Buccaneer Bunny is a 1948 Looney Tunes short (directed by Friz Freleng) starring Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam. It features Sam's first role as a pirate. It is considered one of The 100 Greatest Looney Tunes.
While burying his treasure, Sea-Goin' Sam ends up digging into Bugs' hole. To keep the location of his treasure secret, Sam intends to shoot Bugs (saying "Dead rabbits tell no tales"), until Bugs tricks him into almost shooting himself ("Now, just a minute, Red. Ain't you got that wrong? You mean dead men tell no tales") resulting in Sam chasing Bugs across his entire pirate ship, with Bugs getting the best of him at every turn.
- Big "NO!": Sam gives off a hilarious one when Bugs throws a match into his gunpowder storage.
- Bowdlerization: The WB! channel edited this cartoon to remove the part where Bugs tells Sam that "Dead men tell no tales," and Sam almost shoots himself in the head before realizing he's been tricked. This scene was also edited when shown on Cartoon Network's Latin American channel (but left intact on other Cartoon Network channels, including ones in the United States, Australia, and United Kingdom, and on Cartoon Network's spin-off channel, Boomerang, both in the United States and overseas) and the Latin American cartoon channel Tooncast. In contrast to the WB! version, Tooncast and Cartoon Network Latin America left in the scene of Bugs telling Sam "Dead men tell no tales" and Sam realizing that Bugs is right, but cut the scene of Sam saying, "Well, doggone it, I reckon I ain't got no alternative," and pointing a gun on his head before realizing he's been tricked (making it obvious that there's something missing).
- Elevator Gag: The crow's nest in Sam's ship has an elevator.
- Everything Explodes Ending: For the climax, Bugs throws a lit match down the gunpowder room. Sam quickly retrieves it, only for Bugs to throw another and send Sam scrambling after it again. He warns Bugs that if the tries it a third time, he won't go after it... so Bugs throws another match. Sam tries to not go after it, even distracting himself with a game of jacks, but eventually he caves and runs after it, but it's too late. The ship explodes, and Sam and Bugs land on the beach with the remains of the deck.Bugs: Eh, didn't make it?
- He Knows Too Much: Sam's initial reason for wanting to kill Bugs was because he was the only other person who knew where his Buried Treasure was, even though it was his hole Sam was digging in.
- Here We Go Again!: When Sam pulls out his sword a second time at Bugs.Bugs: What, sword again?! (Sam tries to stab Bugs, but got his sword stuck on a pole and tries to get it out) What a nasty disposition!
- Instantly Defeathered Bird: Bugs gives Sam's parrot a large firecracker, which blows all of its feathers off when it explodes.
- Pirate Parrot: Sam's parrot keeps giving away Bugs' hiding places, until Bugs has enough and gives the parrot a cracker (firecracker, that is). Bugs then pretends to be the parrot and tricks Sam into going inside a cannon, which Bugs then fires.
- Running Gag: Sam getting blasted in the face with cannons. Including one at the very end as a Brick Joke.
- Scooby-Dooby Doors: In a routine borrowed from Little Red Riding Rabbit, Sam follows Bugs through a series of doors. As soon as Sam is about to go though the door Bugs went through, Bugs comes out another door and into a third door (and in once case, back through the same door), forcing Sam to follow.
Sam: Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, yo-ho-ho and a bottle of... Ma's old-fashioned cider! Ma's old-fashioned cider!
- Bugs passes himself off as Captain Bligh, as portrayed by Charles Laughton on Mutiny on the Bounty.
- When Sam is burying the treasure, he's singing "Dead Man's Chest", which then transitions to a conga beat and a parody of a popular 1940s jingle for "Dad's Old-Fashioned Root Beer".
- Bugs' closing line - "I have not yet even begun to fight!" - paraphrases a famous quote attributed to Revolutionary War captain John Paul Jones.
- You're Insane!/You Fool!: Sam basically calls Bugs this when he throws a match into the gunpowder room.Sam: Why you crazy doggone idjit, whatcha trying to do, blow us to smithereens?!