An Accusation Fic is a Fix Fic
or Revenge Fic
with a Fandom Specific Plot
. It is generally written directly because of canon
Perhaps the actions of the lead characters demonstrated Moral Dissonance
. Perhaps there was a moment in which the canon author sided with the hero but the Fan Fic
writer didn't. Perhaps it's Values Dissonance
between the author of the canon and the fanfic writers.
It doesn't matter where the original wrong lies — whether it's a misguided author or a Misaimed Fandom
. The result will be a plot in which the canon events will be deconstructed
, or the results of the events turns dark. A careless author will use Diabolus Ex Machina
for this; a clever one, using suitably flawed material, will make the consequences seem natural, or plausible if we've hit an Alternate Universe Fic
, which it often will if the canon is long-running and the fic is about an event set midway through the run.
There will be negative consequences for the characters who did the perceived wrong. There may or may not be negative consequences for innocent characters, depending on how cruel the author is feeling.
Naturally, this sort of fic will tend to be a Dark Fic
If the canon events in question are required by the Anthropic Principle
, then the fic is a Hate Fic
; but not all Accusation Fics are Hate Fics
Examples of Accusation Fics from the following media:
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Pokémon anime: A lot of Cori Falls's later fics are basically Cori using other characters to call Ash out for everything from his apparent "abuse" of the Team Rocket trio to any minor offenses he may have committed towards his friends or other people.
- Several Love Hina fanfics focus on punishing the cast for their self-centered attitudes and over-the-top abuse of Keitaro.
- An Alternate Keitaro Urashima has Granny Hina taken to task for enabling the girls' issues instead of helping them work through them, and for abandoning them so she can enjoy her world tour. The girls also have to face realistic consequences for their normal antics, such as Naru risking expulsion when she attacks Keitaro at their cram school, or Mokoto getting arrested for threatening him with her sword.
- For His Own Sake includes Keitaro and Mutsumi along the cast members getting called out. Having spent three years trying to manage the Inn before giving up at the start of the fic, Keitaro is taken to task for being such an Extreme Doormat and enabling the girls' bad behavior, while Mutsumi keeps shipping Naru/Keitaro against their will.
- There are a lot of fanfics out there that take place during Marvel's Civil War that take Tony Stark to task for being such a collossal douche nozzle.
Films — Live-Action
- TRON and TRON: Legacy fanfics have a fifty-fifty chance of going here in regards to some of Kevin Flynn's actions, mostly about lying to his friends or blowing off the Programs' concerns and needs because of his infatuation with the Isos.
- Pick any Mass Effect fanfic that deals with the aftermath of Horizon, particularly if Shepard romanced either Ashley or Kaidan. Chances are, 4 times out of 5, it will be a thinly-veiled accusation fic against the first game love interest (though it is worth noting that Kaidan gets the brunt of this more than Ashley does).
- Redress has its version of PMD Explorers's hero call out Chatot in Brine Cave for his mishandling of the Perfect Apples incident.
- Super Robot Wars Z2: Saisei-Hen did this with Ougi's decision. Schneizel reveals to the Black Knights and ZEXIS the true identity of Zero a.k.a Lelouch vi Britannia and tells them about the properties of Lelouch's geass. It gets worse when an angry Ougi appears after hearing everything about Zero from Villeta.
While the majority gets manipulated into believing what Schneizel says, only a handful of people (Sumeragi, Roger, Heero, Chirico) are able to see through Schneizel's plan and deceit. When Zero arrives, the Black Knights are prepared to pounce on him like in the anime but some members of ZEXIS(Sumeragi, Roger, Heero, Chirico, Crowe, Simon, Viral) tell the Black Knights to wait and give Zero a chance to explain his actions.
If the player has managed to obtain enough Zero points, Ougi will have the option to believe or not to believe in Zero. With Ougi deciding to give Zero a chance to explain his actions and the betrayal of the Black Knights being averted, an embarrassed Schneizel has no choice but to leave peacefully. Zero then removes his mask and starts explaining his actions to everyone.
- Fire Emblem:
- A Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones fic, In Questioning Ghosts, has Eirika unable to explain Lyon to the people without calling him on every mistake he made and in the end being unable to ever forgive him.
- Another fic for Fire Emblem Awakening deconstructs Chrom's ending, in which a male Robin expresses his anger towards Chrom for not letting him deal the final blow to Grima, citing that it was not Chrom's decision to make and that he was selfish for doing it. He ends up sneaking off by himself to end his life as well as Grima's, and Chrom is left to suffer the damages and consequences of his choice.
- In Lilo & Stitch: The Series, the eponymous girl and her illegal genetically engineered alien are tasked with capturing the other 625 experiments and repurposing them before the bad guys get to them. However, some would naturally be caught in order to avert a Boring Invincible Hero. Some fans cried foul about how Lilo appeared to seem to just let some of the captured experiments go. Experiment 166: Fury (which may in fact be the first Accusation Fic, depending on how old the genre actually is) invents a specially-made fan experiment that calls Lilo out on this, and at the end she and the others go and rescue the until-then captured experiments.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender
- The magnum opus Stormbenders was written by an author who believed Aang wasn't a true hero, that he was selfish and refused to grow up and change and thus painted him as an unsympathetic child. In her view it was Zuko who was the Real Hero (and more importantly, deserved Katara's love more).
- On a lesser scale, An Aging Ideology has Sokka calling Aang out for his refusal to kill Ozai in the finale.
- The Stalking Zuko Series also has Katara calling Aang out on not killing Ozai, and the implication that he is hypocritical for not killing Ozai, but sinking Fire Nation ships while fused with the Ocean Spirit.
- Vathara's one-shot, Theft Absolute, points out how stupid it was for Zuko to steal that ostrich-horse in "The Cave of Two Lovers". ("What will bring news to [Azula's] ears more swiftly, nephew? Two refugees who leave in the night... or an ostrich-horse thief?") This one-shot would then go on to form the basis of Embers.
- From the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fandom:
- Multiple fanfics set after the Canterlot Wedding finale call out almost everyone in the fore for the stuff they did. Twilight for accusing the false Cadance with a lack of information to back her claims, her friends for ditching her in her time of need, Shining Armor for disowning his sister (though whether he did that himself or was mind controlled into doing so is up to the writer), and Celestia for choosing her niece's comfort over the safety of her people. Most, if not all, Accusation Fics focus on calling out Twilight's friends for ditching Twilight, but there are some that accuse Celestia and Shining Armor for failing to protect Canterlot from the threat they had received. In fact, in one fanfic, it becomes fuel for an Anti-Celestia rebellion. A Canterlot Wedding Aftermath is another one that Twilight is traumatized with nightmares.
- Setting these in the aftermath of "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well" is also common. What's Eating Rainbow Dash?, for instance, lays the blame primarily at Twilight's hooves, painting her as unaware that publically humiliating Dash would have long-term consequences, to the point that Dash nearly leaves Ponyville.
- A lot of Meg-centric fic for Family Guy involves this trope, with the Griffins and other antagonists of her being ripped a new one for their behavior. On the non-Meg front, we have Payback from a Pipe, in which Stewie calls Quagmire out on his hypocrisy regarding his own accusations towards Brian.
- The Teen Titans episode "The Beast Within" featured Beast Boy becoming more aggressive after being doused in chemicals, eventually culminating into him turning into a mindless beast, and being found with an injured Raven's cloak clutched between his teeth. It looks like he hurt her, but Beast Boy just can't remember what happened. Robin tells him that if he can't remember, then he has to assume the worst and he'll have to take him to jail. While it was a bad situation, a lot of fans don't feel that Robin handled it well, and it ends up causing Beast Boy to undergo another stress-induced transformation. While not super-common, there are some fics where Beast Boy or another Titan will call Robin out on how he acted.
- The End of Ends calls out the Titans, The Doom Patrol, and Terra for all the "wrongdoings" they’ve done to Beast Boy. The author; Dakari-King Mykan even has a name for this kind of fic: "Punishment Fics".
- The Winx Club fic Promises of Protection has Timmy snap and shriek blame at Bloom for all the hardships Tecna ever had to face, up to and including her being frozen by the Trix and having her wings torn out. It's only a small portion of the story, thankfully, the rest of it is about Tecna and Timmy vacationing in a peaceful realm.