Characters: The Vampire Chronicles
Characters seen throughout The Vampire Chronicles
- Killed Off for Real: By Tommy and Marklin in Taltos, to prevent him from returning to the Talamasca and exposing the intercepted communications.
- Bi the Way: Had a few female lovers, but the majority were male. Justified in that vampires typically see gender as a non-issue.
- Emergency Transformation: Marius never really wanted to turn him, but Armand got into a fight, got wounded with a poisoned blade and was on the brink of death when Maruis decided to save his life by making him a vampire.
- Pretty Boy
- Really 700 Years Old: Four hundred, to be exact.
- Religion of Evil: Lead one of these, up until Lestat shattered his cult's beliefs simply by existing.
- The Dreaded: In early-modern Paris, he is this.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: As a mortal child, he was abducted from his Russian home and brought over to Europe as a slave boy. The apparant brutality of this event caused him to forget pretty much anything, including his name or how to speak. It takes him a long time under Marius' care (and the transformation into a vampire) to remember things bit by bit. And they trouble him.
- Yaoi Guys: Mostly with Marius, but he also has some sorts of... ahem... chemistry with Lestat, Louis and Daniel.
- Drowning My Sorrows: Throughout Queen of the Damned, drinks to push back his oncoming madness from the knowledge that vampires exist.
- Emergency Transformation: Armand makes him a vampire against his better judgement, because he's ruined his liver beyond all repair.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Exclusively called "the boy" or "the interviewer" until the third book.
Gabrielle de Lioncourt
Jessica Miriam Reeves
- The Atoner: After he regains his memories of his mortal years and Rape by Proxy of the Twins.
- The Dreaded: Watch arrogant, supernatural predators suddenly shrink away in fear at his presence.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Forgot his entire history and even what he was, repeatedly, each time having to rediscover the world.
- Amnesiacs Are Innocent: He describes his unknowing self as "a being who understood the word joy", and takes a childlike interest in the technology and arts around him.
- Oh, Crap: The feeling of more or less any vampire after just seeing him.
- The Older Immortal: One of the oldest, at about 7000 years. After Mekare consumes Akasha, he's the oldest.
- Power Incontinence: Once accidentally incinerates a young vampire when trying to catch up with her, being unaware that he's developed the Fire Gift.
- Rape by Proxy: Enkil forced him to rape both Maharet and Mekare when they were in captivity, and his guilt over this seems to have been a factor in driving him to amnesiac madness.
- Walking the Earth: For thousands of years.
Lestat de Lioncourt
- Agent Peacock
- A God Am I: Starts calling himself this after becoming a celebrity with mortals. He doesn't mean it literally, like Akasha does.
- Affably Evil
- Anti-Hero: All over the map on this one.
- Bi the Way: He's had a few female lovers (Akasha, Gabrielle de Lioncourt, and Rowan Mayfair being the most obvious examples), but the majority of his lovers were male.
- Breakout Character: An extremely controversial figure among vampires by Queen of the Damned. He's either loved or hated in the vampire community, almost nothing in between.
- Byronic Hero
- Character Filibuster: He should be the God of this trope.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Deal with the Devil: Twice. Once with Akasha, who gave him her extremely potent blood (along with most of his powers) in exchange for his loyalty and love, and again with the actual devil.
- The Dragon: Becomes this to Akasha, for a while. Before betraying her.
- Hemo Erotic
- Incest Is Relative: With his mother, Gabrielle.
- Manipulative Bastard
- Man of Wealth and Taste: Absolutely infamous for his vanity and sense of fashion.
- Playing with Fire
- Refuge in Audacity: The only reason he's able to get away with calling himself a vampire publicly, while making money off of centuries-old vampire secrets, is because mortals think it's just a stage act that he's very, very dedicated to. Only other vampires and the Talamasca know otherwise.
- Sense Freak
- The Trickster
- The ‹bermensch
- Wicked Cultured
- Yaoi Guys: Chronologically, he first has Nicolas, and then Louis.
Louis de Pointe du Lac
Maharet and Mekare
- Creepy Twins
- Eye Scream: Maharet suffered this, and inflicts it upon her victims, tearing out their eyes to put into her sockets so she can see again.
- I'm a Humanitarian: The vision that introduces them is of them as young women on either side of an older woman's cooked corpse, preparing to eat it. Turns out she was their mother, and it was their culture's Due to the Dead. Later, Mekare kills Akasha by eating her heart and brain.
- Monster Lord: Mekare becomes the new Queen of the Damned upon eating Akasha's heart and brain.
- Rape as Backstory: When they were in captivity, both were raped by Khayman, on Enkil's orders. Maharet wound up pregnant.
Marius de Romanus
Nicolas de Lenfent
- A God Am I: Let's just say she took Lestat's take on this trope Up to Eleven when it comes to vampire relations with humans.
- Authority Equals Asskicking
- Big Bad: In Queen of the Damned.
- Black Widow
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Literally being eaten by Mekare.
- The Dreaded
- God Save Us from the Queen!
- Monster Progenitor: As the original vampire, but she herself only created two fledglings: Khayman and Enkil.
- Demonic Possession: The reason for the above. She's possessed by the demon Amel, who is the reason for vampires existing. If Akasha were to die (and thus expel Amel from her body), vampires would die as well... at least until Mekare Took a Third Option.
- Person of Mass Destruction
- Playing with Fire: The Fire Gift. You can almost hear the vampires in the nightclub shit bricks as she whips it out.
- Puny Humans: Delights in slaughtering humans above and beyond the amount necessary for feeding, pretty much because she can.
- Physical God: The first vampire, and therefore the most powerful, bar none.
- Really 6,000 Years Old
- Red Baron: "The Queen of the Damned".
- Sealed Evil in a Can: If Marius' basement counts as a can.
- Taken for Granite: She and her husband (and first fledgling vampire), Enkil, were in such a deep sleep that they were basically living statues. Until Lestat woke her back up...
- The Vamp: Pun unintended. First thing she does after hearing Lestat's music? Kills Enkil. Why? She decided she likes Lestat more.
- Vampire Monarch
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Absolutely slaughters the vampires who said they were going to kill Lestat for spilling vampire secrets publicly.
- We Can Rule Together: Offers this to Lestat. He accepts... at first, anyway.
- Yandere: For Lestat. To a scary degree.