Kid Cudi (born Scott Mescudi in Cleveland, Ohio) is a rapper best described as emblematic of hip-hop's newest trend—the laid-back rapper who cares more about marijuana and women than street cred. He sprang onto the scene with the A Kid Named Cudi mixtape in 2008 and was signed to Kanye West's G.O.O.D. Music in the same year. A year later he released his debut album, Man on the Moon: The End of Day to widespread acclaim, with praise coming for the ethereal beats, Cudi's vocals and for putting his personal tastes for indie rock and similar genres to use. This was followed by Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager in 2010.Notable songs include "Day 'n Nite", "Make Her Say", "Pursuit Of Happiness", and "Erase Me".Cudi is also a member of the Dream Pop duo WZRD, who released their debut-self titled album in February 2012.Recently made his film debut in Need for Speed, the film based on the video game series.
- Man on the Moon: The End of Day (2009)
- Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager (2010)
- Indicud (2013)
- Satellite Flight: The Journey to Mother Moon (2014)
- Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven (2015)
Tropes related to Kid Cudi include:
- Alternative Hip Hop
- The Cameo: Drake cameos in the music video for "Pursuit of Happiness".
- Concept Album: Both Man on the Moon albums.
- Deconstruction: The second "Man on the Moon" album deconstructs the character described in the first, as well as continuing the story.
- Genre Shift: "Up Up and Away" from Man on the Moon: The End of Day has sort of an indie rock style, after a whole album of rap. On the same album, there's "Pursuit of Happiness", which has influences from late 80's Dream Pop and features indie artists MGMT and Ratatat.
- New Sound Album: Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven: complete departure from his hip-hop sound in favor of 90s-style alt-rock, indie rock, and grunge...to SEVERELY mixed results.
- A Noun Referred To As X: The mix tape A Kid Named Cudi
- Pun: the hook of "Make Her Say", based on a sample of the acoustic version of Lady Gaga's "Poker Face", makes the obvious joke:"I make her say/oh oh oh oh/when I/p-p-p-poke her face, p-p-p-poke her face"
- Record Producer:
- Emile and Plain Pat produced a large percent of "A Kid Named Cudi" and both Man on The Moon albums (despite a falling out, he says he'd open to working with them when he makes the third.
- Dot Da Genius is another producer he's worked with since the beginning of his career. He is also the second half of WZRD and co-produced that album.
- As of the WZRD album Cudi's been producing himself, in addition to co-producing that album with Dot Da Genius he produced the entirety of his next solo album "Indicud".
- The Stoner: The man has a song called "Marijuana"! He even lets the track run for a few extra seconds at the end so its length can reach 4:20.
- Kid Cudi has actually stopped using marijuana between Man On The Moon II and WZRD, this hasn't prevented him from recording and performing songs about get stoned.