It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
Characters: The 23 Banchos
Back to Kongoh Bancho
open/close all folders
Tropes That Apply To All
Banchos who eventually become allies with Akira.
Tropes that Apply to all
- Five-Man Band:
- The Hero: Kongou Bancho. Leader simply for never having been beaten. And being a total Badass.
- The Lancer: Iai Bancho. A level-headed and honorable swordsman.
- The Smart Guy: Hikyou Bancho: Uses trickery and deception. Fights smarter, not harder.
- The Big Guy: Gouriki Bancho. Considering the fact that she swings around two iron balls on sticks that are as big as she is, it counts.
- The Chick: Nenbutsu Bancho. Only gets here by being a pseudo-Buddhist priest. Does, however, cover the philosophical side.
- Sixth Ranger: Sasori Bancho, along with Drill Bancho, Remodel Bancho, Dinosaur Bancho, Machine Bancho, Thorn Gate Bancho, the Five Dark Vows and Gunshot Bancho.
Yuu Akiyama/Hikyou Banchou
- Artificial Limbs: Grenade Gun Arm.
- Bare Your Midriff: His combat outfit.
- Big Brother Instinct: When the orphanage he grew up in lost its funding and all the adults bailed, he took over the job of protecting the younger kids, and resorts to some very dirty criminal methods to do so.
- Bishōnen: Underneath his mask.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: More like Grenade Gun artificial limb.
- Calling Your Attacks: Dirty Execution, Ayatori, Dirty Rondo and Grenade Gun Arm.
- Catch Phrase: "For the things I want to protect, I'll be as cowardly as it takes!"
- "Let's have a fair cowardly fight!"
- Phrase Catcher: "You coward!" Generally said once his victim realizes they've been had.
- Combat Pragmatist: Uses traps to take care of his enemies.
- Crazy-Prepared: Hikyou Banchou takes the cake here. Seriously, this guy is like a Japanese Batman. Before a fight he ends up giving a guy diarrhea by poisoning his food HOURS before the fight! Not to mention how much he is prepared to protect those he cares about. He makes the orphans swallow pills that will nullify poison, has a freaking machine gun under his own fake arm (which a lot of people had assumed was real for quite some time), and he has a bomb in the shape of a kid just in case his enemy will take hostages. This guy is Batman with a penchant for using guns and explosives on people!
- Defeat Equals Friendship
- Dirty Coward: Initially seems to be this, but has a Freudian Excuse.
- Domino Mask: His Cool Mask.
- Expecting A Complete Monster: The preview prior to his debut make him out to one of the most evil character in shonen history, but he turns out to a Combat Pragmatist and likable character.
- Expy: Hikyou Banchou looks like Kato with a shorter shirt.
- For the Evulz: Apparently the reason why Hikyou Banchou transferred the rest of the Five-Man Band into Kongou's class.
- Happily Married: In the epilogue to Haruka.
- Heel-Face Turn
- The Lancer: Interchangeable with The Smart Guy.
- Manipulative Bastard: Prior Heel-Face Turn, but he also has elements of this even afterward.
- Noble Demon: Since his Heel-Face Turn, Hikyou Banchou takes every opportunity he can to remind everyone that he's only part of the Five-Man Band as part of his plan to be the last man standing. Even if there's some truth to it, there's the matter of going into a Tranquil Fury when Kongoh is killed by Machine Banchou, going so far as to take the latter on all by himself.
- Red Baron: Hikyou (Cowardly) Bancho
- Razor Floss: Ayatori, connecting threads of synthetic fiber between each of his fingers to sever opponents' ligaments.
- Say It with Hearts: A repeat offender.
- The Smart Guy: The Strategist within the group.
- Token Evil Teammate: Likes to think of himself as this, but he cares for his teammates.
- He still treats his enemies brutally, though.
- Tranquil Fury: After Kongoh's death.
- Whip It Good: His weapon other than his wits and traps
Kiryu Touya/Iai Bancho
- Bare Your Midriff: Briefly in the final arc, Squee
- Bishōnen: So much so, he looks like a woman at first glance.
- Blind Weapon Master: He becomes this after slashing his eyes. Thankfully, he recovers later.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: A victim of this by Kaizou Banchou.
- Calling Your Attacks: Flicker, Bloom, Rain, Grave, Oborodachi, White Feather Twist.
- Celibate Hero: Hinted very early on when he insists Hinako wear a kimono and comments that she shouldn't be showing her legs, played for comedy when he sees girls in skirts, and then played for plot against a later Bancho, who gives him a Nosebleed when he so much as looks at her, causing him to slash his eyes out and fight that way.
- Chaste Hero
- Diagonal Cut: Does this regularly.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Played with; he can't look at the sexy and pays dearly for it.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Being far too Bishōnen leads to this.
- Eye Scream: So as not to be Distracted by the Sexy
- Handicapped Badass: Iai Bancho slashes his own eyes so that he doesn't have to look at his opponents. The bandages have yet to be removed, and he's still an excellent swordsman.
- Implausible Fencing Powers
- Manly Tears: Sheds these with grace and dignity upon discovering that Akira has been killed by Machine Bancho.
- Master Swordsman: An iaijutsu swordsman.
- Maybe Ever After: With Yoruko.
- Put on a Bus: Gets taken out by Kenpei Banchou at the start of the Dark Student Council Arc.
- Red Baron: The Iai Bancho.
- Samurai: Has traits of a Knight in Shining Armor as well considering how he treats women.
Shirayukinomiya Kobushi/Gouriki Bancho
- Action Girl: When Sasori Bancho isn't ready to fight.
- Big Eater: Presumably because of the calories she burns off, she eats huge helpings of food.
- Calling Your Attacks: Divine Fist, Falling Impact and Chase Pendulum.
- The Cape: Believes herself to be this at first.
- Catch Phrase: "I've come to do the work of justice!"
- Clothing Damage: During her fight with Kangoku Bancho.
- Cute Bruiser: Very cute as well as strong.
- Defeat Equals Friendship
- Drop the Hammer: Her technique.
- Dumb Muscle: Lampshaded by Kangoku Bancho in reference to Gouriki Bancho, when he wonders if her brain is made of muscle as well. After her attacks end up having an effect after all, he wonders if she's really a Genius Bruiser... which she promptly shoots down when she panics.
- Hair Decorations: Always wears a pair of clips or barrettes in her hair, one on either side of her face. Usually they have stars or flowers on them and are very cute and girly. On Mugenjima, she's wearing a pair shaped like tiny little fists.
- Heel-Face Turn: Since technically she was evil.
- Idiot Hero: Gouriki Bancho. Unusual in that she's not the main character, but someone he fights.
- My God, What Have I Done?: The end result of Gouriki Bancho being both an Idiot Hero and a Well-Intentioned Extremist.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain/ Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Went around destroying polluting factories with no idea of the after-effects of such disasters. She learned her lesson by the end of her arc, though.
- Overly Long Name: Her surname.
- Red Baron: Gouriki (Herculean Strength) Bancho.
- Red Herring: A subordinate called Onji Kairiki who looked like someone who had Herculean Strength, cue to the end of his debut to the real one that is Kobushi.
- She's All Grown Up: In the Epilogue, she has become a very famous fashion model.
- Super Strength: Especially for her size.
- Token Mini-Moe
Master Raionji/Nenbutsu Bancho
- Bald of Awesome: Which he can grow hair from, at will, just to prove that he isn't completely bald.
- Bald of Evil: Back when he was a bad guy.
- Balloon Belly: The expanded diaphragm is the secret of his power.
- Blow You Away: The secret behind his mystical powers is the manipulation of breath.
- Brainwashed: Can do this to others, but it's Played for Laughs post-Heel-Face Turn.
- Breaking Speech: Delivers a dazzling one to Gisou Bancho.
- Butt Monkey: To say he's not taken seriously after his Heel-Face Turn is an understatement.
- Calling Your Attacks: Lotus Pedestal, Divine Retribution: Katsugeki and Prayer Bead Strike.
- Defeat Equals Friendship: After being beaten by Akira, he cleans up his act.
- Catch Phrase: "The doors to the afterlife are always open."
- Heel-Face Turn: Very meaningful, since he was actually evil and manipulative rather than misguided.
- Kick the Dog: Intends to have his minion eaten alive by piranhas for his failure. Fortunately, Akira saved him before it resulted in a Family-Unfriendly Death.
- Manipulative Bastard: He used his powers to earn people's faith for his own purposes until Akira beat him.
- Large and in Charge: In his cult, but not as big as Seitaka.
- Otaku: Nenbutsu Bancho is revealed to be one. In the Distant Epilogue, he even becomes a mangaka.
- Red Baron: Nenbutsu (Buddhist Prayer) Bancho.
- Sell Out: Tries to get people to follow his cult with little success.
- Villain with Good Publicity: As a bad guy, he uses his powers to earn a cult following.
- You Have Failed Me: See Kick the Dog for more details.
- Younger than They Look: Seriously, he does not look like he's in high school.
Haruka Kodama/Sasori Bancho
Five Dark Vows
A team of five Banchous who've united to take down Kongou Banchou.
Tropes Associated With The Five Dark Vows
Douke Bancho/ Yoruko and Asasko
Click here to see true form
- Bare Your Midriff: The real identities of Douke Bancho wear this.◊
- Blondes are Evil: Asako.
- Calling Your Attacks: Betrayer's Pain, Living Doll, and "Hide and Seek".
- Cool Mask: Two of them.
- Catch Phrase: "I hate serious people to death!"
- Conjoined Twins: Looks like this but turns out to be two separate women.
- Creepy Twins: The true identity of Douke Bancho.
- Dark Action Girl: Two of them.
- Evil Laugh: "Kukukuku" and "Ufufufuha", a clue that Douke's actually two people.
- Fanservice: Pretty rare, but Douke Bancho brings it out in spades.
- Fearful Symmetry: An interesting variation with Douke Bancho; Yoruko hides behind Asako and does everything exactly as she does, hiding her presence from the blinded Iai Bancho, and even the heroes, but not the villains who have a different perspective.
- Freudian Excuse: The fact that people paid no attention to their hard work and thus they went on to become gang members.
- Gag Boobs: Two sets of them, which results in a Nosebleed from Iai Bancho. To be fair, this is not the only contributing factor.
- Hollywood Voodoo: Betrayal's Pain seems to be this. It's actually a small discus
- Knife Nut: Uses a knife to injure Akira, and is primary weapon for them.
- Malevolent Masked Man: Actually masked women.
- Marionette Master: Living Doll.
- Monster Clown: Subverted. Turns out to be two stage magicians.
- Multiple Head Case: Turns out it's just two people disguised in one costume.
- Quirky Mini Boss Squad: As a member of the Five Dark Vows.
- Red Baron: Douke (Clown) Bancho.
- The Reveal: Not only that Douke is a girl, but actually two of them.
- Samus Is a Girl: Two actually, called Yoruko and Asako.
- Ship Tease: Yoruko with Kiryu. The Distant Epilogue even suggests they're Maybe Ever After.
- Single-Minded Twins: A variation; Yoruko and Asako had to train to gain the ability to invoke this at will.
- Stage Magician/ Lovely Assistant: The real identities of Douke Bancho.
- Walking Spoiler: Being two stage girls will do this for you.
- Villainous Harlequin: Subverted, turns out to be two stage magicians.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: The dark-haired, quiet Yoruko comes across like this, in contrast to the brash blonde Assako.
Kasauga Sora/Nenchaku Bancho
- Acrofatic: Except he's not.
- Animal Motif: Frog.
- Body Horror: Covers his body in slimy mucus, but even without it, he has an extremely long tongue.
- Bishonen Line: Played straight when he goes from the image above to this◊, but immediately defies it.◊
- Calling Your Attacks: Never Bind, Tallow Fossil, Tongue and Batou Kouron.
- Catch Phrase: "Eat bugs to survive!" and "Persistence!"
- Covered In Slime: It hides his true form, and he can manipulate it to harden around his opponent.
- Evil Laugh: "Dororo".
- Fat Bastard: Looks like one except he's not.
- Gonk: Turns out to be a disguise for a prettier boy form, only to be defied immediately afterwards.
- Insult Backfire: Tries to insult Raionji by calling him bald, only for the latter to grow hair instantly to prove him wrong.
- Humanoid Abomination: He emits enough mucus to cover himself, walks on all fours, and has a tongue that is freakishly long and razor-sharp, even when he's in his true cute form.
- Overly-Long Tongue: It can stretch three meters and is very sharp.
- Quirky Mini Boss Squad: Part of the Five Dark Vows.
- Red Baron: Nenchaku (Adhesion) Bancho.
- Running on All Fours: Sometimes.
- You Fight Like a Cow: What Batou Kouron amounts to.
Haruya Kaburagi/Kabuki Bancho
Komori Shizuka/Kangoku Bancho
Homuraya Ryougen/Bakunetsu Bancho
- Anime Hair: One that looks like it's on fire.
- Ax-Crazy: Due to his Hot-Blooded nature, he comes off as very psychotic.
- Big Bad: Of the Five Dark Vows arc.
- Black Eyes of Evil/ Red Eyes, Take Warning: His natural eye color.
- Blood Knight: Elated when Akira defeated his men, seeing him as a Worthy Opponent from then on.
- Catch Phrase: "Anyone who's not hot-blooded should die!"
- Calling Your Attacks: Heavy Burst Attack, Burning Barbarian Burst Attack and Direct Drop Burst Attack.
- Determinator: In keeping with his Hot-Blooded nature, he doesn't give up. Ever.
- Disney Death: Along with Akira. Even does the image in the sky parody before they return on the next page.
- Evil Counterpart: Akira's first one, along with Takeshi.
- Evil Laugh: "Fuhahahaha".
- Hair-Trigger Temper: As a result of being Hot-Blooded.
- Honor Before Reason: Bakunetsu Bancho's "reason" for saving everyone else after Kabuki Bancho activates the Self-Destruct Mechanism is because he couldn't call himself hot-blooded otherwise.
- In the final issue, Bakunetsu Banchou becomes a member of the Japanese government, and he has been causing quite a lot of commotion. He's made good on his promise to inject Japan with hot-blooded spirit.
- Hot-Blooded: He shouts everything and goes full-throttle into everything he does.
- Having a Blast: Most of his techniques involve gunpowder, resulting in explosions.
- Large Ham: Due to his No Indoor Voice.
- No Indoor Voice: Shouts everything he says.
- Made of Iron: Not even a state-of-the-art missile can harm him.
- Playing with Fire: Uses gunpowder to cause fiery explosions.
- Quirky Mini Boss Squad: Along with Kangoku Bancho, he has the quirkiest traits among the Five Dark Vows. He also has a Terrible Trio version under him called the "3 Enjou Brothers".
- Red Baron: Bakunetsu (Heart Burst) Bancho.
- Super Strength: Almost as strong as Akira's.
Harito Takaradzuka/Shirobara Bancho
- Back from the Dead: Due to nano-machines.
- Badass Bookworm: Looks like one, anyway.
- Bishōnen: Don't let that fool you; he's very dangerous.
- Calling Your Attacks: Lightning Fist, Double Lightning Fist, Solid Screw, Riot Piercer, Assault Fist, Riot Hold, Crisis Cannon and Punishment Bolt.
- Creepy Monotone: Complete with Robo Speak.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Dishes these out regularly to the remaining Banchos of the 23 project, the Bancho Alliance, and Kongoh Bancho.
- Gets one from Akira after being defeated.
- Deceptively Human Robots: Looks normal even by this series' standards, but is actually a robot.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: In Tsukime's.
- The Dragon: To Dr. Kagimiya.
- Evil Albino: Has white hair and red eyes.
- Healing Factor: Due to nano-machines.
- Hero Killer: Briefly kills Akira, as well as defeating several other Bancho.
- Handicapped Badass: Annihilates the Bancho alliance with only one arm, since the other was torn off by Yuu.
- Hollywood Cyborg: Looks very human, but is a cold, logical machine obeying his master. At first, anyway.
- Killer Robot: Designed this way by his master.
- Knight of Cerebus: Kills Akira once and the story gets darker from there.
- Implacable Man: Nothing except Yuu and Akira's moves could harm him.
- In Their Own Image: Built to resemble his creator, Dr. Kagimiya.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Machine Bancho seems to be suffering from this, but it would be justified since he's, well, a machine.
- Morality Pet: Dr. Tsukina before she died, and later Tsukime.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Does this to Akira and kills him in the end.
- One-Man Army: Just look at what he did to the Bancho Alliance.
- Our Robots are Non-standard: Well, not only looking the most normal out of all the Bancho except for his hair and eye color, he learns to have emotions by the end of his character arc.
- Pet the Dog: Saves a cat from horrible weather.
- Perpetual Frowner: Due to not having emotions.
- Quirky Mini Boss Squad: The Proto Pawns, created by his master.
- Red Baron: Machine Bancho.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Especially after his Villainous Breakdown.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: When coming to grips with the value of life.
- Rocket Boots: Uses them for his Crisis Cannon attack.
- Rocket Fist: Complete with wire connecting it to his arm to retract it, the Lightning Fist.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Sometimes.
- Shock and Awe: Riot Piercer and Punishment Bolt.
- The Stoic: Being a cyborg, he comes across as this.
- This Is a Drill: Solid Screw.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth: Died right after admitting he's a nice person.
- Tragic Monster: Oh, so very much.
- Villainous BSOD: Initially from pondering whether killing is right or not.
- Villainous Breakdown: When the realization of Tsukime and Dr. Kagimiya's desires contradict one another, leading to
"I'M A BATTLE MACHINE"!!
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?: His character arc involves coming to learn about emotions before his demise.
- The Worf Effect: Does this to the Bancho Alliance.
- Younger than They Look: He looks like a teenager, but his mindset is that of a child—plus the implications that he was built recently.
Mikio Makishima/Dokusen Bancho
Arashi Kodai/Kyouryuu Bancho
Zakuro Hariyama/Kyokumon Bancho
Anga Darutani/Shageki Bancho
- Affably Evil: Creepy and genuinely polite at the same time.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He seems to be a person who gets excited very easily, and when he gets too wound up, he recklessly spreads his seeds with complete disregard for those around him, although he does apologize after he calms down.
- Calling Your Attacks: Housenka (Flash of Flower Cannon).
- Green Thumb: Uses his great knowledge of plants to create his poisonous weeds and flowers.
- Poisonous Person: Via poisonous flowers.
- Red Baron: Hanasaka (Blooming Flower) Bancho.
- The Worf Effect: Along with the rest of the Wolf Pack by Kenpei Bancho.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Gets very little development before Kenpei Bancho comes along.
Kyouya Shiga/Ourou Bancho