Characters / The Kongoh Family
Tropes Associated With The Kongoh Family
- Badass Family: Even the Teen Idol sister is Badass.
- The Big Guy: Most of them.
- Half-Human Hybrid: All of the Kongoh children are all half human and half Kongoh.
- Healing Factor: Kongoh is implied to have one of these, as other characters get beaten up and they take a while to heal. Oyanana even got Put on a Bus he was beaten so badly at one point, whereas Kongoh treats getting hit by a truck as only a flesh wound, and even recovers from it by the end of the battle.
- After it is revealed that the Kongoh is a species separate from humans and other mammals, this is soon explicitly stated to be part of the Kongoh genes by Hakai Bancho, who was created from them, as he immediately reconnects his severed arm.
- Horned Humanoid: Turns out their Anime Hair is due to their pointed skulls, as revealed by Kai Kongoh.
- Rai and Soara are exceptions to this.
- I Have Many Names: The Kongoh family have been called Daiyoukai, titans and giants, in the past.
- Large and in Charge: All of the males are this, but especially Homura.
- Non-Standard Character Design: The Kongoh men are drawn in a much more serious style than the rest of the characters.
- Not Even Human: All of them are actually a race of gigantic beings that have lived since the time of the dinosaurs. In fact, they are defined as their own class separate from the basic animal classes.
- Our Giants Are Bigger: Homura, In truth, all of them can do this, but need enhancements to unlock this potential.
- Super Strength: All of them, to varying degrees.
- Super Toughness: They can harden their bodies to the consistency of lead, this makes their skin darken in color.
- Ultimate Life Form: Explicitly described as this, once the truth was revealed.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Their moves are very much like wrestling finishers, especially Akira's.
The titular Bancho, Akira's quest is to take down the government's 23 District plan. Always ready to stick up for a friend and therefore stick to his principles, over the course of the series he accumulates a group of friends to help in his plot.
- Anime Hair: And he's not the worse offender, believe it or not.
- Though it turns out that his skull is shaped like that, not just his hair.
- Animal Motif: Gorilla.
- Badass: Bancho is pretty much synonymous with "badass" in this series.
- Big Brother Instinct: Initially with Tsukimi, later to Rai. And literally to Soara, his idol sister, whom he defends at her concert.
- The Big Guy: The first one in the series.
- Calling Your Attacks: Several, but the most notable one is the Double Hammer.
- Meteo Drive, Face Crush, Wild Trailer, Diamond Circle.
- Catch Phrase: "Like I care!"
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Akira has plenty of these, such as his Megaton Punch, being Made of Iron, and his Walking On Water, which can hardly be Justified by his being a towering mass of muscle... and then we see his father and realize he's Not Quite Human.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Akira can't help being the hero at almost all times.
- The Comically Serious: With his grim face, whenever he says something ridiculous, the effect is doubled.
- Defeat Equals Friendship: All of his True Companions are people he defeated previously.
- Delinquent: Averted. He constantly asserts that being a bancho doesn't mean being a delinquent.
- Determinator: There is literally nothing on Earth that will stop this guy. Including dying.
- Disney Death: Twice. First was played for laughs and the second was much more serious.
- Face of a Thug: Intensely thuggish.
- Gentle Giant: see Nice Guy below.
- Good Is Old-Fashioned: Very much so. He doesn't know how to use a cell phone, let alone email, and has some very traditional codes of behavior.
- The Hero Dies: Kongoh gets killed by Machine Bancho. There's been no evidence that he could get better, although he later does.
- Horned Humanoid: Turns out his Anime Hair is actually due to the shape of his skull.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Scolds his teammates, but cares for them deeply.
- Killed Off for Real: Briefly by Machine Bancho
- Made of Iron: Not even a state-of-the-art robot that killed him briefly can keep him down for long.
- Messianic Archetype: Aims to stop the Districts project, and by the end, he's become a true savior.
- Nice Guy: Despite his appearance, Akira is a nice guy who help out strangers when he is not on his mission.
- Not Even Human: Akira is actually one of a race of giants called the Kongoh who all have elongated skulls and world-shattering strength.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Has an intense love of pudding.
- Red Baron: Kongoh (Diamond) Bancho.
- The Stoic: Rarely changes his expression to something more light-hearted.
- Super Mode: Violent Mode and Giant Mode.
- Superpowered Evil Side: Briefly.
- Super Strength: To ridiculous levels, his first act of this in the manga is to lift a car with one arm, carrying it into an enemy hideout and then curb-stomping their boss while still holding that car. It only gets crazier from there.
- Took a Level in Badass: Once by death and again by scientific injection.