- Audience-Alienating Premise: As the movie came out after both March of the Penguins and Happy Feet caused a considerable backlash against penguin movies, a lot of people avoided this movie like the plague on "penguins on surf boards" alone. The film wound up underperforming at the box office, although it was well-reviewed by critics for ironically having elements that made it stand out among other penguin movies.
- Awesome Music: "Legends".
- Cargo Ship: Tank and all his trophies. Also canon.
- Heartwarming Moments: Geek says he has no interest in the competition and tells Cody he won't attend. That turns out to be a lie, as he secretly watches from the jungle with a fatherly smile on his face.
- "Seinfeld" Is Unfunny
- The cure for stings from a sea urchin. Peeing (or vinegar) can help clean out the injury and soothe the burn, but one should go see a medic as soon as possible afterward.
- This movie's really fond of poop jokes. At one point, Cody even ends up water-sliding down into a glowing, jello-like pool of...glowworm poop.
- "Stop Having Fun" Guys: Arguably An Aesop of the whole film. Cody cares about beating the competition and takes surfing seriously. It isn't until he learns from Big Z that looking at sports from a competitive view ultimately ruins what makes them fun.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: By the filmmakers' own admission, the "animated mockumentary" gimmick was a little too ambitious and by the third act, the film becomes a more-or-less conventional family film simply to wrap up the story.
- Visual Effects of Awesome:
YMMV / Surf's Up