Fanfic Recs: The Familiar of Zero
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth being made a Familiar for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for The Familiar of Zero
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors, and Websites
SpaceBattles Forums Creative Writing Index
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
Stupid Devil Dog
- Recommended by: shl93
- In the Space Battles Creative Forums, Zero no Tsukaima story threads are spawned on a regular basis as the Zero no Tsukaima Story Ideas and Snippets threads are rapidly filled up and new threads are created regularly. Threads contain brief snippets and ideas on Zero no Tsukaima fanfiction and story snippets are indexed in the The Index. The Space Battles Creative forums also has a Zero no Tsukaima Back to the Basics(link is current at time of writing) Thread to help clarify any misconceptions about the Zero no Tsukaima canon(Note:by 'any' I mean A LOT). Contains the largest collection of summons, reverse summons, bad ends and any other imaginable scenario that has zero chance of being written outside of Space Battles. May be hard to navigate due to sheer number of threads (#43 ) at the time of writing. A listing of longer Spacebattles stories may also be found (here ).
by The Real Lee is here
- Recommended by: ANudist
- Synopsis: Louise summons Saito Hiraga, but the writer has almost completely changed who Saito was.
Drifter Series:Revolution and Freedom
- Recommended by: Twinkieman92, The Giant Rock
- Synopsis: Hiraga Saito is a fleshed out character. Louise Françoise isn't happily whipping people. The summoning ritual does precisely what it says on the tin, summoning creature to be branded and then enslaved by the influence of the mark. There is nothing happy about it. Familiar of Zero, with 'For The Laughs' removed. How bleak are things, really?
by General RTS
Familiar of the Fairy
- Recommended by: TheRealLee
- Synopsis: Japanese-American and US army ranger Alexander Tsougi always considered himself to be a normal military grunt. That is until he teleports through a magic portal into the world of Zero no tsukaima. WARNING: the following story gets really epic by chapter 3.
- Recommended by: Overlord Zaru
- Synopsis: Reconquista is defeated, but dark forces and darker ambitions threaten to plunge Halkeginia into war. Into this morass is plunged a wanderer from a distant land, summoned as a familiar by a certain young half-Elf.
- Overlord Zaru: Relatively young and new, but shows promise thus far. A new faction comes into play and will be interesting to follow through. And it seems that Tiffa will get some spotlight alongside our heroes Saito and Louise.
Soldier of Zero
- Recommended by: eduardogranja, RonnieR15
- Synopsis: The US Government sends a Navy SEAL into a newly discovered world to recover lost equipment and weapons, and to explore this new world. This is going to be one of the most interesting missions for Commander Riptide, Sniper for SEAL Team 10.
- eduardogranja: Must say it feels good to see the reaction of Halkegenians to a true military force from Earth, and that was enough to get me hooked in the story. As of now, the story is on the higher end of the epic scale.
by Ashen Author
- Recommended by: AshDevil, Ack Sed, Unclouded TJ
- Synopsis: Louise still summons Saito, but the world he comes from is different. He can't cast magic, but he knows enough about it to give Louise a little help, and he has some other skills too. Most importantly, it's primarily Saito as a Guile Hero instead of relying on brute force. Mind games are to be expected.
Given the nature of the series' setup, a common crossover theme is to replace Saito with a character from another series in question.
The Hill of Swords
by gabriel blessing
The Third Magic
- Recommended by: Ninmikey01, Rivenscryr, Schizo Technician, Ten Four, Sunder The Gold, Ghoohg, Sinclair, nitewind, Unclouded TJ, Tropers/Mt
- Status: Complete!
- Synopsis: Shirou Emiya (now in his mid-twenties) has dealt with human summoning, magical battles, and saving the world. Now he is brought into a world where magic equates to nobility. The Zero has just summoned a Hero. Has its own Trope Page.
by Deviate's Fish (FanFiction.Net link
Alexandriad: The Song of Fire
- Recommended by: DaRandomUsername, Steve the Corn Muffin, nitewind
- Synopsis: After "successfully" completing the Springtime Familiar ritual, Louise finds out that she is now the master of a certain white-haired homunculus. Follows the Unlimited Blade Works storyline.
- Note: Also co-written/edited by AlfheimWanderer, so quality is just about guaranteed.
Saint of Zero
- Recommended by: spacemonkey37, Kazeto, nitewind
- Synopsis: The Spring-Time Familiar Summoning Ritual summons the being most suitable for the mage. A soul of fire summons forth a soul of fire. The right spark can cause anything to burn. Fate/Zero Rider
- Unfortunately is a Dead Fic that barely gets past Guiche's duel.
Miracle of Zero: Kingdom of the Forsaken
- Recommended by: AyaSai
- Synopsis: The Gandalfr is the Shield of God, meant to protect their summoner from harm. Through faith and blade, here was a man that protected the weak from all that would do them harm, and his life ended with no regrets. Though Louise did not mean to summon a Guardian Knight, there were few greater she could have asked for.
by James D. Fawkes
Echoes of the Void
- Recommended by The 17th Immortal, Maymei, Elven Queen
- Synopsis: "A girl cries out for Salvation - and receives a Miracle." Like all things, it begins with a wish. One wish, for a powerful, strong familiar. One wish, to be a hero that saves everyone. One wish, to finally live free. One wish, to finally meet again after so long apart. One wish, to be forgiven for the sin of betrayal. One wish, and it changes the world. (Quasi-sequel to Fate Revenant Sword, Normal End)
, by AlfheimWanderer
Recollections of Pain
- Recommended by: Rivenscryr, Jiven, nitewind
- Synopsis: In a society where magic is the proof of nobility, Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière, has never managed to cast a single spell properly. Scorned by her classmates as "the Zero" for her utter incompetence, the Familiar Summoning Ritual is her last chance to prove herself worthy of a title. But imagine her surprise when she summons someone as inextricably linked to the void as she, a young girl with a need to prove herself nearly as large as hers.
, also by AlfheimWanderer
Puppets of Zero
- Recommended by: Jiven, Rivenscryr, nitewind
- Synopsis: In a world where magic is the proof of nobility, Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière is an outcast, bearing the stigma of failure, as she has never been able to use the simplest of spells. Scorned by society as "the Zero," a woeful all-but-commoner with pretensions to the high nobility, the Springtime Summoning Rite is her last chance to prove otherwise. To everyone's surprise, she summons something - but when millennia long traditions hold that the summoned being reflects the caster's ability as a mage, what does it mean that her familiar is blind?
, by sagitarius
A Summon Goes Wrong: Mahou Gakusei Louise
- Recommended by: Averruncus of the shadows.
- Synopsis: A different take on the usual 'replace Saito with X' stories that dominate the ZnT crossover archives. Rather than summon a single familiar, Louise summons the four Averrunci, (starting from Fate to Sextum).
, by Nervaqus987
The Darkest Void
- Recommended by: Comartemis, Nana Bana
- Synopsis: A completely new twist on the "Louise summons X instead of Saito" plot occurs when Louise summons Evangeline as her familiar only to be caught up in the snap-back on the Infernus Scholasticus. Look out Mahora, class 2-A has a new student!
, by Corrupto Ingratio
Be Careful What You Wish For
- Recommended by: tsukinoimai
- Synopsis: Darkness brings more darkness. She was a failure of a mage, incapable of casting even the simplest spells. So of course, she had to go ahead and summon the single most talented mage of his generation as a familiar.
, by Vanishing Trooper
Breaking In Rumia
- Recommended by: Redcynic, NachtRitter, nitewind, Mt
- Status: Chapter 32 + 7 Interludes
- Synopsis: Kazami Yuuka is summoned by Louise, genderflipping in the process. Gardener and Zero, what could go wrong?
, by Chibi-Reaper.
- Recommended by: Aegeus, nitewind
- Status: 26 chapters, ongoing. Chapters 21-25 are indexed here
- Synopsis: Louise summons Rumia, Youkai of Darkness. She's good at danmaku, but she's also lazy, easily distracted, and mainly sees other humans as a food source. But with her influence, Louise becomes much darker, tackling her problems with violence, swordplay, and explosions.
, by Delta November
- Recommended by: Aelphais
- Status: 22 chapters, complete.
- Synopsis: A perfect and elegant maid is summoned as the familiar of Zero. Sakuya is forced to bide her time serving a false mistress. Remilia is not happy to have her property stolen. Warning: Gets fairly dark.
) by Midnak
, by AlfheimWanderer
- Recommended by: Harouki, Rivenscryr
- Synopsis: Familiar spirits are the mark of those born with magic, their proof of nobility. To partake in their summoning, the most sacred act of all. Come, oh beautiful, sacred, strong familiar spirit, and grant us our heart's desire...
Acolyte of Zero
The Blade of the Void
- Recommended by Rakuro Kamigamaa
- Crossover with: Warcraft
- Synopsis: Louise...summoned something different. An Acolyte of Warcraft Three, the most basic and seemingly useless unit in the history of the Scourge. However, when you look at it in a different way, the Acolyte can create enormous constructions out of sheer nothingness provided there are resources. The most basic unit, becomes the most important. Especially when it follows his own rules.
, by DestrinBriar
Child of Zero
- Recommended by: AD World, Patcheresu, speedmaster1337
- Crossover with: Mega Man X
- Synopsis: Louise summons Zero from Mega Man X with interesting results as Zero comes of a high-tech society to Louise's Late Medieval Europe. Oh, and if women are booty then you might as well start calling Zero His Royal Badassery King Emperor Knight Captain Duke Jesus Double Cap'n Zero. Because he's so powerful he can turn Albion into a crater. Floating and or otherwise. The author really has a nack for writing overpowered characters like Zero.
A Commander's Path: Road To Freedom
- Recommended by Ack Sed
- Crossover with: Godzilla: The Series
- Synopsis: Blah blah Louise summons something els- GODZILLA?! Yes, our favourite mage succeeds in summoning not just any beast, but one of the eggs left over from the attack on New York. It hatches, imprints upon her and Louise is faced with having to feed and house a rapidly-growing lizard the size of a mountain.
The Devil of Zero
- Recommended by IndefinityNumbers
- Crossover with: Command & Conquer: Generals
- Synopsis: A US Ranger team finds themselves trapped in a GLA stronghold after destroying their target. A lucky green portal saves them from being roasted by the GLA after being discovered but transports them to a world of a messed-up fairy tale where magic exists. See how soldiers trained by a free-world nation cope against tyrannical rulers and fight for the freedom of the oppressed.
by Knightmare Gundam of Ni
The Demonic God-Slaying Knight and the Void Magician
- Recommended by: KGON
- Crossover with: Devil May Cry
- Synopsis: Vergil, after dying as Nelo Angelo in DMC1, is wrested from his sordid afterlife by Louise's summoning.
Emperor of Zero
- Recommended by Vi2
- Crossover with: Angel Notes
- Synopsis: Ado Edem, ether liner and wielder of the Slash Emperor, is summoned from the shattered planet of Gaia by Louise. The first thing he has to say? "What a... beautiful sky..." A series of snippets and omakes by Erlkonig of the Beast's Lair forums.
- Comments: Notable for being one of the few fanfictions of Angel Notes that I've been able to find. There isn't very much of it, but it's fantastic while it lasts.
- Status: Discontinued as of June 4, 2011.
The Fearful Void
- Recommended by: Shinji117
- Crossover with: Real Life
- Synopsis: Napoleon Bonaparte, just after his defeat, is summoned as Louise's familiar. Things get...interesting
, by Earthscorpion
Familiar of Zero - Eternal Hawk
- Recommended by: nitewind
- Crossover with: First Encounter Assault Recon
- Synopsis: She was a very disturbed child. Terrible, debilitating nightmares. Hallucinations. Hysteria. She never had a chance at a normal life. But now at least Louise has a chance to summon a beautiful and powerful familiar at the Springtime Summoning Ritual. And somewhere else in the cosmos, a seven year old girl cries for release. Contains scenes of a disturbingly moe/disturbing nature.
The Familiars of Zero
- Recommended by OathToOblivion InfiniteFreedom01
- Crossover with: Kamen Rider
- Synopsis: Hawk Magnus was just escaping some of his school's bullies while on the way to a convention, he wasn't expecting that green circle to be in his way nor was he expecting to be summoned to a world of magic and obtaining powers himself. Now armed with the powers of a villain, he has arrived to Halkeginia as Louise's Familiar. What adventures await him there? Technically crosses with Code Geass as well
- Pairings: Henrietta x OC, Lelouch x Kallen
by Corvus no Genmu
A Green Sun Illuminates the Void
- Recommended by: MyLittleGundam
- Crossover with: Mega Crossover—oneshots
- Synopsis: "I beg of you… My slave who lives somewhere in the universe! Oh sacred, beautiful and strong familiar spirit! I desire and here I plead from my heart! Answer to my guidance!" For such powerful magic words they are quite vague are they not? The universe has long since been proven to be far more massive than can be measured and the reflections even more infinite. Beautiful and strong can be defined in numerous ways and differ by one's own views of strength and beauty. However, a plea that comes straight from the heart fueled by a desire created from years of emotional torment by one's peers? That is a voice heard by any who are willing to listen.
, by Earthscorpion
Glory to the Principality of Tristain
- Recommended by: Razorsmile, evilian123, Mt, The Giant Rock
- Crossover with: Exalted
- Status: Complete
- Synopsis: Instead of going the same route as every single ZnT fic ever and having her summon yet another character from across the multiverse, Earthscorpion has her attempt the Familiar summoning ... and fail. Not just fail, but fail so badly a representative of Malfeas shows up to offer her a much more exciting alternative. Has its own Trope Page.
by Qwaar, Cowriter Harouki
- Recommended by: SAMAS
- Crossover with: Gundam
- Synopsis: Of all the familiars Louise could've summoned, a seventeen-meter war golem was certainly not one of the things she or anyone else would've expected. Of course, they're not nearly as surprised as one Steve Lazlo Smith, the Zaku's pilot.
Herald of the Void
- Recommended by HK87, Savoie, Zarclonia, nitewind, Sinclair, Mt. Ack Sed, aightaight
- Crossover with: Sword Art Online
- Synopsis: Louise got her wish to summon the most impressive familiar in her class when she ripped the entire Alfheim setting out of cyberspace and dumped it over Tristain. There's a giant tree looming over the academy, 61,000 "elves" who don't know why they're suddenly able to feel pain, monsters running amok in the countryside, and one particular black swordsman with an awful sense of deja vu. But what's become of Asuna, and what will the local schemers make of these new arrivals?
, by Nim Maj
HOPES and FEARS
by One-Way Road
Knight of the Void
- Recommended by Chaosjunction
- Crossover with: A Certain Magical Index
- ''Synopsis": Hiraga Saito gets summoned by Louise Francoise le Blanc de la Valliere to serve as her familiar... but an uninvited guest comes along from Baggage City and shakes up Halkegenia.
The Left Hand of the Death God
- Recommended by kinglugia
- Crossover with: Monster Girl Quest
- Synopsis: Louise asked for a sacred, beautiful and strong familiar, hoping to gain a dragon, or a manticore, or perhaps a gryphon. She certainly got what she was looking for in the silver haired teen she summoned. Not that she knows it yet.
- Comments: Basically a version of Babies Ever After Monster Girl Quest where Luka's son was summoned by Louise. Said son was taught by Alma Elma. I love to see the time when he meets Karin the Heavy Wind.
by Farmer Kyle
-little big bang-
- Recommended by ultimomant
- Crossover with Bleach
- Status: Dormant
- Synopsis: Gandalfr; The Left Hand of God; This was the familiar of the Founder Brimir that would protect him during Brimir's spell chants. A master of weapons that would take on armies to protect its master. Who better for such a role than someone who has fought both the living and armies of the dead to protect those closest to his heart? Someone whose very name means 'one who protects'?
by Ars Poetica
, by Mashadar
No Need for Halkeginian "Logic"
- Recommended by: throwaawy
- Crossover with: Magicka
- Synopsis: The unlikeliest of crossings. The most improbable of incidents. The most hilarious of universes. A considerably different sort of crossover. Sanity is for the weak anyway. When Louise began the Summon Familiar ritual, she had no clue that another group of students were attempting the exact same thing. She has never before been so happy to have the title "the Zero" until now...
(Also available on SpaceBattles
) by Midnak
On The Wings Of An Eagle
- Recommended by: imaithebadass, Unclouded TJ, Ack Sed, becomethemoon
- Crossover with: Assassin's Creed
- Synopsis: Near the end of his life, Ezio Auditore, once Mentor of the Assassins, decides to serve his order with his dying breath by retrieving an ancient artifact. To his surprise, it whisks him away to a strange country of magic, where old eagles fly again...
Points of Familiarity
- Recommended by: spacemonkey37, Unclouded TJ, Ack Sed
- Crossover with: Overlord
- Synopsis: "A new overlady, you say? She's a little short and flat-chested, although her temper is impressively vile. Oh well. Needs must when needs must. Too long have the lands of Halkeginia gone without true Evil. There are fluffy bunnies and happy ponies all over the place, frolicking! It makes me quite sick! No, it doesn't matter if she wants to or not. Because Evil always finds a way."
, by Charles Bhepin
- Recommended by: Comartemis, Shay Guy, Ack Sed
- Crossover with: Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Status: Discontinued after six chapters.
- Synopsis: On one end, a young mage who begged fate for something that would validate her reason for being. At the other, a young man who sought the desolation of his existence. Where they meet, is the terror that would shake the very foundations of magic.
- Note: Now has a Trope Page. Surrogate of Zero's page can be found here.
Stigma of the Void
- Recommended by helltamirre, Nottheunmaker
- Crossover with: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
- Synopsis: Failing the Springtime Familiar Summoning was fate for Louise de la Valliére, but nothing could have prepared her for the consequences. While Tristain becomes a twisted shadow of its former self, Louise finds herself in a world where nearly everything is out to kill her and the fabric of reality has been warped beyond recognition. Welcome to the Zone, Louise. A nice reversal of usual ZnT fanfic "Louise summons X instead Saito" story. Set in Call of Pripyat timeline.
- Now with Tropes page!
by Leo Septem
- Recommended by Unclouded TJ
- Crossover with: Kaze no Stigma
- Synopsis: Louise Valliere wanted a strong familiar to prove that she wasn't a failure. What she got was the only living Contractor in existence, Kazuma Yagami. Louise summoned Kazuma prior to the start of his series.
Summoning the Sun
- Recommended by MagusPandora
- Crossover with: inFAMOUS
- Synopsis: He was known as the Wrath of Odin, Zeus' Rage... and monster, But yet, all he desired was to redeem himself in the eyes of the world that had seen him as nothing but a monster. Defending several Conduit children, he holds up against the militia in a final act of redemption. But just as death comes for him... a pink haired mage calls for a familiar.
, by Mashadar
- Recommended by: Tiroth, nitewind
- Crossover with: Ōkami
- Synopsis: She begged for a beautiful, sacred and strong familiar. She never expected how sacred a certain white wolf could be.
), by Cataquack Warrior
Through the World Door
- Recommended by: GoldenDarkness
- Crossover with: Pokémon
- Synopsis: Team Rocket never expected to find themselves with a new Boss, especially the young untalented Louise the Zero. With no twerps and Pikachu to chase after, Team Rocket decides to serve their new Boss with full gusto, and show the land of Halkeginia she's no Zero. Whether Louise likes it or not.
by Leo Septim
The True Zero
- Recommended by: Shadow Arisato
- Crossover with: High School D×D
- Status: Ongoing
- Synopsis: Saito Hiraga, the Gandalfr, has finally returned to his homeworld of Earth after a year of trials, suffering, and enslavement in the land of magic and monsters, Halkeginia. But even on Earth, he is not safe from the supernatural. And even on Earth, he may just find himself bound by the chains of servitude once more...
- Comments: This is not your average "Louise-has-a-familiar-that's-not-Saito" fanfic crossover. It's one where Saito returns to Earth and with his Gandalfr abilities intact. However... Well, just read and find out what happens. It looks promising with its very detailed and long chapters.
by The Distorted Shadow
- Recommended by: Shadow Arisato
- Crossover with: Persona 3
- Status: Ongoing
- Synopsis: Arisato Minato sacrificed himself to prevent the fall, however he was definitely not expecting to suddenly appear in a different world to be the familiar of an over aggressive loli.
, by Cpl_Facehugger (TV Tropes Page
Zero Shock (FF.net Link)
, by Rogue_Vector (AKA Rouge_Psyker of Toy Hammer
) (TV Tropes page
- Recommended by: Gentlemens Dame 883, Ack Sed
- Crossover with: BioShock
- Status: Updated to chapter 14 on April 9th 2013.
- Synopsis: Louise summons Jack after the events of the game. There will be BEES.