WALL•E (Waste Allocation Load Lifter – Earth Class)
The title character. WALL•E is the only robot of his kind shown to be still functioning on Earth. Although working diligently to fulfill his directive to clean up the garbage, he is distracted by his curiosity, collecting trinkets of interest. One day during work, he meets EVE and his life changes forever.
Voiced by: Ben Burtt
- Absurdly Dedicated Worker: He keeps trying to clean up Earth's surface after all humans have left even though he is the only robot still functioning and no real progress has been made in several hundred years.
- Adorkable: He loves musicals (well, one musical) and collects sporks.
- All-Loving Hero: Seems genuinely pleased to meet everyone he comes across, human or robot.
- The Aloner: In the beginning.
- Blithe Spirit: Everyone he encounters starts thinking differently as a result of it—maybe because he wakes them up from their trance or because he's so filthy they break their programming to clean him.
- Butt Monkey: Gets blasted at, crashed into, broken, and tossed into walls regularly.
- Collector of the Strange: He keeps a wide assortment of random trinkets that catch his fancy.
- Critical Annoyance: A low-pitched BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP plays when he's about to run out of energy.
- Determinator: Did the same job for 700 years, held onto the ship back to the Axiom for no one knows how long simply because EVE was on it, and held up the holo detector even though he had very recently been electrocuted by AUTO and was still recovering from that.
- Cute Machines
- Desperately Craves Affection: Keeps a pet cockroach. When he meets another actual robot, he's so eager to make contact that he tries to befriend her despite her attempt to blast him.
- Dogged Nice Guy: To EVE, initially.
- Last of His Kind: All the other WALL•E units have shut down. (He scavenges them for replacement parts.)
- Leitmotif: "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" from Hello, Dolly! serves as a symbol of WALL•E's emergent personality, and later becomes the rallying anthem of the malfunctioning robots. The absence of this song on WALL•E's personal audio recorder is what convinces EVE that he Came Back Wrong.
- Love at First Sight: He falls in love with EVE the first time he sees her. Possibly justified in that EVE is the first living thing he's seen other than cockroaches.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Feminine Boy to EVE's Masculine Girl, despite being a garbage robot.
- Nice Guy: Granted, he does troll MO a bit.
- Non-Action Guy: He's a garbage bot. The closest thing he would have to an offensive capability is a utility cutting laser, but he never uses it as a weapon.
- Not a Morning Person: He drags himself around like a human needing a cup of coffee, bumping into things and unable to put his treads on until he gets his morning sunshine.
- Official Couple: With EVE.
- Opposites Attract: With EVE.
- The Pig Pen: Not on purpose, but 700 years cleaning up garbage on a deserted wasteland hasn't left him in the best shape.
- Post-Kiss Catatonia: WALL•E completely freezes the first time EVE "kisses" him.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: When they're reset to factory standard, it's highly disturbing. The return to normal is what signals that he's back.
- Robo Romance: With EVE.
- A Robot and His Cockroach
- Stalker with a Crush: Much nicer than most examples, but the trope still applies. They even brought it up on the Blu-Ray geek track. "He's got stalker charm!"
- Stalking Is Love: To EVE.
EVE (Extraterrestrial Vegetation Evaluator)
A sleek robot who WALL•E meets during a day at work and has come to Earth looking for something. She moves using antigravity technology and is equipped with scanners, specimen storage and a plasma cannon in her arm, which she is quick to use. WALL•E falls in love with her the moment he sees her. Eventually, she warms up to him and falls in love with him as well.
Voiced by: Elissa Knight
- Action Girl: With her arm cannon and a general willingness to rush into a fight.
- Action Girlfriend: To WALL•E eventually. She defends him, carries him around, and rescues him when AUTO's minions start chasing them through the ship.
- Adam and/or Eve
- Arm Cannon: Her primary weapon. Also her main tool, it seems.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: At first, she only cares about her directive. She starts defrosting after her frustrations with it make her more tolerant of talking to WALL•E.
- Dungeon Bypass
- Gaussian Girl
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It doesn't take much for her to use her arm cannon on something.
- Hot-Blooded: With that Hair-Trigger Temper of hers and that much determination to complete an objective, she would definitely qualify.
- MacGuffin Escort Mission: Her directive is to safely bring plant life from Earth to the Axiom's scanner.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Masculine Girl to WALL•E's Feminine Boy.
- Meaningful Name: She is named after Eve, the first woman on Earth according to The Bible, because Andrew Stanton thought that WALL•E's loneliness reminded him of Adam, before God created his wife.
- Not so Above It All: At WALL•E's home, he hands her an egg-beater, and after figuring it out, she spins it so fast that it breaks. Her reaction? To quickly puts away the handle and try not to draw attention. She even starts to hum something while she waits.
- Official Couple: With WALL•E.
- Opposites Attract: With WALL•E.
- Robo Romance: With WALL•E.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man
- Trigger Happy: Responds to any movement by blasting it when she first arrives on Earth.
- The Unpronounceable: To WALL•E.
- When All You Have Is a Laser Cannon: Her problem solving tree is something like "blast it with my arm cannon. Does it still need to be blasted more? [Y/N]"
- Wingding Eyes
M-O (Microbe Obliterator)
A tiny, obsessive-compulsive maintenance robot with rollers for hands who keeps Axiom
clean. When M-O meets WALL•E and sees how filthy he is, he deviates from his normal routine and follows WALL•E, cleaning up behind him.
Voiced by: Ben Burtt
- The Napoleon: Smaller than most of the other robots, but leads the group of cleaner robot.
- Neat Freak: So much so that he breaks his programming to follow WALL•E throughout the ship and clean him.
- Super OCD: He does not tolerate dirt and would even cut through the other robots' designated paths to clean up WALL•E's tracks.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: Even when M-O starts helping the heroes, he does this by cleaning, the only thing he can do, even when other things would be more useful.
AUTO is the autopilot. Shaped like a sailing ship's steering wheel, Auto units assist the ship's captain with his or her duties.
BURN-E (Basic Utility Repair Nano Engineer)
BURN-E is the robot that is seen repairing the ship when WALL•E and EVE fly into the airlock and lock him outside. He's the focus of a short on the DVD with his name.
Voiced by: Angus MacLane
- Ascended Extra: Gets his own short.
- Butt Monkey: He's just trying to do his job and fix the ship, but the events of the film keep causing chaos for him.
- Lower Deck Episode: His short shows how his work spans the entire film.
- Shaggy Dog Story: By the time he finally gets it working, the light is destroyed again. And even if it wasn't destroyed, they're back on Earth by that point so it doesn't matter much anymore.
- Rule of Three: It takes him three trips to finally repair the light he's trying to fix.
The CEO of Buy n Large as of the exodus from Earth to clean up the rampant trash everywhere.
Played by: Fred Willard
- And Now For Something Completely Different: Hey Pixar, you got some live-action in your CGI...
- Word of God says this is because Fred Willard is like a cartoon anyway.
- Bigger Bad: He was the one who gave Auto the "never return to Earth" order that caused part of the main conflict later on.
- Posthumous Character: The movie takes place nearly 700 years after his enactment of Protocol A-113, so it's safe to assume he's long dead.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: He put Protocol A-113 into place because Earth's environment had become toxic and he didn't want humans coming back to it.
The captain of the Axiom
. His daily duties are so droll that he doesn't take them seriously... at first.
Voiced by: Jeff Garlin
- Acrofatic: For someone who has literally NEVER gotten any exercise, or even stood up once in his life, he sure has a strong grip!
- Big Good
- Cowardly Lion: He reacts with loud shock whenever he sees something unfamiliar, like a dirty robot from earth, or a voice-activation mic. But he is surprisingly capable in an actual crisis.
- The Captain: "Auto... You are relieved of duty!"
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: He starts as just another blob-person going through mindless routine. The prospect of returning to Earth wakes him up.
- Determinator: ""I am the captain of the Axiom! We are going home today!
- Only Sane Man: Seems to be the only human on board that is aware of the ennui of their existence.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: He's the highest-ranking (and perhaps only) officer aboard the Axiom, and manages to take down Auto in hand-to-hand fighting.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He is a bit strict about protocol and routine, but not when the fate of humanity is at stake.
One of the passengers aboard the Axiom
, and the first human WALL•E has probably interacted with on-board. He was entranced by the ennui of life aboard the Axiom
before a chance encounter with WALL•E.
Another passenger aboard the Axiom
, also broken out of her trance by a chance encounter with WALL•E.
Voiced by: Kathy Najimy