Creator: Debby Ryan
Deborah Ann "Debby" Ryan (born May 13, 1993) is an American actress and singer, best known for starring as Bailey Pickett in the Disney Channel original series The Suite Life on Deck. The series established Ryan as a Teen Idol and became the most-watched children's show on television since its premiere in October 2008.In 2010, she starred in the film 16 Wishes, which was the most-watched cable program on the day of its premiere on the Disney Channel and one of the most-watched movies on television. In addition, 16 Wishes introduced Ryan to new audiences, such as contemporary adult audiences, since the movie received high viewership in the young adult demographic (18-34).She now has her own show on Disney Channel called Jessie, which follows a girl who moves from Texas to New York to become a nanny for a family of four (she also became the youngest female director of a Disney Channel production on said series). In February 2012, she starred in a movie called Radio Rebel. She also performed in the 2013 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. In early 2014 she formed a band called The Never Ending. Their debut EP, One, was released on June 24, 2014.Compare to Jennette McCurdy, who happens to be one of Ryan's closest friends in Real Life. All subjective tropes go in the YMMV tab.
This actress shows examples of:
- The Cast Showoff: She likes to sing in almost everything she's done.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Have you been to her Twitter page?
- Country Mouse: Her two most famous roles are a farm girl from Kansas and a girl from rural Texas. Also, she's originally from Alabama (and grew up in Texas, too). Not played entirely straight, though.
- Cover Version: Of "We Got the Beat" by The Go-Go's for Radio Rebel.
- Darker and Edgier: Her cover of "Superstition" - up to that point all of her songs have been bubbly pop songs, and even The Cover Changes The Meaning rendition of "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" was still a Softer And Slower Cover version of a pop song.
- Arguably Jessie. Both the character and the show itself are a little more "grown up" compared to ''Suite Life On Deck" and Disney Channel fare in general.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: "Hey, Jessie" for Jessie.
- Fanservice: As shown above, She Cleans Up Nicely (and isn't bad in casual wear, either).
- Hidden Depths: Her roles outside the Disney Channel.
- Idol Singer: So far, she sang "Hakuna Matata" for Disney Mania 7, "A Wish Comes True Every Day" and "Open Eyes" for 16 Wishes, and the theme song for her show Jessie.
- Potentially averted since she says she typically refuses record-signing deals because she wants to remain independent as a vocal artist.
- She is, as of 2015, the lead singer for alternative folk-rock band The Never Ending, but has still preferred to distribute their music independently/electronically.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Rowan Blanchard, from the looks of Debby's Twitter feed.
- Large Ham: She tends to be very hammy in her comedic roles.
- Military Brat: She alludes to this in Jessie.
- Mistaken Identity: An entertainment news show once mistook her for Demi Lovato.
- Shrinking Violet: Her character in Radio Rebel (incidentally, the trope name is also the name of the source material novel).
- Apparently, despite having been in television roles since before being a teenager, Debby's still this in Real Life, too.
- Softer And Slower Cover: "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"
- Spiritual Successor: To Anne Hathaway, to some extent.
- To Demi Lovato in a non-singing capacity.