Marry Me is a webcomic created and written by Bobby Crosby (+EV, Last Blood) and illustrated by Remy "Eisu" Mokhtar (No Pink Ponies). It depicts the life of Stasia, a pop-idol of some renown who fills whatever arena she sings in. On the personal front, though, it's less of a sunshine story. Stasia's love life has turned out less than satisfactory, and she is not eager to get back into the dating scene again. Depressed and unenthusiastic, she prepares for her last show of the year.
Enter Guy. Or in fact, enter Parker, dragging Guy with her by his ear. Parker is a die-hard Stasia fan and has brought along a sign that she is intent on getting Stasia's autograph on. Guy can't understand the appeal of her music (or any other parts of her). As the show progresses, nature calls to Parker. Unfortunately, this may make her miss the big moment, but she makes Guy swear to present the sign if she doesn't make it back in time. Being a nice guy, he does. He probably shouldn't have.
Marry Me is a plot-heavy romantic comedy in its purest form. You will find many romance tropes roaming about, and while the story is original in itself, the form is easily recognizable and rather predictable. That doesn't stop it from being entertaining, however.
Provides Examples Of:
- Accidental Marriage: The whole plot foundation.
- Best Woman: In the epilogue.
- Book-Ends: Stasia talking to Jenny backstage before doing a concert while one of them is very pregnant.
- Boy Meets Girl: Guy meets Stasia...
- Meet Cute: ...when Stasia asks him to marry her, on stage, in front of thousands of screaming fans.
- Chekhov's Hobby: Parker is training for a vampire marathon. (Which is the same thing as a normal marathon, only...by vampires.)
- Double Entendre: "I'm in Stasia's pants tonight."
- Stasia comments that she plans on wearing Janny's maternity clothes on her next tour.
- Turtle was the spitting image of Parker.
- Fourth Date Marriage: First played around with with Stasia and Guy's instant wedding. Then played straight after he asks her to marry him for real less than 72 hours later.
- Good Samaritan: Stasia is an avid giver to charity and cancer research.
- I Drank What: Averted when the characters ask what they're drinking before they consume it. It turns out to be blood. They drink it anyway. Turns out that they had already drank it before, due to Parker is training for a vampire marathon.
- Ironic Echo: Stasia says that on the next tour she'd be wearing maternity clothes; guess what?
- Magical Defibrillator: Parker manages to revive a clinically-dead homeless man with fifty-three applications of a defibrillator without retiring the blanket that was covering him.
- Marriage Before Romance: The way the story starts.
- Missing Mom: Stasia and Janny's mom has been gone for years.
- Naked People Are Funny: Parker trying to get a look at Stasia, forgetting that her pants are down.
- Noodle Incident: The San Diego Zoo incident. Whatever it was, it was enough to stop Stasia from donating to The Society For Happier Monkeys any more.
- No One Could Survive That!: Turtle, who dived into an icy river, got shocked by an electric eel, and then was buried alive...in her mother's wedding dress.
- One Steve Limit:
- Pointedly averted, discussed and enforced with Parker's "homeless dad", who shares a name with Denny. When he finds out Denny rants about how the limit should be enforced, always. Then Stasia's dad ofers Homeless Dad!Denny $10,000 for legally change his name to Bing.
- Also despite Bodyguard!Denny objections Jenny baby was named after Parker.
- Reality Is Unrealistic: One of the News Commentators thinks the entire thing is a publicity stunt. Though, to give him credit, he does bring up some good points for it, despite them all just being coincidences. Really, REALLY, convenient coincidences.
- Also, Guy is too realistic of a pirate for audiences to connect with. Don't ask.
- Scary Black Man: Denny the body guard.
- Sexy Santa Dress: Stasia, Janny and Parker get in on this.
- Stage Dad: Stasia and Janny's father.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: During the concert Stasia gets raised by wires. She thinks "Don't drop me, Gary!" (the guy who runs the wires). As she is being lifted Parker also shouts out "Don't drop her Gary!"
- Waving Signs Around: The "Marry Me" sign itself. And of course "BERNIE SUCKS".
- Wham Line: Turtle:"No rings, just bullets."