Characters: Super Mario Bros.
A list of characters and tropes associated with Nintendo
's biggest franchise, Super Mario Bros.
, including all the numerous spinoffs and side games.
RPGsOther SpinoffsShared Universe
Canon Foreigners (that have not appeared in video games at all)
Appeared in the Donkey Kong Jr.
segments of Saturday Supercade
Tropes associated with Bones:
A talking dog who traveled with the Mario Bros. in The Great Mission to Save Princess Peach
. It turned out he was Haru-ōji, a prince from a neighboring kingdom whom Bowser had turned into a dog because he owned the other brooch, signifying that he is destined to be with Peach.
Tropes associated with Kibidango:
"Excuse me, everybody! I just closed the peanut butter jar on my tie. Can somebody help me?"
Princess Peach's dim-witted father, who is mentioned in the English version of the instruction book for the original Super Mario Bros.
, but never seen in the games. He does appear in the Valiant comics as well as the Nintendo Adventure Books
Tropes associated with the Mushroom King:
- The Ditz
- Lampshaded in "Duh Stoopid Bomb!", where said weapon has no effect on the king because he's already as stupid as he can get.
- Pointy-Haired Boss
The "royal mushroom assistant" (contrasting Toad's job as the "royal mushroom retainer), which unfortunately means he does just about everything for the king rather than the princess.
Tropes associated with Wooster:
Stanley the Talking Fish
A pink talking fish
wearing a gaudy bow tie who shows up in a few of the Valiant Mario comics. Resented in-universe for generally being a huge pain in the tail for everyone he decides to address.
Tropes associated with Stanley:
- Casanova Wannabe: The other reason why few can stand him. At least twice, he's in two relationships at the same time.
- Interspecies Romance: His first appearance has a cross KINGDOM relationship, with Stanley being in love with a talking bush. He later has the hots for a jellyfish and Wendy as well. He does seem to end up with Bertha, though, who is a fish.
- Karma Houdini: For all the problems he's caused, his last appearance has him in a relationship. That was helped along by him playing Wendy as the one coming on to him when he was the one who was hitting on her.
- Pair the Spares: Invoked, Stanley tries to set Mario up with Bertha so he can get her out of his
hair fins and spend time with a new girlfriend. Hilarity Ensues
- The Scrappy: In-universe. To the point where Mario and Wendy call a truce to say "mean and nasty things" about him after Wendy has a run-in with him.
- Spanner in the Works: Every appearance. The main reason why he's so hated in-universe.
Appeared in the Game Boy
A blond caveboy who appeared in the Super Mario World
Tropes associated with Oogtar:
Appeared in the Super Mario Adventures
Tropes associated with Friendly Floyd: