“From the desk of Dakari King Mykan, comes a tale of sadness, anger, and a vengeance most foul.”
What do you get when you take the plot of a well-known spinoff game
and change the setting and characters
to reflect the author’s interests? Something close to the lines of this story.Beast Boy
, saddened by the events of the episode Things Change, finds his life tumbling down and in a fit of depression, runs away from Titan Tower and quits the Titans. Shortly after this, a black hole opens up in space and starts to suck in Earth, as well as other galaxies. As this is happening, Jump City is attacked by three villains, all of whom serve a higher power: Count Logan.
After a brush with the three minions, the Titans are shocked to learn from the Doom Patrol that Beast Boy was killed. Thus begins a struggle between the Titans and Count Logan, who plans on destroying the entire galaxy with the help of an ancient artifact forged by Trigon known as the Dark Prognosticus.The End of Ends
is a fanfic written by Dakari King Mykan, known infamously for his My Little Unicorn
fanfic. It’s both made in Web Animation
format as well as a Fan Fiction
adaptation where the story is more of a story-within-a-story presented to an Alternate Universe
Terra and Beast Boy by a mysterious man. The first part of the Web Animation can be watched here
, while the fanfic (called "Things Change & The End?" there) can be read here
The End of Ends has the following tropes:
- Accusation Fic: The story calls out the Titans, Patrol, and Terra for all the "wrongdoings" they’ve done to Beast Boy. Mykan even has a name for this kind of fic: "Punishment Fics".
- Revenge Fic: Word of God specially mentioned that the story was essentially a revenge story straight from his own desk and even justifying the destruction of Tamaran by saying it’s revenge for Starfire and Robin’s relationship.
- Amplifier Artifact: The Light Prognosticus.
- An Aesop: You can never truly change who you are, and even if you do change, you are who you are and that can’t change.
- Arc Words: “Things change, Beast Boy. The girl you want me to be is just a memory.”
- Artifact of Doom: The Dark Prognosticus.
- Bad Dreams: Count Logan has one of these in the from of the clip from Things Change, where Terra tells his younger version, Beast Boy, that the girl she wants him to be is just a memory.
- Bad Guys Do the Dirty Work: Dr. Beljar makes it really easy for the Titans to not kill Beast Boy, since he takes over control of the Dark Prognosticus, and it’s required that whoever controls the Prognosticus must die in order to close the void. This arguably ends up being a moot point, though, when Beast Boy dies anyway from injuries sustained in the battle.
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: Everyone in this story can breathe in space.
- Beam-O-War: Count Logan and Terra engage in one.
- Big Bad: Count Logan at first, then he gets replaced by Beljar.
- Bigger Bad: Trigon created the Dark Prognosticus, thus giving rise to Logan’s power.
- Big "NO!": Starfire gives one off when Tamaran is blown up.
- Bittersweet Ending: The fic ends with Terra returning to being a Titan, the universe being saved from the destructive powers of the Dark Prognosticus, and Count Logan finally coming to his senses and redeeming himself. However, his injuries got too much for him and he died, which caused the Titans to feel bummed because Count Logan was really Beast Boy.
- Breath Weapon: Medeva and Beast Boy's dragon form.
- Canon Foreigner: Kamica was created by one of Mykan's fans.
- Chekhov's Skill: Subverted. You'd think Beast Boy's Magic Voices might be the reason for why he sounds so different as Count Logan, but it's revealed that the mask simply disguised his voice.
- Cover-Blowing Superpower: Terra still has her powers, but is unable to use them during the minions' attack, lest she reveal her identity.
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul: Dr. Beljar invokes this trope when he takes over, since the condition for the Dark Prognosticus is to have an empty heart.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Beast Boy explains his past to Terra to justify just why he felt depressed after she dumped him.
- Decoy Protagonist: The story focuses on Beast Boy for a while before he runs away and gets killed. Then it focuses on the Titans and Doom Patrol.
- Despair Event Horizon: Beast Boy crosses it sometime after running away, which prompts the Dark Prognosticus to come and lend him his power...
- Disproportionate Retribution: The fic pulls a massive one. The villain, Count Logan, who is Beast Boy after getting a Superpowered Evil Side, sucks people who were mean to him or otherwise were just living happy lives into his book and kills them. He also has his minions blow up Tamaran because Starfire got together with Robin when Terra didn't get together with him. In fact, the entire reason why he was blowing up the universe was because he got "dumped" by Terra.
- Driven to Suicide: Count Logan's plan is essentially to destroy all the universes, destroying himself along with it. Why? Because he got dumped and decided that if he can't be happy, no one can.
- Eleventh Hour Ranger: Terra after she decides to become a hero and try to save Beast Boy. She then becomes one for the Titans.
- Entitled to Have You: Beast Boy seems to think that his sad past and hard work as a hero are why he should have Terra.
- Expy: Because of the Whole Plot Reference to Super Paper Mario, the villains are expies to the villains of that game.
- Count Logan has Count Bleck’s hat and backstory albeit less impactful and despairing as Bleck’s. He also shares Slade’s mask, though chromed.
- His three minions are expies of Bleck’s own minions and named after some of the goons from Where in Time Is Carmen Sandiego?. Kamica and Madeva are ones to Starfire and Raven respectively.
- Dr. Beljar is one of Dimentio. Knowing this, Beljar backstabbing Logan was pretty obvious.
- Faking Amnesia: The story accuses Terra of this.
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Beast Boy gets killed and we see a picture of his corpse, in which there's been a hole blown through his chest. There's also Galfore, who gets blown to ashes (or rather Windows Movie Maker Shatter effected to death).
- Fire, Ice, Lightning: Count Logan's minions, Mediva, Kamica, and Sir Vile.
- Fix Fic: What this essentially is, with the thing being fixed being Terra herself.
- Foreshadowing: Attempted at Chapter 6, though by that point it stopped being foreshadowing and became a Captain Obvious Reveal.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Kamelica's sword shoots them.
- Guest Star Party Member: The Doom Patrol become this for the run of the story.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Count Logan's minions hold down Beljar to allow the heroes to land the final blow. Why? Because they trust Logan so much that they're willing to give their lives for him.
- Idiot Ball: You wanna know how bad the Captain Obvious Reveal is? In Beast Boy's letter to the Titans, he lists his true name: Garfield Logan. And no one, not even Beast Boy's former group, The Doom Patrol, managed to figure out Count Logan's true identity.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: This gets subverted and possibly deconstructed depending on how you see it. Terra's decision to lead a normal life drove Beast Boy over the edge and caused him to gain a Superpowered Evil Side simply because the only person who actually liked him dumped him. When the former finds out what her actions of trying to be normal caused, not to mention the whole void thing going on, it made her reconsider her decision.
- Informed Ability: We're only told of what Copy Cat could do, and outside of his namesake ability to change into anyone he touches, we never see them get used.
- Internal Reveal: Because of Captain Obvious Reveal, The Reveal for Count Logan's true identity was rendered into this.
- Ironic Echo: Beast Boy, after being revealed, throws Terra's line, "Things change... the person you want me to be is no more." back in her face.
- Jerkass Realization: After Beast Boy leaves his resignation letter behind, the other Teen Titans regret how they treated him in response to his behaviour following being rejected by Terra. Unfortunately, it's too late for them to make amends and things get much worse.
- Kill It with Fire: Medeva, doubling as a Breath Weapon.
- Loophole Abuse /Prophecy Twist: The condition of being able to use the Dark Prognosticus is to have an empty heart and have never found true happiness. A cybernetic heart's essentially the same as an empty heart... Though it's unsaid how Beljar managed to fulfill the latter part.
- MST: One for the videos, one for the fic and one for the sequel!
- My God, What Have I Done?: The Titans, Doom Patrol and Terra have this reaction upon finding out about Beast Boy’s death. And soon Count Logan’s true identity.
- Origins Episode: There's one for Count Logan in Chapter 11.
- Plot-Relevant Age-Up: Beast Boy undergoes one after being possessed by the Dark Prognosticus.
- The Power of Love: Terra realizes who Count Logan really is and how her actions caused his rise to power. She then devotes herself to saving him because deep down, she loves him. This allows her to tap into the powers of the Light Prognosticus and over power Count Logan... It gets subverted though. All that she managed to do was roughen him up. Had it not been for The Starscream, Logan wouldn't have changed. It's only when he is mortally wounded that he began to redeem and not even the Power of Love was able to save him.
- Redemption Equals Death: Logan and his minions sans Beljar.
- Scaled Up: Count Logan once Dr. Beljar takes over.
- Shock and Awe: Sir Vile
- Too many to count, though for starters, as the top mentioned, the opening line came from Corpse Bride.
- As the destruction of the universe nears, Logan makes a reference to Edgar's "It won't matter... in a few minutes, you won't even be matter." line from the first Men In Black film.
- After writing his resignation letter, Beast Boy spills soda on the paper and writes a P.S stating that the Titans should consider it to be tear stains. This was an attempt to play a joke from ALF for drama.
- Count Logan's minions seem to have their names based around characters from Carmen Sandiego. The most common of them is Sir Vile and Dr. Beljar from ''Where in Time Is Carmen Sandiego?.
- Sixth Ranger: Copy Cat, though in the sense of him being a Guest Star Party Member. He gets promoted to a more permanent position after Beast Boy kicks it.
- Song Fic: Each song is taken from various sources, from Where in Time Is Carmen Sandiego? to The Little Mermaid, and butchered to fit the fic.
- Spoiler Title: Chapter 4 shows the planet Tamaran blowing up. The title? “The End of Tameran!”
- The Starscream: Dr. Beljar.
- Start of Darkness: The first two chapters, as well as a chunk of Chapter 11, essentially illustrate Count Logan's rise.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Count Logan is this for Beast Boy.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: While he looks like Robin and has the psychic powers of Raven, Copy Cat's namesake ability, to copy the forms of others, is reminiscent of the missing Beast Boy. Guess what happens once Beast Boy is Killed Off for Real.
- The Tape Knew You Would Say That: Beast Boy's resignation letter to the Titans.
Starfire: (reading Beast Boy's letter aloud) "You do not even reflect on all the good deeds and nicer things I have done for you in the past"
Starfire: (continues reading) "Tell Raven to take that back."
- That Man Is Dead: Terra's saying this in the last episode of Teen Titans is referenced from time to time. Beast Boy, who has gone insane from being rejected by Terra and has become Count Logan, throws Terra's line back in her face when she realizes who Count Logan is, as this is also a Whole Plot Reference to Super Paper Mario, where Count Logan plays Count Bleck's role.
- That Reminds Me of a Song: What Beast Boy's Magic Voices are essentially.
- Wham Episode: The fic has two. The first being Episode 9, where Count Logan reveals his true identity (provided the audience doesn't guess beforehand) to the Titans and the other in Episode 12, where Dr. Beljar backstabs Count Logan and becomes the Big Bad.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Beast Boy gets this a lot in the first two chapters, though his actions justify the calling out (they range from stalking one school girl to raiding Raven's room to downright beating up two school girls), though since it's one of those fanfics, they're portrayed as the Titans being mean to Beast Boy.
- Whole Plot Reference: This is one for Super Paper Mario.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: The fanfic tries to pull Beast Boy off as that, after he falls for the power of the Dark Prognosticus and tries to destroy the universe. His motivation for doing so is because he can't take life anymore after Terra does not want to come back to the team, following the ending of the show. Subverted heavily by the fact that he comes more off like a whinny little child who thinks breaking up with a girl is worse than losing your parents (or to compare to the Whole Plot Reference, losing your love) and wants to see everyone suffer.