Wave Twisters is a 2001 animated film set to the album of the same name by DJ Q-Bert, best known for scratching on Dr. Octagon. It starts out with the simple premise of a group of heroes saving a lost culture. What follows is a screwy quest across the stars to spread hip-hop to the masses and thwart the plans of a purple worm overlord living in the navel of an equally purple infant and his headless horde of space bikers. Our heroes are Dr. Julio Azul DDS, his secretary Honey Drips, his robot assistant Rubbish and an elderly b-boy named Grandpa.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Most characters except for Honey Drips and the Lego-esque civilians.
- Animated Concept Video: Not that it makes that much sense.
- Baleful Polymorph: Honey Drips temporarily turns into an ostrich.
- Dance Battler: How Dr. DDS deals with the weaponized subwoofer.
- Deranged Animation: Goes with the territory of setting a cartoon to Q-Bert.
- Hip-Hop: The group's goal is to teach everyone the four pillars.
- Humongous Mecha: Our heroes have one that turns into a jet.
- Hypocrite: Lord Ook and Red Worm are seeking to oppress hip-hop, yet have scratching assassins do their dirty work.
- Medium Blending: The musicians involved with the album are depicted in live action.
- Mickey Mousing: The onscreen action follows the rhythm of Qbert's scratches.
- Pac-Man Fever: There are plenty of homages to retro games, from an Asteroids sequence to the Pitfall-inspired DVD cover.
- Sampling: Nah, ya think?