I don't like small cars or real big women
But somehow I always find myself in 'emRobert James Ritchie, a.k.a. Kid Rock (born Januray 17, 1971) is an American rapper and singer from Michigan who incorporated Hard Rock and Country into his music. At the age of 11, he was break-dancing in a breakdance crew, and used the money made to get turntable equipment. He then played as a DJ who'd play in clubs for beer. He got his nickname after clubgoers called him "that white kid that can rock".He formed the rap group The Beast Crew with local rapper Champtown, but it broke up when Kid Rock signed to Jive Records. He released his LP Grit Sandwiches for Breakfast soon afterwards in 1990, but it was perceived as being a Beastie Boys ripoff, and was dropped from the record label for the album's weak reception. However, the album was popular enough for Kid Rock to be considered the biggest rapper in Detroit at the time; Insane Clown Posse even tapped him for an appearance on their debut, Carnival of Carnage, despite the fact that Violent J thought that Kid Rock's rapping was weak, although a lyric in Kid's "Ya Keep On" suggests that the feeling is mutual.Kid's next two albums, The Polyfuze Method and Early Mornin' Stoned Pimp, were released independently. To help with the recording, Kid Rock recruited a band of musicians known as the "Twisted Brown Trucker Band", providing the instrumental backing for his rhymes.After years of independent records, he and his band got signed to Atlantic Records, where they released the break-through hit album Devil Without a Cause in 1998. This successful fusion of Southern-Fried Rap Rock inspired Kid Rock to re-work his previous songs in History of Rock. But his love for Southern Rock caused him to change his sound on his Self-Titled Album, which he continues to do today. His #1 single "All Summer Long" borrowed from both the Lynyrd Skynyrd hit "Sweet Home Alabama" and Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London", and had extensive radio play across the Rock and Country charts.Kid has had occasional acting roles, including Joe Dirt, Osmosis Jones and Larry The Cable Guy: Health Inspector.He is close friends and frequent collaborator with Uncle Kracker, who is also a country, rap, and rock-influenced musician from Detroit.Albums
"Welcome 2 the Party, Ode 2 the Ol' School"
- Grit Sandwiches for Breakfast (1990)
- The Polyfuze Method (1993)
- Early Mornin' Stoned Pimp (1996)
- Devil Without a Cause (1998)
- Cocky (2001)
- Kid Rock (2003)
- Rock N Roll Jesus (2007)
- Born Free (2010)
- Rebel Soul (2012)
"Devil Without a Trope":
- The Alcoholic: RL example: He showed up drunk to record his guest appearance on Insane Clown Posse's Carnival of Carnage, "Is That You?" He then rerecorded his vocals and scratching the next day when he was sober.
- Artifact Title: "Kid" Rock has been an adult for a very long time now. More so now that he's a grandfather.
- As the Good Book Says: In "Lonely Road of Faith", during the bridge, Kid Rock says a verse that is similar to Psalm 23:4: "Though I walk in the valley of darkness / I am not afraid / 'Cause I know I'm not alone."
- Auto-Tune: Very blatantly on "Only God Knows Why".
- Audience Participation Song: All of Joe C's lines, since his death.
- Badass Boast: "I'm goin' platinum sellin' rhymes/I went platinum seven times...", from "American Bad Ass," and referring to the sales of his previous breakthrough album, Devil Without a Cause. He was referring to the previous album's sales at the time, but it would eventually sell past the 10 million mark.
- After Al-Qaeda bombed the USS Cole in Aden, the sailors played "American Badass" over the ship's loudspeakers as they left the port.
- Bowdlerise: Lampshaded on "Cowboy":"Curse like a sailor/Drink like a mick/My only words of wisdom are/<RADIO EDIT>"
- Also on the video of "American Badass""I'm an American Badass, watch me kick! You can roll with rock or you can <RADIO EDIT>"
- "Picture" had different edits to censor the line "Fueling up on cocaine and whiskey". One version changed "cocaine" to "water", and another just muted the word entirely.
- Also on the video of "American Badass"
- Country Rap: At times.
- Cowboy: He wants to be one, after all.
- Determinator: He strongly disliked iTunes and fought to keep his music off of it, despite it costing him a hit with "All Summer Long" (and making hits out of karaoke versions of the song). But times change.
- Fake Shemp: Due to label issues, the official single version of "Picture" has Allison Moorer singing Sheryl Crow's part. However, most stations played the Sheryl Crow version anyway, and it was even listed as "Kid Rock with Sheryl Crow or Allison Moorer" on the charts. He also recorded the song with Gretchen Wilson on the Live Trucker album.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: His Devil Without a Cause fused Hip-Hop, Heavy Metal, Funk, Blues, Southern Rock, Soul, Country and Folk music.
- New Sound Album: Happened twice; once with Devil Without A Cause which saw a change from hardcore rhyming over sampled riffs, to a southern fried Rap Rock sound. The second time was Kid Rock, which saw him making Southern Rock and almost completely ditching Hip-Hop. And yet again with Born Free, which — outside of an appearance by T.I. — is entirely Heartland rock.
- Ode To Youth: "All Summer Long"
- Rock Star Song: So, so many of them.
- Sampling: Most blatantly for "All Summer Long", sampling "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Werewolves of London", which are in the same key to begin with.
- Self-Titled Album: Kid Rock.
- Take That: From "Ya' Keep On": "Don't call me Joe 'cause the Joes I know can't even flow"
- The song "Half Your Age" from Rock And Roll Jesus paints a very unflattering picture of Kid Rock's ex-wife Pamela Anderson.
- The Trope Kid
- We Used to Be Friends: Kid and The Beast Crew, as said in "I Wanna Go Back"I ain't sayin' that I'm wrong, but I still got love for you/Cause I remember how it used to be, "Make way, motherfuckers, Beast Crew's in the party"
- Wolverine Publicity: In Southeast Michigan, at least. His music has constant airplay on the local rock and country stations there (especially the area's flagship rock station, 101 WRIF), and he is frequently featured in the local media.
- Word Puree Title: "Bawitdaba."