open/close all folders
Introduced in Phantasy Star Universe
Ethan WaberThe Main Character of Universe. Lumia's older brother and member of the GUARDIANS Mobile Defense Unit.
Karen ErraA female Newman and GUARDIANS instructor. She is assigned to oversee the training of Ethan and Hyuga when they enter the GUARDIANS. Strangely for a Newman, she is unable to use TECHNICs. She is actually the estranged twin sister of the Divine Maiden, and had her aptitude for TECHNICs forcefully drained by her father to increase the power of Mirei's. When Mirei is later killed, Karen is forced to assume the role of the Divine Maiden to avert a panic.
- Badass Normal: Since she is incapable of using TECHNI Cs, she relies on her expertise with guns and melee weapons to get through the mission.
Hyuga RyghtA young and cocky human who joins the GUARDIANS at the same time as Ethan and forms a friendly rivalry with him. Hyuga may act like The Casanova, but he is also a devout follower of the Gurhal Faith and a genuine prodigy. He is actually the son of the president of GRM, and inherits the company during the events of Ambition.He becomes infected by the SEED Virus during his work as a member of the GUARDIANS, and despite taking suppressants he eventually mutates into a SEED-Form. He is saved and reverts back to his human form, but sometime between the events of Episode 3 and Portable 2 he- along with many other humans who were exposed to the SEED Virus- transforms into a Dewman.
- Akira Ishida
- The Casanova
- Lightning Bruiser
- Painful Transformation: When he mutates into a SEED-Form.
- Peek-a-Bangs: In Portable 2 Infinity.
- The Rival: To Ethan.
- Took a Level in Badass: His transformation into a Dewman in Portable 2 Infinity. If not for the Artificial Stupidity, he'd be classified as a Game Breaker because of the nature of his Infinite Blast.
Maya ShidowA female Newman, and Karen's adoptive sister as well as a researcher with the GUARDIANS Research and Development Department.
- D-Cup Distress: A brief cutscene in Portable reveals that she doesn't really like having large breasts.
- Lethal Chef
- Ms. Fanservice
Lucaim NavAn male CAST and headmaster of the GUARDIANS Academy.
- Dirty Old Man: Loves pinching the butts of his female students ... for training purposes, no less!
- Double Entendre: Just about everything Nav says in combat can be taken the wrong way.
- Old Master: Despite being a CAST, he resembles an old man.
Leogini Santosa BerafortA male Beast. Member of the GUARDIAN Mobile Defense Unit.
Tonnio RhimaA Hot-Blooded male Beastling. Like all beastlings, Tonnio looks like he's not older than twelve, but he's old enough to be your father. During the events of Universe, Ambitions, and Portable Tonnio is part of the GUARDIANS. In Portable 2 and Portable 2 Infinity Tonnio has since left the GUARDIANS in three years since the events of ''Ambitions'' and married Liina. He now works with Liina as a pair of mercenaries.
- Battle Couple: with Liina in Portable 2.
Liina Sukaya/Liina RhimaA more calm and collected female Beastling. Like all Beastlings, Liina looks like she's not older than twelve, but she's old enough to be your mother. During the events of Universe, Ambitions, and Portable Liina is part of the Tyler Family - as the second in command to Alfort Tylor. In Portable 2 and Portable 2 Infinity Liina has since left the Tylor Family in three years since the events of ''Ambitions'' and married Tonnio. She now works with Tonnio as a pair of mercenaries.
- Battle Couple: with Tonnio in Portable 2.
- Pregnant Badass: In one of the sidequests we learn that Linna is several weeks pregnant with Tonnio's baby. Yet she was able to kick the native creatures' butts for the first half of the quest - then her morning sickness caught up with her.
LouA CAST in the GUARDIANS Intelligence Unit. Lou's specialties include data gathering and analysis, hacking, and blowing stuff to smithereens with her SUV weapons. Lou is a special CAST in that she is the only CAST to have multiple bodies that all share the same mind - an ability previously only belonging to Copy-CASTs.
- Machine Monotone: Lou always speaks in same monotone voice no matter what situations she is in. This, coupled with her Stoic status, will often lead to a Crowning Moment of Funny
- More Dakka: Her SUV weapon.
- The Stoic: Purposely limits the emotions she shows and feels as they impair her work. Though she learns to open up a bit more - when doing so won't impair her duties.
- Robot Girl: Well she is a CAST.
Lumia WaberEthan Waber's little sister. She joins the GUARDIANS in Episode 3 as a new recruit, and by the events of Portable 2 has become one of their most elite agents. Although the older Lumia is highly-skilled and focused, she tends to dismiss the help of others and work alone.
- Action Girl: By Portable 2.
- Apocalypse Maiden: In Episode 3, she is used by the bad guys as a vessel of negative emotion, which would catalyse the resurrection of Dark Falz.
- Big Damn Heroes: How she is re-introduced in Portable 2.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She is quite cold towards Little Wing in Portable 2, sometimes to the detriment of the mission. Her Character Development has her mellow out and learn to rely on others more.
- Distressed Damsel: For a lot of Episode 3.
- She Is All Grown Up
- SergeantRock/SternTeacher: Emilia says she has become this in record time as a Guardians instructor.
- Sibling Rivalry: One of the contributing factors to why she tries so damn hard in Portable 2. She has a lot to live up to, being the little sister of the famous hero that basically saved the entire Gurhal System.
- Took a Level in Badass: By Portable 2.
Introduced in Ambition of the Illuminus
Laia MartinezA senior Beast instructor within the GUARDIANS. Laia is renowned for her ruthless training regimen, to the point where merely graduating from her tutelage is considered an achievement in itself. She is the adopted daughter of GUARDIANS President Obel Dallgun, and feels that she has to prove herself worthy of both her professional position and of being his daughter. When Dallgun is killed during the events of Ambition, Laia inherits his position as leader of the GUARDIANS, although she is reluctant to do so at first.
- Action Girl
- Black and White Morality: Has trouble trusting Ethan due to her zero-tolerance attitude toward criminals. Justified because the crime he is accused of is an attempt to assassinate President Dallgun, who has the added bonus of being her father.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty
- Girlish Pigtails
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: The plot of Episode 2 is all about her, with the Player Character pushed to the background.
- Training from Hell
Introduced in Phantasy Star Portable
VivienneA new Super Prototype CAST with unprecedented emotional processing capabilities. She is assigned to be the partner of the Player Character in Phantasy Star Portable, who is tasked with shaping her emotional development. Vivienne is generally quite friendly and dedicated, though she comes off as naive at times. She is actually a Copy-CAST of Helga Neumann, who uses the unwitting Vivienne as a mole within the GUARDIANS, with everything she sees and hears fed back to Helga.
- Little Bit Beastly: Her antennae resemble a pair of rabbit ears.
- Manchurian Agent
- Tomato in the Mirror
- Robot Girl: Well she is a CAST. Even though that technically she's a Copy-CAST the trope still applies
- Shadow Archetype: To Helga, as the personality of a Copy-CAST is a copy of the original creator. This means that Vivienne shows how Helga used to be, before her mind was corrupted by the SEED.
- What Is This Thing You Call Love?
Introduced in Phantasy Star Portable 2
Emilia PercivalA lazy and unmotivated girl who works as a mercenary for Little Wing, mainly because her boss is also her reluctant legal guardian. She suffers from a critical lack of ambition, and the story of Portable 2 focuses on how she regains her drive after becoming the partner of the Player Character and being possessed by the Ancient known as Mika.
- Brilliant, but Lazy
- Chiwa Saito
- Powers via Possession: Gets possessed by Mika.
- Smart Ball
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia
- Wetware CPU: She was used by the GUARDIANS as the core of an experimental Wetware CPU. This ended up cultivating her antisocial behaviour, as the scientists treated her as a part instead of a person.
Kraz MuehlerSecond in Command Of Little Wing and Emilia's legal guardian.
Yut Jun YunkersA young warrior in-training of the Kasch tribe. Is half-Beast and half-Newman. He loves pudding.
Ursula LaurentA Female Newman and owner of Little Wing.
ChelseaA female CAST and receptionist of Little Wing.
MikaAn Ancient who co-inhabits Emilia's body.
Nagisa AdelheidA character introduced in Expansion Pack game Portable 2 Infinity. Nagisa is a "Dewman", a new race of mutated humans who have gained supernatural powers from exposure to the SEED virus. She is a cold and determined young woman who is searching for a series of mysterious fragments.
- Cry Cute: In the True Ending, after leaving Little Wing, thinking there was nothing there for someone who assaulted its members, she wanders Gurhal, attempting to prove that Wainal was a liar. She comes across the player character, Emilia and their friends, however, and realizing that he did give her the one thing she wanted most on her birthday, she starts crying tears of joy.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Disappears into Light: Does this in the Normal Ending.
- Flower in Her Hair: Has an all blue floral decoration which seems to be made up of a rose and holly leaves
- Eyepatch of Power
- Genius Ditz: She's a combat expert, having years of experience alone to work with, but to say Nagisa lacks common sense would be such a horrible understatement. It makes for some hilarious moments, though.
- Example 1: Yut has to find himself a bride before coming back to his village. He comes to Nagisa, wondering if she knows where he can find that bride. She recalls the word, but misremembers its meaning, telling the Kasch boy that a bride is a rival. The player character even comes across this, and it isn't until after she misdefines it to Yut that she sees them.Nagisa: ...? What's wrong, <Player>? Why do you look as if you are about to laugh?
- Example 1: Yut has to find himself a bride before coming back to his village. He comes to Nagisa, wondering if she knows where he can find that bride. She recalls the word, but misremembers its meaning, telling the Kasch boy that a bride is a rival. The player character even comes across this, and it isn't until after she misdefines it to Yut that she sees them.
- Impossibly Cool Weapon: Her greatsword, which (taking a cue from the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha series) can expend bullets to increase its power.
- Ineffectual Loner: Her character arc boils down to working past this, as she's fought alone for most of her life. It takes a lot of help from the player character and their friends, and maybe a little bit of Wainal's handiwork, for her to get there.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Absorbing the Dark Falz fragments does this to her, on top of being generally unpleasant to her body and mind. She's forgotten a lot of things, but if you reach the True Ending, a post-game dialogue shows that everything's coming back to her, bit by bit.
- Nana Mizuki
- Power Glows
- Power Limiter: Her eyepatch, like every Dewman.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: If it's covered by a patch, you're safe. If she removes it and her other eye turns red, though...
- Sealed Evil in a Can: She's the can for Dark Falz.
- Stoic Woobie
- Suicide by Cop: Attempts to have the player character kill her to avoid unleashing Dark Falz on the Gurhal system. Twice. The first time has the potential to go through, but if you refuse to fight back, she tries this again on the Holy Ark Crowley. This one fails outright, as by that point the player character is determined to bring her back alive.
Renvolt MagashiA CAST who leads the mysterious Endrum Collective, a group that wishes to use the SEED Crisis to monopolise the A-Photon technology discovered in the Relic Sites. He is actually a Copy-CAST of Karl F. Howzer, created to stir dissent and advance the goals of the Illuminus. In The Magashi Plan, the player cooperates with a "defective" clone of him. This same clone goes on to be the vessel for Dark Falz in Subplot 4 of Episode 3, Chapter 8.
- Back from the Dead: He is killed during the game, but is revived by the SEED to act as an incarnation of Dulk Fakis. After that, a second copy is defeated and repaired by the GUARDIANS, mellowing him out a bit.
- Blood Knight
- Devil in Plain Sight
- Flaming Laser Blades: His weapon of choice is the Two-Headed Ragnus, a pair of jagged burning Sabers. He can even cast Foie using them!
- Large Ham: Boy is he ever. He inherited this trait from Howzer, the human he is a Copy-CAST of.
- Playing with Fire: Again, he uses burning Sabers and uses them to cast Foie.
- The Rival: To Ethan.
- Worthy Opponent: The "defective" Magashi clone views the player character as this, especially when he has to fight them (as Dark Falz) in Subplot 4 of the Episode 3 finale.
Karl F. HowzerThe shadowy leader of the human supremacy group, the Illuminus. He seeks to use the SEED Crisis as an opportunity to advance his own agenda and commit genocide on the non-human races. It is later revealed that the Illuminus was a front for Howzer's true goal: to find a vessel for Dark Falz and unleash them upon the Gurhal system.
- Big Bad
- Large Ham: You can only hear his voice when you fight him, but his he crams as much scenery as possible into his mouth in those few brief moments.
- Light Is Not Good: He wears a bright white outfit and leads an extremist group
- Klingon Promotion: Got his position as head of the Illuminus by assassinating the previous one.
- Power Floats: When he faces the player directly, he is floating in the air.
- Rubber Man: Downplayed. He occasionally attacks you by punching you with a stretchable fist.
Helga NeumannA mysterious terrorist linked to a number of SEED attacks. She bears the name and appearance of a scientist who disappeared over twenty years ago, but she does not seem to have aged a day. She is actually a clone of the original Helga Newmann made from SEED cells. The SEED cells have corrupted her original personality, bending her will towards that of the Hive Mind SEED. There are also hundreds of these clones, essentially making her immortal.
- Artificial Human
- Enigmatic Minion
- One-Winged Angel: Has two such transformations, although the second is into Dulk Fakis.
- Smug Snake
- Undying Loyalty: To Howzer. It helps that an alternate ending for A Brighter Day reveals that she loves him.
Shizuru Shu (VA: Jun Fukuyama)The main antagonist of Portable 2. Shizuru is a charismatic young man who is at the forefront of subspace research. He is seeking the "Codexes", which would open the way to Maghara and allow the Ancients to carry out their master plan. He has become possessed by Kuhman, the cruel king of the Ancients, against his will. In the Perfect Ending, he throws off the possession and joins the heroes in their final battle.
- Brainwashed: Has the ability to brainwash weak-minded people into serving him.
- Demonic Possession
- The Evil Genius
- Heel–Face Turn: In the Perfect Ending.
- White Hair, Black Heart
Dulk FakisThe final maturation of a SEED life-form. Any creature that has been infected by the SEED has the potential to become a Dulk Fakis, the Hive Queens of the SEED Hive Mind that are able to control where they go and who they infect.
- Final Boss: For multiple games in the Universe series.
- Hijacked by Ganon: Considering the name, it's really no surprise that Dulk Fakis is an incarnation of Dark Falz. A proper incarnation of Dark Falz is the Final Boss of Portable 2 Infinity, and therefore the series.
- Hive Queen
- One-Winged Angel
- Wave Motion Gun: Can fire one out of its chest.