How do you think I feel when you call my name?
Cheryl Cole (nee Tweedy) (b. 30 June 1983) is an English pop
performer and breakout member of Girls Aloud
. Noted for being a "style icon" as well as a popstar, she's appeared in many fashion and gossip magazines due to her attractiveness and her enduring popularity. From 2006 to 2010 she was married to the footballer Ashley Cole, but since their divorce Cheryl has declined to revert to her former name. She sometimes uses just "Cheryl"
instead these days, though it's been suggested this is only because her new logotype looked better that way on the album cover.
Since Girls Aloud went on hiatus in 2009, Cheryl has gone on to release three commercially successful albums, usually produced in part by will.i.am
. Some of her solo hits include "Fight For This Love", "Parachute", "Promise This" and the Calvin Harris
-produced "Call My Name".
She's also known for being a former judge of The X Factor
UK (2008-2010) and mentoring the now-famous Cher Lloyd
- 3 Words (2009)
- Messy Little Raindrops (2010)
- A Million Lights (2012)
- Auto-Tune: Her second and third studio albums were released at the height of the auto-tune craze and feature vocal processing quite prominently.
- Berserk Button: Gets very upset from hearing music played from a laptop, due to the sound compression.
- Breakup Breakout: From Girls Aloud, something the group's other members are yet to really achieve.
- Embarrassing Tattoo: She's admitted that some of the tattoos she had as a teenager are rather embarrassing. She's since had the ones on her back covered up with a gigantic rose.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Katy Perry started fawning over her when the former was a guest judge on The X Factor. Cheryl has admitted to fawning over Beyoncé and Rihanna.
- Fan Nickname: "Chezza" is often used in the media as well as among her fanbase.
- The Fashionista: A famous real-life example. Has also been criticised for having questionable taste in fashion sometimes.
- Gratuitous French: The entire hook in "Promise This".
- Hidden Depths: Is (allegedly) a member of this site, according to an Urban Legend from a British football forum.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: Her single "Call My Name" was circulated on torrent sites 4 weeks before it was commercially available - and the video was too.
- Motor Mouth: Self-described as "gobby" or "The one who just didn't ever shut up! I just talked all day!"
- Ms. Fanservice: Although she's known to have been this for the decade she's been on the scene, her stripperiffic outfit choices in the video for her song "Ghetto Baby" got her into huge trouble with her father.
- New Sound Album: Averted. She's stuck to the same sound for all her studio albums — dance-pop with a hint of world music, adult contemporary and R&B. Although some rumors suggest she may be going the way of Beverly Knight [well, musically, anyhow].
- Non-Appearing Title: Messy Little Raindrops is not a song on the album, but rather, part of a lyric from the track "Raindrops".
- Oop North
- A Wild Rapper Appears: Her songs have featured the likes of Wretch 32, will.i.am, Travie McCoy and Dizzee Rascal.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Well, she does have nice legs, so it makes sense.