One evening while out stargazing, Kyle Kitcat and Lucy Lovecat stumble upon a magical doorway. Reaching just a little too far, Kyle and Lucy fall into the portal and find themselves in the realm known as Sunova.
In Sunova, shooting stars are blessed by the ruler of the land, "Queen Theresa", granting the wishes of those who wish upon them. Stars that are not wished upon fall to the surface, becoming "Mystical Orbs", gemstones of pure, magical energy. Seeing no alternative, Kyle and Lucy decide to search for Mystical Orbs to wish themselves back home. Unbeknownst to the two young felines, however, is that they are not the only ones searching for Mystical Orbs.
At SAGE 2019, a three-stage prequel mini-game was released, titled Sondro Gomez: A Wonderworld Story. It centers around Sondro Gomez — a resident of Sunova who longs to leave his homeland to pursue his dream of becoming a musician — collecting Mystic Orbs in order to pay off his debt to a mysterious being called "The Realtor". Unlike Kyle & Lucy, which is a speed-based platformer in the vein of the classic Sonic the Hedgehog games, Sondro Gomez is an action-platformer in the vein of the classic Castlevania games. It can be downloaded for free here.
Kyle & Lucy: Wonderworld provides examples of:
- Cool Gate: Gameplay footage shows that Kyle and Lucy accidentally fall into a magical gateway at the start of the game.
- Defeat Equals Explosion: Demo shows all the robot enemies instantly blow up in a neat little explosion after getting defeated by Kyle and Lucy's attacks.
- Flash of Pain: Gameplay footage shows the current player character flash white for a couple of seconds after losing health.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: An inverted example; Lucy in blue is the more adventure-seeking and less cautious than Kyle in red. The demo's intro thus shows that it is Lucy who first suggests they go to the ruins where they find the portal to the Wonderworld (while Kyle cautiously recalls the legends but disbelieves them), and then reaches too far and ends up falling in, with Kyle attempting to pull her back but failing and tumbling in straight after her. Their in-game expressions also match this behaviour.
- Rolling Attack: Demo shows that when moving fast, Kyle and Lucy can crouch down to cover themselves in flames and coast forward on their momentum.
- Spikes of Doom: Tall metallic spikes are seen early on in the demo. Falling on them produces a comedic "pin" sound and also takes off one segment of the health bar out of four.
- Spin Attack: Gameplay footage shows that both Kyle and Lucy's attacks involve spinning: Kyle's vertically, Lucy's horizontally.
- Trapped in Another World: The premise has Kyle and Lucy trapped in a "Wonderworld" after falling through a portal seen in the intro footage. Though, later scenes in the demo reveal that the world is known by its inhabitants as Sunova.
- Wall Crawl: Demo shows that Kyle and Lucy can sink their claws into walls to climb up them. They can still use their Rolling Attack while climbing, as well.