn't know.
Who says you're not perfect?Selena
(born July 22, 1992) is a Teen Idol
best known for playing Alex Russo on the Disney Channel Kid Com Wizards of Waverly Place
. She has also starred in Another Cinderella Story
, Princess Protection Program
, Ramona and Beezus
, and Monte Carlo
. In 2012, she starred in the teen thriller Spring Breakers
, along with Vanessa Hudgens
, Ashley Benson
, and James Franco, as well as the animated comedy Hotel Transylvania
and the earthquake thriller Aftershock
. In 2013, she co-starred in an action-thriller called Getaway
with Ethan Hawke and will soon work on film adaptations of the young-adult novels Thirteen Reasons Why
and Ric Browde's While I'm Dead ... Feed the Dog
She's a singer (2008-present), actor (2002-present) and businesswoman (2008-present). She is also the world's youngest UNICEF Goodwill ambassador, a position she has held since 2007. She has gone on missions to Ghana (2008) and Chile (2009), and is the sponsor for the "Trick-Or-Treat for UNICEF" campaign.
She is of Italian, Mexican-American and Black Country (Birmingham, i.e English), descent.
Like Miley Cyrus
, Disney has built an entire franchise
around Selena. She has even branched out into music
by starting her own band, Selena Gomez & The Scene. Their first album, Kiss & Tell
, has been certified gold. The follow-up album, A Year Without Rain
was released on September 21, 2010. When The Sun Goes Down
was released on June 28, 2011. "Stars Dance" came out 2013.
She also has a Twitter
- Kiss & Tell (2009)
- A Year Without Rain (2010)
- When The Sun Goes Down (2011)
- Stars Dance (2013) (credited as "Selena Gomez")
- For You (2014)
Selena Gomez exhibits these tropes:
- Album Title Drop: Her third album was originally meant to fit this trope. Up until just a few weeks before it was released, it was scheduled to be titled "The Otherside", after a line in the Britney Spears written song, "Whiplash".
- Anti-Hero: This status is famous in her roles.
- Award Bait Song: Live Like There's No Tomorrow
- Badass Adorable: As Alex Russo.
- Break the Cutie: Her relationship issues with Justin Bieber, which culminated in a song she wrote called "What the Heart Wants", released in 2014.
- Breakup Song: "I Don't Miss You At All", "The Way I Loved You", "Ghost of You", "Sick of You", "Bang Bang Bang", "Forget Forever", "Love Will Remember" and "Middle of Nowhere".
- The Casanova: The song Outlaw is about men like this.
- The Cameo: In The Muppets.
- The Cast Showoff: Since she can act, sing and has business savvy, expect her to show these talents even when it wouldn't be conventionally required.
- Changed For The Video: "A Year Without Rain" was snipped in the video.
- Celeb Crush: Selena has said that she has a crush on Shia LaBeouf and Logan Lerman.
- She also admitted to having a crush on Justin Bieber before they started dating.
- The Cutie: She's good natured and adorable.
- Cover Version: "As A Blonde", an unreleased song written by Fefe Dobson.
- Dark and Snarky: Every character she has played shows shades of this.
- Darker and Edgier: Stars Dance and the two new songs from For You.
- Deadpan Snarker: Almost every character she plays is this. And she seems to have quite much of this in Real Life, too.
- Does Not Like Shoes: She sometimes performs at concerts barefoot. No one seems to mind.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: In her song Rock God, she's in a club, and a preacher asks her why she can't walk straight and live her life right. She tells him it's because of the rock music taking over her soul.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Kiss & Tell is typical girly pop rock like Ashlee Simpson and Hilary Duff 's earlier material. Due to "Naturally"'s success, she took a slightly more electronic and pop focused approach to her following albums.
- Egocentric Team Naming: Selena Gomez and The Scene.
- Fake Brit: In Monte Carlo, both in real life and in universe and also, bizarrely, in the song "Whiplash" off of her 3rd album. However, her ancestry is from The Black Country in the Midlands, so not quite a Fake Brit. Her accent hides this though.
- Follow Your Heart: "Intuition", "Tell Me Something I Don't Know", "Spotlight", "Hit The Lights" and "Who Says".
- Genre Roulette: "When The Sun Goes Down" plays with a lot of styles.
- Kiss + Tell is also diverse, going from the Power Pop of "Falling Down'' to the techno-dance of "Naturally" to the pop-punk of "I Don't Miss You At All" to something of a New Wave Music sound on "I Got U".
- Heavy Meta: "Love You Like A Love Song" is a catchy pop song describing a love interest as being stuck in her head like a catchy pop song.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Demi Lovato and Taylor Swift.
- Which produced a friendship-level Betty and Veronica dynamic. Taylor is more of a Betty and Demi is more of Veronica.
- Hidden Depths: Is very much like a female version of Jeremy Clarkson (at least as far as her interest in and knowledge of automobiles goes, not personality-wise). We have yet to see her take any of Jeremy's Refuge in Audacity or Refuge in Vulgarity, though.
- Honor Before Reason: After damaging her vocal cords, she begged her doctor to give her more medicine to last through the scheduled shows despite the risk of permanent damage. The doctor ultimately made "reason" prevail and two shows were canceled, but she still snuck to a radio interview against the doctor's advice.
- I Am the Band: Few people can name a member of "The Scene", and the band's songs are frequently attributed simply to "Selena Gomez".
- Averted as of 2013 - she's officially dropped "The Scene" and is now officially performing as just "Selena Gomez". Reason being unknown.
- In Da Club: "Save The Day", "Stars Dance", "BEAT", "When The Sun Goes Down"
- Intercourse with You: "Come & Get It", "Undercover" and "Slow Down".
- Lampshade Hanging: "Love You Like a Love Song".
- Love Hurts: "The Heart Wants What It Wants".
- Medley: Performed a Britney Spears medley on her 2011 tour.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Her most famous character is the Manipulative Bastard Alex Russo. In real life, she's far more amicable.
- Mind Screw: The video for her song "Love You Like A Love Song". Its not up to Lady Ga Ga music video level, but if her videos get more mindscrewy, she'll be up there.
- Fridge Brilliance When you take into consideration that karaoke backgrounds are usually random.
- Mood Whiplash: The uptempo, in-love techno-dance song "Naturally" is directly followed on Kiss+Tell by one of her biggest tear jerkers, the breakup piano ballad, "The Way I Loved You".
- Named After Somebody Famous: Tejano singer Selena Quintanilla-Perez (1971-1995).
- Nice Shoes: She has a fondness for Converse All-Star sneakers, and wears them almost all the time.
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent: As Alex on Wizards of Waverly Place. Averted in Monte Carlo.
- New Sound Album: After the success of Naturally she decided to make A Year Without Rain pure dance pop!
- Older Than She Looks: She's 22 but still looks like a teenager, which can lead to some... odd vibes. Many gossip blogs have commented on the difficulty of finding her attractive without feeling like a pedophile.
- In Another Cinderella Story, her love interest was played by a 25-year-old actor while she was only 15, and since she was older than she looked even then... see for yourself.◊
- Overshadowed by Awesome:
- Justin, being a good (then) boyfriend, often hung out backstage at her concerts to support her. This trope kicked in where sometimes more fans waited to mob his car leaving or anywhere he was supposed to have been than attend her concert.
- One time he showed up to wear the T-shirt with her on it, give support from backstage, and quietly leave. Some people were "disappointed" that all they saw of him was when his SUV got mobbed when he tried to leave inconspicously.
- Vice Versa to those who are very fond of Selena and don't think about or particularly care about Justin despite their relationship.
- Perky Dieselpunker: She very fond of 1940's fashion and many of her videoclips have a retro feel to them.
- From 2014, she'll be appearing in Casualty on BBC according to a Holby City fansite.
- The Rival: Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez fans antagonize each other a lot. Mocking each other for either having too sweet, or too innocent an image, or "copying" one another, mostly a made up Fandom Rivalry.
- The girls are friends though and supported each other immensely since they became friends through Disney.
- Lampshaded by having Selena cast as the rival of Hannah Montana.
- Although nowadays, people are comparing her to Sam Bailey and Katy Perry.
- Rearrange the Song: "A Year Without Rain" and "Tell Me Something I Don't Know" both were re arranged for video and for album release. Tell Me Something was updated, A Year Without Rain got a snip for the video.
- Show Within a Show: Well, a video inside a video in her music video "Love you Like a Love Song". Granted, it's justified as she's singing it at a Karaoke Bar.
- Silly Love Songs: "I Promise You", "Naturally", "A Year Without Rain", "Off The Chain", "Summer's Not Hot", "Love You Like a Love Song" "We Own the Night", Most of "Stars Dance" and "Whiplash".
- Spammer: There's a new type of spammer going round using her name to, promote, amongst other things, payday loan companies. Made even more of a "Funny Aneurysm" Moment by the fact wonga.com had her as banner adverts!
- Stalker with a Crush: "I Got U" is arguably about this from the view of the Stalker.
- Subdued Section: " I Won't Apologize".
- Spiritual Successor: To Hilary Duff, playing her counterpart in a movie, following her path musically and having a similar approach to managing the press and her private life.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: "I Don't Miss You At All".
- Take That:
- "Falling Down" is said to be one to Hollywood in general.
- She called her band "The Scene" as an ironic Take That against those who criticized her love of indie bands and boho chic fashion as taking part in a "wannabe scene".
- "Kiss & Tell" and "Tell Me Something I Don't Know" are about Hollywood culture too and/or her haters.
- "Stop & Erase" is one to bullies.
- Tsundere: "Round And Round" seems to be about a male variant of this trope.
- Title Track: Each of her three albums has one of these.
- Tomboy: Oh, yeah, she's definitely one of these.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Fried pickles, often served with french fries. She claimed she acquired a taste for it as movie theaters in Texas serve it.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: "I Got U" as one example.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: The overall message of "Who Says".
- Your Cheating Heart: "I Won't Apologize".
- Reputedly broke off her relationship with Justin Bieber when she saw a picture of him on Twitter looking like he was flirting with a model backstage while he was scheduled to perform at a Victoria's Secret TV pageant. She posted the photo on Twitter and wrote "..." next to it.
- Got back together with him just a few months later.
- We can assume they broke up after that, considering what the subject matter of "The Heart Wants What It Wants', especially considering rumors that she could be with Zedd.
Who says you're not worth it