Deborah Ann "Debby" Ryan (born May 13, 1993) is an American actress and singer
, best known for starring as Bailey Pickett in the Disney Channel
original series The Suite Life on Deck
. The series established Ryan as a Teen Idol
and became the most-watched children's show on television since its premiere in October 2008.
In 2010, she starred in the film 16 Wishes
, which was the most-watched cable program on the day of its premiere on the Disney Channel and one of the most-watched movies on television. In addition, 16 Wishes
introduced Ryan to new audiences, such as contemporary adult audiences, since the movie received high viewership in the young adult demographic (18-34).
She now has her own show on Disney Channel called Jessie
, which follows a girl who moves from Texas to New York to become a nanny for a family of four (she also became the youngest female director of a Disney Channel production on said series). In February 2012, she starred in a movie called Radio Rebel
. She also performed in the 2013 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
. In early 2014 she formed a band called The Never Ending. Their debut EP, One
, was released on June 24, 2014.
Compare to Jennette McCurdy
, who happens to be one of Ryan's closest friends in Real Life
. All subjective tropes go in the YMMV tab
This actress shows examples of:
- The Cast Showoff: She likes to sing in almost everything she's done.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Have you been to her Twitter page?
- Country Mouse: Her two most famous roles are a farm girl from Kansas and a girl from rural Texas. Also, she's originally from Alabama (and grew up in Texas, too). Not played entirely straight, though.
- Cover Version: Of "We Got the Beat" by The Go-Go's for Radio Rebel.
- Darker and Edgier: Her cover of "Superstition" - up to that point all of her songs have been bubbly pop songs, and even The Cover Changes The Meaning rendition of "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" was still a Softer And Slower Cover version of a pop song.
- Arguably Jessie. Both the character and the show itself are a little more "grown up" compared to ''Suite Life On Deck" and Disney Channel fare in general.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: "Hey, Jessie" for Jessie.
- Fanservice: As shown above, She Cleans Up Nicely (and isn't bad in casual wear, either).
- Hidden Depths: Her roles outside the Disney Channel.
- Idol Singer: So far, she sang "Hakuna Matata" for Disney Mania 7, "A Wish Comes True Every Day" and "Open Eyes" for 16 Wishes, and the theme song for her show Jessie.
- Potentially averted since she says she typically refuses record-signing deals because she wants to remain independent as a vocal artist.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Rowan Blanchard, from the looks of Debby's Twitter feed.
- Large Ham: She tends to be very hammy in her comedic roles.
- Military Brat: She alludes to this in Jessie.
- Mistaken Identity: An entertainment news show once mistook her for Demi Lovato.
- Shrinking Violet: Her character in Radio Rebel (incidentally, the trope name is also the name of the source material novel).
- Apparently, despite having been in television roles since before being a teenager, Debby's still this in Real Life, too.
- Softer And Slower Cover: "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"
- Spiritual Successor: To Anne Hathaway, to some extent.