The characters of Half-Minute Hero
and its XBLA port Super Mega Neo Climax
. Thankfully, we have far more than 30 seconds to describe everyone in the game; otherwise, we'd probably ruin the economy paying the Time Goddess every so often.
open/close all folders
Half Minute Hero 1
The Time Goddess
A goddess who had fought a great battle with the Ultimate Evil Lord for eons, eventually sealing her away. She helps the Hero on his journey to stop the evil lords from casting the 30-second spell of destruction by rewinding time (for a fee, of course). She also assists the Evil Lord and the Princess, as well as the Knight in the form of the Sage.
A young traveler living in Goddess Era 100
, tasked with saving the world from being obliterated in 30 seconds by the spell of destruction. Thanks to the Time Goddess, he doesn't need to break a sweat.
The (Beautiful!) Evil Lord
Unlike the other Evil Lords from Hero 30
, this Evil Lord only learned and cast the spell of destruction out of grief of losing his lover Millenia. However, thanks to the Hero's kindness, he regains his sanity and stops the spell. Now (in GE 200) he sets out to break the curse placed upon her, fighting and punishing the humans that dare stand in his way.
The princess of the World Nation, which was established prior to the current era of GE 300. Armed with her crossbow, her loyal troupe of knights, and her determination, she sets out to try and find cures for her father, the ailing King.
The last surviving knight after the awakening of the Ultimate Evil Lord and the ensuing monsters' rampage, revived by a benevolent Sage. In the desolate year of GE 500, he accompanies the Sage through the ruined World Nation, defending him from the now-dominant monsters.
A mysterious wizard who revives a Knight and has him serve as his bodyguard. With his help, he goes around the ruined world, purifying it of monsters as he seeks the three brave souls of times past. He is actually the reincarnation of the Time Goddess.
The overarching antagonist of the game, he seeks to revive the Ultimate Evil Lord so that he can use her power for his own
. He has taught the spell of destruction to various evil overlords in Hero 30
, antagonized the Beautiful Evil Lord by kidnapping and cursing his lover prior to Evil Lord 30
, cursed the King of the World Nation in Princess 30
, and finally killed the Time Goddess to awaken the Ultimate Evil Lord,
allowing the events before Knight 30
and Hero 300
Black Knight Lord Zain
Reaper Lord Lamde
- The Heavy: Responsible for most of Ouverture and Judgement by tricking Yusha into releasing the Evil Lords.
- Master Of Illusions: Is capable of disguising himself and other monsters as humans and spends much of Ouverture in his disguise as Ramiz.
- Obviously Evil: The King in his quest lets out a cackle when you talk to him. To no surprise, it's actually Lamde in disguise.
One of Roseir's servants, Grillade pesters the Knight and Sage as they travel the ruined world.
Ultimate Evil Lord
The Evil Lords
A collective of evil lords
who have learned the spell of destruction and will use it for their own ends. This excludes the Beautiful Evil Lord, Black Knight Lord Zain, The Goddess of Judgement, Lord Larrie
, Reaper Lord Lamde, Overlord Hol, and Noire, who all have their own sections.
The Bandit Trio
A trio of misfits who cause mischief across the lands the Hero travels.
Tropes shared by all three characters:
The young brat of the trio.
The stout one of the trio.
The sneaky one of the trio.
A girl Hero meets in a quest and rescues from some monsters.
- Ascended Extra: She's an optional party member in Second Coming.
- Easy Amnesia: At first in the sequel, due to being asleep for almost 900 years. But seeing Hero brings everything back to her.
- Heel-Face Turn: She was a monster who worked for Lamde in order to buy time for him by distracting Hero, but she decided that she didn't want such a beautiful world destroyed.
- Lightning Bruiser: As a party member, she's the fastest one, so she'll get the first strike in a battle, her attack is decent, and she's one of the most durable party members in the game.
A young human woman who the Evil Lord fell in love with. They shared a happy life together until Noire kidnapped her and turned her into a bat. After the Hero rescued her, The Evil Lord set about finding Noire to make him remove the curse.
- Baleful Polymorph
- Little Bit Beastly: After the Evil Lord finds Noire and defeats him, making his curse go away partially. Too bad it doesn't stick.
- Morality Chain: The minute her curse worsens, The Evil Lord completely loses it.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: By the time of the sequel, going back and forth between human and bat form so often has apparently given her the ability to do so at will.
- Weakened by the Light: As a bat undergoing monsterization, she is averse to sunlight. The Evil Lord only has so much time to accomplish his objective before the sun rises.
- You Gotta Have Violet Hair: Deconstructed. She was the target of Fantastic Racism because of her hair color, and would have been made a human sacrifice for her village had she not attempted to drown herself.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: The very "sacrifice" that caused her to flee the village was actually her doing all along. After complaining to her friend, Mr. Bat, about her treatment because of her hair, he came back to the village, posing as a god and demanding the sacrifice of violet-haired girls. It later turns out that the girls weren't being sacrificed, but were kept safe by Mr. Bat to avoid persecution. If Millenia hadn't met BEL, she would've run away from her home for nothing.
The Goddess of Judgement The Big Bad from Valhalla Knights 2 (another game developed by XSEED), she reprises her role in the Bonus Dungeon Another Goddess, while acting as a Walking Spoiler. Only appears in the PSP version.
The KingThe king
of the World Nation, who united it under his rule and proceeded to live a happy life with his queen and daughter, the Princess. Unfortunately, at the beginning of Princess 30
, he falls ill and becomes bedridden, causing the Princess to go out and find a means to cure him of his sickness.
Johnny and Max
The Princess's two most loyal guards. They (along with up to 28 others) carry her across the land while she rains arrow-shaped death at whatever monsters stand in her way.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Max distracts the volcano's fire spirit with a princess effigy so that the real Princess and her guard can escape to safety, much to everyone's distress. He does come back later, but in the meantime his position is filled by his brother Hugh.
- Those Two Guys
Half Minute Hero2
The protagonist of the Overture
chapters. The commander of Brave Kingdom's commando force in Goddess Era 600. Tasked initially with clearing out the last remnants of the Evil Lords, he's eventually given a top-secret mission from the queen herself. A mysterious man with no knowledge of his past. Furthering his mystery, he has a single white wing that appears when he gets serious in battle.
- Commanding Coolness
- Determinator: If he has a mission to complete, he will never stop. Not when a curse is tearing his body apart, and not when walking across a river of lava with the Ultimate Evil Lord at its end.
- Fish out of Temporal Water: Yusha is actually Hero's son, and belongs to his time period, but the Goddess accidentally displaced him to GE 600 while saving him from the Ultimate Evil Lord.
- Frame-Up: In Judgement, an Evil Lord frames him for the death of Brave Kingdom's queen, causing him to be chased from the kingdom, and leading to Yashu's fall.
- Good Wings, Evil Wings: His single wing is white, to signify his heroic nature. Throughout Prelude, the Elements' curse gradually turns it black. In the final mission of Overture, it turns completely black, and begins to radiate the Spell of Destruction.
- Half-Human Hybrid: He turns out to be the son of Hero and an angel. Amusingly, he's referred to not as half-angel and half-human, but as half-angel and half-hero.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: At the start of Judgement, thanks to Reaper Lord Lamde.
- Leitmotif: "One Winged Hero"
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: His "top-secret-mission" to destroy the Eight Elements was actually a ruse by Reaper Lord Lamde. The Elements were the only things maintaining the seal on the Dark World and the Evil Lords.
- Revenge: At the end of Overture, he swears vengeance upon the Evil Lords, Reaper Lord Lamde in particular, and his own fate.
- Winged Humanoid: Yusha has a single, white wing that appears from his back when he gets serious in battle. He loses it by the end of Overture. It's eventually revealed that the wing is a sign of his Angel blood.
The protagonist of the Revolution
chapter. A princess, and descendant of heroes, living in the Time Goddess Academy in Goddess Era 800. When the Evil Empire
breaks its peace treaties and attacks, she considers it her duty as a hero to take up arms and fight them.
The protagonist of the Ragnarok
chapter. A descendant of heroes. In Goddess Era 999, Yuja travels the land, beating up gods who are trying to disrupt the peace between humans and demons. His amazing strength has earned him the title "God Hunter".
- Blood Knight: Faced with a God demanding to battle him, he tells the Time Goddess that he dreads not its power or any traps it might be luring him into, but that it'll turn out to be all talk and he won't get a good fight.
- Determinator:During his battle with the Dark Goddess, he takes all her attacks meant for Coo and continues to taunt her and tell her to listen to Coo's song.
- Idiot Hero: He prefers to fight first and think later. He is also apparently incapable of basic math.
- LeitMotif: "No More HERO"
Party Members and Major Allies
A sub-commander in the Brave Kingdom's Commando Force, alongside Yusha and Guy. A longtime sparring partner and friendly rival of Yusha, and fiercely
loyal to Queen Maria.
- My Master, Right or Wrong: Like Yusha, he was taken in by Queen Maria and has dedicated his life to her service, but to a higher, near-fanatical degree. Lamde exploits this to make him into Yusha's greatest enemy.
- The Rival: A sparring partner to Yusha from their respective childhoods, though they work well alongside each other in battle.
- Rival Turned Evil: After taking up the Demon Sword, he becomes hell-bent on taking revenge on Yusha, and anyone connected to him or his bloodline.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Saves Yushia from being blown off the Sky Continent for the sole purpose of killing her himself.
A sub-commander in the Brave Kingdom's Commando Force, alongside Yusha and Yashu. Not nearly as stoic or serious as his comrades, and a bit of a womanizer.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Despite his carefree attitude, he is one of the Brave Kingdom's Sub-commanders, on par with Yusha and Yashu and is the first ally to realize something's wrong with the queen.
- The Charmer
- Guest Star Party Member: After the first few quests, he leaves the party only to show up as this in a couple more throughout the game, before finally joining for good late into Judgement.
- He Knows About Timed Hits: Provides tutorial information in the first few missions purely for the player's sake, much to Yashu's confusion.
- Jack of All Stats: His Attack and Defense are identical.
A Brave Kingdom soldier who has a top-secret mission for Yusha on behalf of the queen. A dutiful soldier, but not much about him is known.
- Blade on a Stick
- Cannon Fodder: Is one of the weakest party members. Possibly intentionally, as he has absolutely no interest in saving anybody.
- Evil All Along: Is actually the Reaper Lord Lamde, manipulating Yusha to free the Evil Lords.
- Faceless Goons: The only visual difference between him and other Brave Kingdom soldiers is that his armor is black and theirs is grey.
A sorcerer's apprentice who helps Yusha see through the Mist Dragon's deception, joining him on his quest.
The same Knight who saved the world alongside the Hero and others from the first game. He has continued to live as the Time Goddess's servant to help protect the world.
See his entry in Half Minute Hero 1 —> Main Protagonists above for more details.
A veteran traveling swordsman who comes back to battle to help fight off the Rock Dragon, joining Yusha on his adventure afterwards.
- Heroic BSOD: As a result of losing his sword to the Rock Dragon.
- Optional Party Member: He will only join if you give him the new sword.
- Wrecked Weapon: At the start of his stage, his weapon breaks against the Rock Dragon's armor, crushing his spirit until you can make him a replacement.
A prisoner of Brave Kingdom. He helps Yusha escape jail after his wrongful imprisonment between Overture and Judgement.
A young girl from a village on the outskirst of Brave Kingdom, she is able to play melodies that can lull animals to sleep. She joins Yusha to help him defeat the Evil Lords.
Dai and Zochi
A pair of carpenters who maintain the giant mobile fortress "Hero Castle."
- The Ageless: It is never explained how, but wherever, whenever, the Hero Castle is, these two can also be found.
- Ridiculously Fast Construction: Dai is able to switch parts of the castle instantly, provided he's available to talk to. Zochi, on the other hand, is able to add new floors to equip additional body parts, but only outside of quests.
- Those Two Guys
An Evil Lord who loves to collect weapons. She loves them so much, that she doesn't want the world to be destroyed, as it would mean the destruction of her weapon collection as well.
- Ascended Extra: Was only a normal stage boss in the first game.
- Bonus Boss: Is the final boss in Infinite Battle mode.
- Heel-Face Turn
- Item Crafting: Acts as a weaponsmith in Hero Castle. She can combine one weapon with another to make a stronger version of it.
The same Beautiful Evil Lord who saved the world alongside the Hero and others from the first game. Not to be confused with the other Evil Lords out to destroy the world.
See his entry in Half Minute Hero 1 —> Main Protagonists above for more details.
See his entry in Half Minute Hero 1 —> Main Antagonists above for more details.
A demon dog that Rina has befriended.
One of Yushia's friends at Goddess Academy. A technological expert who made Yushia's bowgun.
A handsome, though somewhat narcissistic friend of Yushia at Goddess Academy.
The princess of the empire. Somewhat haughty and conceited, but holds much love for her father and country. Opposes Yushia on multiple occasions.
A Beastwoman defending her home from the Empire's invasion. Initially hostile to Yushia, she joins after Yushia helps protect her home.
Brave General Silveria
One of the Empire's Three Imperial Generals. Although technically in opposition to Yushia's quest, she helps her out in order to mitigate casualties caused by the reckless actions of the other generals. Defects from the Empire and joins Yushia for good in order to help her destroy the monstrous Grimoire beasts that the Empire had created.
A robot abandoned at the Imperial Laboratory. With a little help from Nanako, he is repaired and gladly aids Yushia on her quest.
A mysterious, silent swordsman in a hood who has come to the heroes' aid. His true identity is none other than the Hero from the first game, and Yusha's father.
A blind girl who is the last of the Singer tribe, after the God Nine silenced the rest of them with their light. Is roped into helping Yuja stop the God Nine when he discovers that her song is the only thing that can counter the God Nine's magic.
- Blind Musician
- Despair Event Horizon: Having her song used as nothing more than an anti-sanctuary tool slowly wears her down to the point where she no longer finds joy in singing. This causes her to lose her ability to sing at all until she can remember why she became a Singer in the first place and becomes remotivated.
- Magic Music
- NonActionGirl: Doesn't fight, unlike the rest of Yuja's companions.
A nun who joins Yuja to protect her village from the one of the raging God Nine. After helping slay the God, she decides to devote herself to the Time Goddess instead.
- Badass Preacher
- Carry a Big Stick
- Crisis of Faith: She doesn't know what to do at first after helping Yuja slay the local God Nine (who she had been praying to to stop the volcanoes, but to no avail,) but then the Time Goddess shows up to chat, and everything works out from there.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Gets angry somewhat easily.
An Android developed by the Empire from Revolution
with the purpose of allowing them to manipulate the Timestream like the Time Goddess can. Serves as Yuja and company's Time Goddess while the actual Time Goddess has gone off the deep end.
- Armor-Piercing Attack: Her gimmick as a party member.
- Gone Horribly Right: A helpful example. Wise General Richter built her to be just like the Time Goddess as a weapon for the Empire. Not only were her Time abilities replicated, however, but also her personality quirks and ability to only work with the Chosen Hero and descendants, making it useless to the Empire and perfect for Yuja.
- Greed: She is based on the Time Goddess after all.
- If My Calculations Are Correct
- Jet Pack: Has rocket boosters in place of legs.
- Mighty Glacier: When she joins the party in Destiny as "Retrofitted No. 30"
- Only in It for the Money: You need to have 15000 Gold on hand to get her back in Destiny. But this isn't out of malice on her part, rather it is in order for her repair systems to quickly complete themselves, as she literally operates on money. Although, it is unclear how much of that is actually needed and how much of it is due to the Time Goddess' personality.
- Robot Girl
- Wave Motion Gun: In the second Ragnarök DLC mission, she has one that can wreck an entire fleet of battleships. It costs 50000G to use.
A young boy who lives near the Tower of Contracts, whose village is wiped out while he is out. With Yuja's help, he is able to make a contract with either an angel or a demon to gain immense power, and accompanies Yuja to help save the world afterwards.
Sach, the Third Daughter of Slaughter
One of the Venus Seven. A speed-demon through and through, she challenges Yuja to a motorcycle race, eschewing combat and sanctuaries and betting it all on the track. Impressed by Yuja's performance and strength, she decides to join his team after the battle.
AsurakoThe combat expert of the Venus Seven. A powerful fighter who built an arena to satisfy her desire for a good fight. After refusing to stay dead after defeating by Yuja several times, he convinces her to join as a comrade-in-arms.
Son of Zain, the Black Knight Evil Lord. After Zain's defeat in Judgement
, he appears periodically throughout the game to take revenge for his father's death, fighting each of the heroes at least once. After giving his all in one final fight against Yuja, he joins Yuja to help fulfill the ideal of a world where everyone, human, demon, angel, or otherwise can live together in peace.
- Boss In Mooks Clothing: Randomly replaces a normal enemy in certain locations.
- Determinator: Is defeated by Yusha, Yushia, and Yuja on multiple occasions over the course of 400 years, ending in fighting a powered up version of him in one of the final coliseums. Just like with Asurako, this impresses Yuja enough to ask him to join.
- Optional Party Member: Is found in one of the Ultimate Coliseum global dungeons.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Mentions that he wasn't always seeing eye to eye with his father the first time you fight him, implying that part of his need for revenge is to earn his father's respect. Which he finally succeeds in getting after the final fight against him.
SashaA former zombie who passed on and became an angel, who since reunited with Hero from the first game. Is Yusha's mother, and has been waiting nearly 900 years to reunite with her family after Yusha was taken away from them before the start of the game.
See her entry in Half Minute Hero 1 —> Other above for more details.
The Eight Elements
A host of powerful beasts that wield great magical powers. They plan to destroy the world, according to Ramiz and the Queen. They are able to annihilate all life on the continent with their powerful Breath of Destruction.
Reaper Lord Lamde
An Evil Lord with power over death. One of Overlord Hol's right-hand men in the previous game, he now works for Evil Lord Mestvolos in a similar capacity.
The Four Ultimate Kings
A host of powerful Evil Lords that serve as Mestvolos' top commanders. Like all Evil Lords, they are able to destroy the world with their Spell of Destruction.
Ultimate Evil Lord Mestvolos
Ruler of the Dark World and strongest of the Evil Lords. Seeks to conquer the world above, destroying all humans with the Spell of Destruction.
Fierce General Gustaf
One of the Empire's Three Imperial Generals. A bloodthirsty fighter who is indiscriminate in the use of force to accomplish his goals.
Wise General Richter
One of the Empire's Three Imperial Generals. A scientist who is equal parts brilliant and full of himself. The main scientist behind the development of the Evil Lord Weapons, each equipped with their own continent-leveling Destruction Device.
A group of seven artificially-grown Evil Lords made to tap into the power of the Timestream, and siphon it to the Empire. However, the power proves to be too much for the technology to control, causing them to run mad across the land, threatening it with their built-in Destruction Devices.
- Gone Horribly Right: They ultimately serve their purpose as power sources, but not before breaking loose and threatening the world with their powers.
- Seven Deadly Sins: It's relatively subtle, but they seem to have this naming scheme. For example, Ava comes from avaritia, greed, while Spelvia is a corruption of superbia, pride.
- Tentacle Rope: The first Grimoire, Gravidon, specializes in this as a One-Hit Kill. If Yushia so much as touches one she is ensnared and consumed.
Leader of the Empire. He has ordered the collection and research into naturally-grown Chrono Crystals and the Timestream for unknown, yet likely sinister reasons.
- A God Am I: As the Evil Emperor.
- Ambition Is Evil: Wants to harness the power of the Timestream for his own ends. Even if it means sacrificing his country and daughter, thanks to becoming corrupted by it.
- Big Bad: Of Revolution.
- The Emperor: Well, yeah.
The God Nine
A group of divine beings out to destroy the world, disgusted at the peaceful integration of humans and demons between the Revolution
chapters. They take to the field of battle themselves after Yuja kills all their minions at the start of Ragnarok
. Able to destroy continents with their Songs of Destruction, and can erect magical barriers known as Sanctuaries to protect themselves, making them very fearsome opponents.
The Dark GoddessAlthough the God Nine were defeated, their manipulation of the Timestream's flow caused the Time Goddess to go mad. She is just as greedy and whimsical as always, but now completely evil and aiming to destroy the world. See her entry in Half Minute Hero 1 —> Main Protagonists above for more details.
The Venus Seven
A group of Goddesses freshly made by the Dark Time Goddess
to fill in the void left behind by the God Nine. As gods, they can also use Songs of Destruction and Sanctuaries to stop Yuja.
- Amazon Brigade
- Cute Monster Girl: All seven.
- Heel-Face Turn: Two of the members will actually join Yuja after he defeats them: Sach after her stage, and Asurako, after defeating her in one of the final coliseums.
- Magic Music
- The Grim Reaper: The First Slaughter Daughter. Long black robe, gigantic scythe, power over Death... Her artwork even depicts her with a skeletal right hand.
- Twincest: Yuri Yaksha, a pair of identical (save hair color) girls holding hands within a crystal flower. The gallery describes them as twins, while their special move is called "Couple's World".