Sword Coast Legends is a fantasy Role-Playing Game which takes place in the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms universe, the first full single player campaign in that universe since 2006's Neverwinter Nights 2. The game features 5 playable races and 6 playable classes.
Like the Neverwinter Nights games, it also allows you to create your own adventures through a "Dungeon Master Mode", albeit with a more limited editor. This allows for creation of either single player or online-multiplayer adventures, and one person can play as the dungeon master, which allows them to control NPCs, encounters, traps, etc. in real time.
It was officially released on 20 October 2015. Two years later, it was announced that, due to the license expiring, it would be removed from sale on all platforms at the end of 2017, although existing owners could continue to play and the multiplayer servers would be maintained indefinitely.
This game contains examples of:
- Character Customization: There are a number of customization options available during character creation, including race, subrace, class, background, etc., as well as the ability to altar physical appearance.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Illydia's past is very troublesome indeed. Her parents didn't approved her friendship with Cerric and punished her for that. She got revenge by leading some Drows to her village. It turned out to be an extremely bad mistake, as the village was ransacked and everyone was enslaved, including Illydia and Cerric. The Moontear was also lost to the Drow.
- Fantasy Character Classes: The most common D&D character classes are used in the game's initial release - Fighter, cleric, rogue, wizard, paladin and ranger.
- Our Dwarves Are All the Same: Two dwarven subraces are available for as options for player characters, the gold and shield dwarves, which are the typical Tolkein-esque varieties. Subverted completely with one of the companions, Izhkin who is a Derro - a particularly insane Nightmare Fuel Always Chaotic Evil subrace of Underdark dwarves. Izhkin himself though is an especially benevolent (through not exactly "good" in the traditional meaning) example of a Derro, if no less insane than the rest of his kind.
- Pirates: Plenty to be found in the port city of Luskan
- Real-Time with Pause: Uses a pause system to more easily give your party specific instructions during combat.
- Wretched Hive: Luskan, as would be expected from a city ruled by pirate captains, is full of assassins, thieves and smugglers.