open/close all folders
Hunter SteeleThe excitable Hero, who gets transported to the Inner World, something he takes extremely well, all things considered. Impulsive and sometimes irritating, however his boundless enthusiasm can be an asset.
- Anime Hair: Of the blistering pink variety.
- Bad Bad Acting: Hunter's performance during the play about the hero Quake, poor Hunter got so nervous his speech turned monotone.
- Big Eater
- Deadpan Snarker: Occasionally, course he's not nearly as bad as Shadow."(to Shadow) Yes mother."
- Ditzy Genius: Hunter has very little in the way of common sense, but he's shown himself to be both surprisingly perceptive of others, and extremely proficient when it comes to making strategies in the heat of battle.
- Fearless Fool: He was one at the start of the series, but he displays true courage when trying to protect the people of Nuuma from Stags, allowing him to access to the third Oracle Keys powers.
- Magnetic Hero: The Spider Riders would fall apart without him. It also makes him something of The Heart
- Nice Guy
- Oblivious to Love: Hunter has not one, not two but possibly three girls after him.
- Turn the Other Cheek: Is willing to forgive anybody and give them a Second Chance: Grasshop, Buguese, Beerain, Stags, and Mantid.
- Verbal Tic: "Arachna Power!" while "Never Give Up!" is more like his Catch Phrase. In the Japanese, it's "Kekka Orai" (It's alright)
CoronaCorona, the first person Hunter encounters in the Inner World. She provides invaluable help to him from the start. She's often very unsure of herself,and she's constantly worried about Hunter. She will often go to almost any length to know that he's safe, a real Action Girlfriend.
- Action Girl: Sometimes she wishes she weren't.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Has a massive crush on Hunter. He's the only one not to notice, at least until the finale apparently.
- Berserk Button: You should never insult her cooking.
- Beware the Nice Ones
- I Just Want to Be Normal: She says this a lot in one episode were she's grown weary of the war. It comes up now and again.
- Insecure Love Interest: She always has trouble when trying to talk to Hunter about her feelings for him.
- Large Ham: Corona is a fine actress, but can over do it during the dramatic scenes.
- Lethal Chef
- Long-Range Fighter: Type 3 as she can blast away any frontal assaults with her arrows.
- Ship Tease: She gets teased to hell and back again with Hunter, even by the other characters.
- Tomboyish Ponytail
IgneousIgneous is one of Arachnas's greatest knights. Together, with his old friend Grey/Slate, they make up the Claw and Fang of Arachna. He puts a lot of pride in protecting his kingdom, as well as the prince and princess. While Igneous can be serious to a fault, he's also completely hopeless when it comes to love, and hairstyleing!
- Big Brother Mentor: He's like this for Hunter after they first meet.
- Chick Magnet: He even has his own fan club, until he went to Nuuma and all of his fans found boyfriends. Ouch!
- The Comically Serious: Igneous is ostensibly serious, composed and dignified. But can act silly when put into the right kind of situations.
- Doting Parent: He's so gentle and kind towards Sparkle it's easy to forget that he's a total badass when it comes to fighting.
- Straight Man: Especially while paired with Prince Lumen.
- Supporting Leader
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: Igneous gets quite upset when people bring up ghosts, and is heartbroken when he discovers Queen Illuma/Elma is currently in love with her royal page.
- Team Dad
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
MagmaMagma was originally a wanderer, but later became a full-fledged Spider Rider. He despises the Insectors/Invectids, due to the fact that they killed his family, and that his spider's sister is under their control. His favorite thing in life is the hero Quake. He can also be very calm and laid back.
- Badass Normal: Magma's one of the series strongest humans, even without his spider rider armor.
- Fanguy: For the hero Quake complete with Manly Tears of happiness.
- Genre Savvy: He's savvy enough to notice right away that Corona likes Hunter.
- The Big Guy: Mamga's the strongman of the team.
- The Lancer
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Proved himself physically strongest of the riders in his first appearance. Later this achievement is usually glossed over when compared to Hunter when he gets powered up by the Oracle key's.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: "I will find Portia! That's a promise."
- Shipper on Deck: He knows Corona likes Hunter and appears to try and help her get his attention.
LumenLumen is the prince of Arachna, though you wouldn't know it by looking at him. He's incredibly lazy and likes to sleep, not to mention a total flirt. He's also very protective of Sparkle and jealous of anyone that impresses her.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: It doesn't seem to bother Lumen that most of the time nobody takes him or his skills seriously. In fact, he seems to prefer it when people don't take him seriously.
- Brother-Sister Team: He and Sparkle rarely fight together, but when they do they are a formidable pair.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer
- Chivalrous Pervert: Lumen can't go a day without asking a pretty girl for a date. You'd think a prince wouldn't have such a big strike-out record.
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Not as violent as most.
- Non Chalant Dodge: Lumen once spent almost an entire fight doing nothing but dodging. And it was ''very'' awesome.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Though it can be hard to tell at times.
- Warrior Prince
SparkleShe is the princess of Arachna and the youngest Rider. Often shielded and protected, which she hates. She's very brave and wants to be able to fight like the other riders.
- Badass Adorable: Princess Sparkle can hold her own in a fight, despite only being 8 to 9 years old.
- Badass Princess
- Cheerful Child
- Cute Bruiser
- Dangerously Short Skirt: She's a little Lady of War who's combat outfit is a short minidress miniskirt combo.
- Friend to All Living Things: Sparkle has an amazing tendency befriend even Insectors/Invectids like Grasshop and Beerain.
- Killer Yoyo: Her signature weapon in battle.
- Naïve Everygirl: Subverted. Sparkle is sweet, kind and gentle, but tries her best to hold her own in battle.
- Plucky Girl: Sparkle can't seem to go a day without smiling.
- Tagalong Kid: Sparkle went to great lengths to follow the Spider Riders to Nuuma.
AquneAqune is a Spider Rider in the Insector's/Invectid's service. She was taken in by Buguese when she was young. She willingly uses her powers to help restore the Insector's/Invectid's sun, but dislikes fighting. Therefore, she's controlled by a mask in order to fight against the Spider Riders. Aqune cares for Hunter a lot, much to Corona's dismay.
- Anti-Villain: Type IV.
- Cursed with Awesome: It's easy to tell she doesn't always enjoy her responsibilities.
- Easy Amnesia: Averted. It's never really explained how she and Corona got their amnesia. Though it likely had something to do with them falling from an attacked airship
- The Dragon: The Insectors/Invectids consider her their secret weapon. Which is completely understandable when you see her in action.
- Friend to All Living Things: She once had to emphasize to Hunter that it is her duty to help all living things, including the Insectors/Invectids.
- Yamato Nadeshiko
- The Quiet One
- Sixth Ranger: More like the eighth.
- Tomboyish Sidetails: They're actually ribbons attached to earrings, but because they're very nearly the same color as her hair, they give visually the same effect.
ShadowHunter's spider partner, a prideful warrior who thinks he doesn't need help from anyone. He hates crowds.
- Deadpan Snarker: Well duuuhhhh.
- Fire-Forged Friends: How he and Hunter eventually become friends.
- Hero Harasses Helpers: When they first meet, Shadow is a complete jerk towards Hunter, there conversations often led to Shadow saying, I Work Alone
- Not So Above It All: Shadow often acts put out by Hunter's antics, but it doesn't take much for Hunter to persuade him into taking part in something trivial or silly.
- Reckless Sidekick: Sometimes Shadow would rush into a situation before Hunter could. Which makes him a bit of a hypocrit when he calls Hunter into danger.
- Weaponized Animal: Moreso than the other spiders, thanks to the power of the Oracle Keys.
VenusCorona's battle spider partner. She is soft-spoken and polite, but is also a fearless fighter.
- Cool Big Sis: Venus often encourages Corona to relax and have fun during their off hours.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Venus is the pink girl, to Shadow's blue boy.
- Token Romance
FlameIgneous' battle spider, has the ability to shoot webs made out of fire. He never speaks... ever.
- Flat Character: Admittedly all of the spiders suffer from this from time to time but come on, THE GUY NEVER SPEAKS!!!
- Fire-Breathing Weapon: His webs.
- Satellite Character: At least compared to most of the characters, though to be fair almost all of the spiders suffer from this.
BrutusMagma's battle spider, has tremendous strength, and is looking for his long lost sister, Portia.
- Bit Character: Other than looking for his sister, he doesn't do much for the plot.
- Mandatory Line: "Right!" seems to be about the only thing he ever says.
EbonyLumen's battle spider. Said to be very powerful and destructive. Lumen doesn't call him out much, for fear of accidentally hurting someone.
- Hidden Depths: He finally talks (much to everyone's shock and amazement) to persuade Lumen into taking Sparkle into battle.
HotarlaSparkle's battle spider. Unlike the other spiders, she's practically still a baby.
- Gentle Giant: Not as big as the other spiders, but she still counts.
PortiaAqune's battle spider. She is Brutus's missing little sister. Like Aqune, Portia wears a mask that controls her.
MantidLord Mantid is a mantis-type Insector/Invectid, he directs the Insector/Invectid troops to remove the wasteful and hated humans from the Inner World and find the Oracle Keys. He needs the Oracle Keys to sustain himself. Eventually Mantid reveals that he was an Earthen once, a chosen warrior of the Oracle, pulled into the Inner World. His reason for taking the Oracle's power is revenge upon the Inner World and the Oracle herself.
- Big Bad
- Break the Cutie: In his backstory, when after he fought for the Oracle for years. He lost all his friends and commrades, and finally his love.
- Broken Messiah: Once was one of the Oracle's chosen warriors, now a rampaging psychopath.
- The Chessmaster
- Evil Laugh: Done way way way WAY to much.
- Face–Heel Turn: Took place long before the series even began.
- It's All About Me: Beerain discovered that all he really cares about is getting his revenge.
- Laughing Mad
- Love Makes You Crazy and Evil
- Manipulative Bastard
- Not So Different: He tries this on Hunter twice.
- One-Winged Angel: His Oracle key powered transformation.
- Redemption Earns Life: Hunter not only spears Mantids' life, he asks Mantid to let him help and Mantid is able to make a Heel–Face Turn.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: He tells everyone the real reason he wants the key's is because he wants revenge on the Oracle for all the pain and loss he's endured over the years.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: He loses the love of his life in war; it's implied that he lost many friends the same way; and perhaps even his Battle Spider as well, which makes sense because since we never get to see it. With all that, it's no wonder the guy went off the deep end.
Larva P. GrasshopMember of the Big Four, he is a grasshopper-type Insector/Invectid who uses gadgets and devices to defeat enemies. He doesn't really like to fight the Riders; letting his minions do the fighting for him instead.
- All of the Other Reindeer: How he feel's about being in the Big Four. It doesn't help that the other members agree with the sentiment.
- Affably Evil: at first anyway.
- Butt Monkey: Whenever something goes wrong, even if it has nothing to do with him. He's usually the one to get punished.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Dirty Coward: Before his Heel–Face Turn.
- Lovable Coward
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: Ridiculous he may be, but he is actually a very cunning strategist. Not to mention his intense battling in the finale shows that there's a pretty good reason he was allowed to join the Big Four in the first place.
- Token Heroic Orc
- You Can't Go Home Again: He assumes this once he's officially kicked out of the Big Four. Pretty much happens for real later, after he throws in his lot with the humans. At least until the finale anyway.
BugueseMantid's right hand man, with many plans to defeat the Spider Riders. He is the leader of the Big Four. He also despises the Oracle. Buguese claims to care little for his comrades, but he has shown respect for Stags, and concern for Aqune, whom he is mentor to and Beerain.
- Aloof Ally: He claims and to a degree even believes he's this towards the rest of the Big Four. As it turns out he really does care about them like True Companions.
- Authority Equals Ass Kicking: He may not always act like it but there's a really good reason why he's the leader of the Big Four.
- Doting Parent: He tries to hide it but it's obvious that's how he feels towards Aqune, if you interpret the relationship in a platonic matter.
- The Dragon: To Matnid.
- Four Is Death: Leader of THE Big Four.
- Horrible Judge of Character: The ease with which he allowed himself to be manipulated by Mantid is astonishing. Most notably, assuming he can beat Mantid with the weapon Mantid handed to him.
- I Did What I Had to Do
- Jerk Ass
- Perpetual Frowner
- Troubled, but Cute: This seems to be a factor to his popularity with the ladies.
BeerainShe is a bee-type Insector/Invectid who uses a whip to fight. She is a member of the Big Four and commands the Buzzrays. While she can be charming when it suits her, she has no regard for honor and thinks winning is everything.
- Action Girl: She has some signs of this, but most of the time she just summons buzzrays, and she always loses when she actually fights by herself.
- All Love Is Unrequited: Has a massive crush on Buguese.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- The Exile: Buguese refuses to listen to her reason for why Mantid attacked her and leaves her in the custody of the Spider Riders.
- Love Hurts: Specially when the person you love throws his sword at you to shut you up.
- Manipulative Bastard: She took lessons from Mantid.
- The Smurfette Principle: Only female member of the Big Four.
- Traumatic Haircut: Some of her long hair gets cut off by Mantid when he catches her spying on one of his rants. Thankfully she got away before he cut more than a few strands.
StagsHe is a stag beetle-type Insector/Invectid who is very powerful and very loyal to the Invectid cause. He wields a short Zanbato. He is considered by many as the most powerful of the Big Four. He has a strong sense of honor, and cannot stand when it is disrespected.
- Badass: He's regarded as the strongest of the Big Four, and he more than lives up to it.
- Back for the Finale: Only Beerain knew of his survival after his second fight with Hunter and Shadow. He didn't appear again until the final episodes of the series.
- BFS: It's about as big as he is.
- Blood Knight: Pretty obvious from his attitude in his introductory episode.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Trying to fight him without an Oracle Key always ends in this.
- Heel–Face Turn
- Honor Before Reason: During a duel with Hunter Grasshop manages to steal the Oracle Key from him. What does Stags do? He hits Grasshop and gives the key back to Hunter.
- Lightning Bruiser
- Proud Warrior Race Guy
- Put on a Bus: After the invasion of Nuuma, he has a talk with Beerain before she heads back to the Insectors/Invectids. After that he's not seen again for over five episodes.
- The Bus Came Back: He returns from his long absence to help Buguese and Beerain get the two remaining Oracle Key's to Hunter.
- The Coats Are Off: Likes to dramatically take off his cape before fighting.
- The Stoic: The most stoic of all the Big Four.
LilyFortuneteller Lily is Arachna's cheif fortuneteller. She often looks into her crystal ball looking for bad omens.
- Crystal Ball
- Foreshadowing: Hints that Hunter will actually destroy the Inner World rather than save it, which he never does, but Mantid (also an Earthen) almost accomplishes.
- I Sense a Disturbance in the Force: "A bad omen..."
- Red Herring: In her first appearance she appears to imply that Hunter will bring about the end of the Inner World. However, she doesn't bring this revelation up again.
Quake/BradeBetter known as The Hero Quake, a legendary Spider Rider who saved the Inner World many times in the past.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Badass Grandpa
- Big Damn Hero: Saves Hunter from making the terrible mistake of handing over the Oracle Key's to Mantid in exchange for peace.
- Badass Pacifist: He created a technique that takes away a persons desire to fight.
- Dirty Old Man: He tries to flirt with Corona and Aqune, thankfully it appears this is mostly just to tease Hunter.
- Perhaps in the dub, where certain scenes were cut out. It did not seem like teasing in the Japanese version.
- Eccentric Mentor: Of the Wax On, Wax Off variety.
- Heroic Willpower: His will was apparently strong enough to keep him from crossing over after he died fighting Mantid before until he Set Right What Once Went Wrong.
- I Was Quite a Looker: Turns out he's telling the truth about that.
DaggerBrade/Quake's battle spider. He is said to be a the strongest of all spiders.
- Informed Ability: Dagger is a legendary spider warrior who is supposedly the strongest battle spider ever. Yet, we never get to see him go all out.
- Last Episode, New Character
Slate/GreyIgneous' best friend, and a loyal Arachnan knight. Sometimes helps the Riders in their battles.
- The Ace: Easily one of the most powerful normal humans in Arachna. The only reason the Spider Riers left for Nuuma was because they left him as there replacement, to replace the entire spider riders team!
- Back-to-Back Badasses: There's a very good reason he and Igneous are know as the Fang and Claw of Arachna.
- Bash Brothers: With Igneous.
- Friendly Rivalry: He and Igneous often enjoyed friendly duels when they were younger. Neither one could ever beat the other.
- Red Baron: He and Igneous are the famous "Fang and Claw of Arachna".
Queen Illuma/ElmaThe Queen of the kingdom of Nuuma. She knew Corona and Aqune when they were younger and revealed their Mysterious Past.
- The Good Chancellor: Queen, actually.
- Only Sane Man: She seems to be the only one to realize the fact that the Spider Riders being Child Soldiers isn't necessarily a good thing.
- Reasonable Authority Figure
OracleThe Oracle is a beautiful woman, who united humans and spiders. Hunter first saw her when he fell down into the Inner World. She is considered the goddess of the Inner World. Little is known about her.
- Angelic Beauty
- Allergic to Evil: Destroying something made in her honor or using her power to kill causes her pain. But she can fight back with -
- The Bigger Good
- Cue the Sun: She created the Inner World's Sun. You know whenever it shines, shes feeling fine.
- Good Hurts Evil: She can cause pain to anyone who is trying to use her power to unjustly harm another.
- Light Is Good
- Minor Major Character