Characters / Smile For The Camera Monster Mashers
STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION. FEEL FREE TO CONTRIBUTE.
The Monster Mashers are a group of monster hunters and the cast of the Reality show
of the same name. As a group of D-list celebrities, the Monster Mashers intend to both keep the world safe from dangerous supernatural creatures while documenting their adventures to boost their show's ratings.
Tropes relating to the team in general:
- Badass: Fighting supernatural monsters for a living, this is almost a requirement.
- The Hunter: All of them technically fall under this category, though most of them are more lighthearted examples.
- Punny Name: Named after the song Monster Mash by Bobby "Boris" Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Straddles the line between this and Badass Crew.
- To Be a Master: In addition to keeping humanity safe, many of the monster hunters are motivated by the fame and status obtained from their position, having several other monster hunting reality shows to compete with.
Joel J. Jones Jr.
One of the founding members of Monster Mashers and the descendant of a long line of monster hunters. Joel is something of a gruff, sarcastic individual, but it's pretty clear that he considers his fellow monster hunters to be his True Companions
. Something of a generic guy
compared to his more colorful teammates, but still has a distinctive personality and abilities. Never seen without his necklace, containing the tooth of some unknown creature defeated by one of his ancestors.
- The Ace: Zigzagged; he's a renowned monster hunter from a huge family of renowned monster hunters, but he repeatedly claims that fighting monsters is just about the only thing he's good at, and if it weren't for his paycheck from the Monster Mashers TV show he'd be broke and living on the street.
- Alliterative Name: Taken to the extreme.
- Animal Motifs: Word Of God likens Joel to a lion.
- Badass Normal: Most of the time.
- Beast Man: With Jason's Animal card equipped.
- Big Brother Mentor: Tries to be this to Jason, with varying levels of success.
- Big Eater
- Blood Knight: Of the Worthy Opponent variety.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: Surprisingly good at holding off monsters even when unarmed, and practically Made of Iron to boot.
- Deadpan Snarker: Or at least he tries to be. Most of his "snarking" tends to fall flat, however.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Gets incredibly flustered whenever he's around Clarissa.
- Dying Moment of Awesome: Lampshads this with some of his final words, saying that he always wanted to die heroically.
- Fingerless Gloves
- Generation Xerox: Comes from a long generation of monster hunters.
- Guns Akimbo: When he's not simply beating up monsters with his bare hands.
- Heroic BSOD: Goes into one following Frankie's near-death at the hands of War.
- Heroic Second Wind: Happens during his fight with Lord Famine. And then he dies.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: How he sees himself.
- Memento Macguffin: His necklace.
- Messianic Archetype: Keeping with the story's Biblical motifs, his death inspires the world to stay hopeful, and he appears to Frankie when the end of the world is underway.
- Power Fist: Jason's Super Arm card.
- Sacrificial Lion
- Technical Pacifist: His firearms are usually loaded with tranquilizers to avoid having to kill whatever he's fighting, but he's not above using real bullets whenever he deems it necessary.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Seems extremely focused on living up to his family legacy, even if it means risking his loife in the process.
- The Worf Effect: Double subverted in the fight against Lady War: she manages to knock him out rather early on in the fight, only for him to regain conciousness in time to defeat her. Though it was implied that she let him win to further her own plans.
- Worthy Opponent: To nearly everyone (and everything) he ends up picking a fight with.
- Western Zodiac: Taurus.
William T. Wolfgang II
A werewolf, abandoned by his parents in the woods and literally raised by wolves. Despite his brutish demeanor, he's actually quite intelligent, but his temper and lack of impulse control usually hinders his ability to make logical decisions. Has something of a friendly rivalry with Joel.
- Alliterative Name
- Badass Bookworm: See below.
- The Big Guy
- Badass in a Nice Suit: After all, he is an executive for a company.
- Deadpan Snarker: During his mission the Shadow Hackers, and generally whenever he's around Portia.
- Genius Ditz and Genius Bruiser: As mentioned above, he has the potential to be one of the smartest members of Monster Mashers, but usually opts for brute force instead.
- According to his bio, his previous job before joining MM was a computer programmer.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: At least he admits that it's something he needs to work on.
- Honest Corporate Executive: Before he quit his company.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Denies being this while inspecting an Abandoned Hospital with Frankie and Jason, before immediately attacking everything suspicious they come accross.
- One Steve Limit: Averted with him and fellow Monster Masher William Francois Nancy, aka Frankie.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: He doesn't transform, instead being in the constant state of being a wolf/man hybrid, causing his parents to disown him due to his freakish appearance. Also, he claims to be unaffected by silver.
- Parental Abandonment
- Pop-Cultured Badass
- Raised by Wolves
- Shout-Out: A big, hairy, animalistic creature who also happens to be a Genius Bruiser? Are we talking about William or Beast?
- Super Senses: All part and parcel of being a werewolf.
- Werewolf Theme Naming
- Western Zodiac: Gemini.
William Francois Nancy (aka "Frankie")
A large, humanoid spider and self-proclaimed ladies' man. Frankie is something of a trickster, often pulling pranks on both his opponents and teammates alike for little more than his own personal amusement. That aside, he's still a valuable member of the team and a rather sophisticated fellow. He also may or may not be the legendary Anansi of African folklore.
- Ambiguously Human: We know he's not, but most of the time he looks enough like a human that he's able to pass as one.
- Bilingual Bonus: Tends to slip into Swahili when he's distraught (or drunk).
- Casanova Wannabe: His track record with the ladies is not quite as successful as he claims it is.
- Cool Old Guy: According to his bio, Frankie is apparently somewhere around 76 years old, though it's implied that that's just a rough estimate.
- Cultured Badass: Probably the most sophisticated member of the Monster Mashers crew, when he's not trolling people for laughs.
- Demoted to Extra: After he was put into the hospital after the Lady War incident, we haven't seen much of him.
- Dirty Old Man: Averted. He's actually quite the gentleman.
- Giant Spider
- Leeroy Jenkins: Unlike the other William, however, Frankie actively embraces his role as a "Leeroy", gleefully rushing into danger at the first opportunity.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Though he's capable of hiding all but two of his arms when not using him, he's usually this in combat.
- One Steve Limit: Averted between him and the other William (see above), but he usually goes by his middle name to avoid any confusion.
- Russian Naming Convention: Frankie isn't Russian, but whether he is referred to as William, Frankie or Francois in text is highly dependent on the situation and his mindset. Frankie is the most common one, while Francois is reserved for the ladies, and when its time to break out the first name, things have just gotten REAL.
- Super Senses: He's able to use the hairs on his arms to detect things around him, even referring to it as his "Spider Sense".
- Trickster Archetype
- Troll: Especially around his more serious teammates like Naredlek.
Once an ordinary man, Malachi ended up being cursed into becoming a Jiang Shi
after a run-in with a drunken wizard during a trip to China. Despite his rather difficult life, Malachi remains an eternal optimist, always trying to cheer up his fellow Monster Mashers in times of distress. Unfortunately for them, he's really bad at doing this.
Albus is an Ent, and the former guardian of a forest until it was destroyed, which also resulted in the deaths of most of his family. Now working as a monster hunter, Albus is wise, polite, and overall more level-headed than most of his teammates, though just as capable of holding his own in a fight.
Another one of Monster Mashers' verteran members, Dyana is also the owner and operator of a ranch where she looks after various monsters, many of which she captured during her time on the show. Loud, energetic and excitable, Dyana often goes into battle with the help of a few of her pet monsters, which she is able to summon with the use of a set of cards.
A mysterious figure of unknown origin and species. The Operator is quiet, enigmatic, and a little bit unsettling, but still a contributor to the Monster Mashers, if not exactly a "team player". Appears to be at least a little bit skilled in magic.
An ork. Got his name from the obsidian mask permanently fused to the top half of his face. Formerly a notorious pirate before joining the Monster Mashers, Torgrot is about as violent and trigger-happy as you'd expect an ork to be, though he's actually quite reserved compared to most members of his species.
Having many other failed careers under her belt, Clarissa eventually decided to join Monster Mashers, hoping it would be her ticket to stardom. Being able to coast off her good looks for most of her life, Clarissa doesn't have much of a work ethic, but still proves to be just as effective at slaying monsters as the next person...perhaps even more so.
One of the more inexperienced members of the Monster Mashers group, Jason is a 15-year-old Kid Hero
armed with a "Card Reader", and a set of possibly-magic cards with a diverse variety of effects. Having little fighting prowess himself, Jason usually stays away from the front line, preferring to use his cards to provide assistance for his teammates. As such, he has a suitably meek personality to match, but still strives to contribute to the team whenever he can.
Portia N Tesla
but somewhat competent attractive scientist
. Who joined Monster Mashers for scientific appeal of it. She's also pretty skilled in the chemistry and inventing, along with being friends with Clarissa.
More to come!