Fanfic: Surrogate Of Zero
Surrogate of Zero
, by Charles Bhepin
, is a crossover fic between Neon Genesis Evangelion
and The Familiar of Zero
, wherein Louise summons a post-Third Impact
Shinji Ikari as her familiar. It's a rewrite of Points of Familiarity
, promising "A smaller scope, a tighter narrative, less innuendo.
Discussion threads for Surrogate
.com can be found here
Surrogate of Zero provides examples of the following:
- Alien Non-Interference Clause: It's first defied when Asuka tells Shinji to ask Louise for details about Halkeginian magic, and then discussed later in dialogue between Asuka and Shinji, and Asuka and Rei.
- Animals Hate Him: ZigZagged. Kirche's fire lizard is afraid of Shinji, but Tabitha's dragon just bites his head and slobbers on him in nothing more than apparent curiosity.
- Aristocrats Are Evil:
- The commoners generally see the nobles as this, especially when they think that Louise stole Shinji away from his prior life to be her familiar.
- Guiche all but says outright that Count Mott has a taste for rape, and throws orgies for other nobles as a way of securing influence.
- Beef Bandage: Used by Shinji after Louise gets mad and blows him up in ch. 7.
- Body Surf: Rei emerges through Shinji and comes close to "tanging" Siesta before she's stopped by Asuka.
- Canis Latinicus: Asuka refers to Shinji as Shinjicus Ikaricus Inepticus, Louise as Louise-la-Vallieries Tsunderis Jailbaitus, and Tabitha as Tabithas Neotenus Badasseri.
- Colon Cancer: Comes up when Rei chides Asuka at the start of ch. 6.
Sohryu, we are concerned about how you're treating your task as if it is Shinji Ikari: The Spin-off Game: Divinity Maker: The RPG.
- Comic Role Play: Well, not actually comedic. After failing to get Louise to understand the implications of Siesta suddenly becoming a mistress of Count Mott through discussion, Shinji roleplays the possible iterations with Louise. It's eerily effective; Asuka is especially impressed.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Shinji utterly dominates Guiche in their duel.
- Death by Childbirth: Just as in Points, although the details are still unknown. What's established is that Shinji and Asuka's baby was a girl. Also, the baby's skeleton is referred to as "hand-sized", and Asuka calls her "aborted" at one point, hinting that she may have died from a miscarriage.
- Dramedy / Lighter and Softer: Surrogate is much more comedic in tone than Points, although the fundamental seriousness is still present.
- Exposition Beam: Shinji gives Louise, Colbert, Osmond, and Longueville an idea of his past and what he had to deal with by having them each relive his experience of piloting Unit 01 against Sachiel.
- Eye Scream: The experience of Sachiel impaling Unit 01's head through its eye is described in detail during the Exposition Beam scene. Also, see Your Mind Makes It Real below.
- Familiar Eye Spy: Shinji discovers that the familiar/master bond allows he and Louise to see through each others' eyes. They use this in ch. 7 to discuss Siesta's odd behavior and what would have caused it via written notes.
- First-Person Smartass: Asuka's narration frequently drifts into this, especially when she and Shinji are "talking" directly to each other. That said, no one is safe from her snark (except Tabitha, to some extent).
- God Guise: In order to cover up his AT-field tricks, Shinji sets up Asuka as a goddess of war, her skull being a holy relic that gives its wielder power. The intro to ch. 6 is a discussion between Asuka and Rei about expanding the "pantheon."
- Grievous Harm with a Body / One-Hit KO: Shinji and Guiche's duel ends with Shinji beaning Guiche with Asuka's skull.
- Humanoid Abomination / Mind Hive: Shinji is, as labeled by Asuka, Homo Apotheosis: the embodiment of the Well of Souls created in Third Impact. In other words, he's an Angel.
- Improvised Weapon: Asuka describes her skull as this during Shinji's duel.
- In Love with Your Carnage: Asuka's most proud of and affectionate toward Shinji when he's fighting and standing up for others, especially if he's invoking her and/or using her skull.
There are so many ways of resolving this, and still you chose the one that leads to violence. Oh you sweet thing. I so want to give you a biiig hug right now.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Done intentionally by Tabitha with her book stacks in the library.
- Interactive Narrator:
- Asuka's narration sits on both sides of the fourth wall—it's not only a foundation of the story, Shinji hears most (if not all) of it in his head.
- Rei tries to be this but is rebuffed by Asuka. However, the two of them do converse "behind the scenes" about certain issues.
- Lemony Narrator: Asuka never holds back on snarking Shinji.
- Little Miss Badass: Asuka recognizes Tabitha as someone not to be trifled with almost immediately after Shinji meets her. Learning later that she's already a Triangle-class mage reinforces the point.
- Memento Macguffin: Asuka's skull. For Shinji, it's a reminder of what he's lost, a sentimental token of their relationship, and a potent weapon. It later becomes a way for Longueville to get access to the school's Vault once Shinji turns it over to the school.
- Mindlink Mates: Shinji and Asuka, as a result of her soul having rejoined the Well of Souls after her second death.
- Mr. Seahorse: A very odd take. Some of Shinji's behaviors remind Louise of a pregnant woman, which leads Asuka to note that by taking their unborn daughter's soul into himself, he's made himself metaphysically pregnant.
- No Sell: Neither Shinji nor Asuka's skull are affected by Halkegenian magic in the slightest, aside from Shinji acquiring the runes on his hand as part of the familiar binding spell.
- OOC Is Serious Business: The start of ch. 7, when a slightly-drunk Siesta interrupts one of Louise's classes to tell Shinji goodbye, signals to him that something is very wrong.
- Posthumous Narration: There's a reason Asuka isn't directly interacting with Shinji. She even mentions her skull in first-person.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: Guiche has no love lost for Count Mott, primarily because of his predatory ways.
[...] don't you dare compare a Gramont to a Mott! Someone who forces himself onto a woman is scum! Though there are those who despise the well-earned reputation of the Gramont, never have we taken liberties with a woman without her willing consent! To us, the face of Mott is the face of the enemy!
- Shout-Out: Bpen continues his penchant for them, but he takes it a step further by having Shinji lampshade their use in Asuka's narration, which she defends as a means of helping make sense of their circumstances.
- Tragic Keepsake: When Shinji goes to Halkegenia, he takes two of these with him: the skulls of Asuka and their baby, the latter of which Shinji transforms into an Angelic core in his body.
- Your Mind Makes It Real: Because of the Exposition Beam/Eye Scream above, Louise, Osmond, Colbert, and Longueville all bleed from their right eyes as a side effect.