Face Raiders is a video game for the Nintendo 3DS which is included with every Nintendo 3DS system. You take a picture of someone's face. The game sticks the face onto some enemies. You then wave the 3DS around, while viewing your actual surroundings as the background through the video camera, and shoot their face. It's as trippy as it sounds.
Tropes that appear in this game:
- Another Dimension: The final level takes place in one.
- Augmented Reality: Takes advantage of this feature.
- Boss Rush: You can reface harder versions of all the bosses in the Extra Stage.
- Everything-Is-Smashable Area: As you play, the real-world surroundings will seem to get smashed, resulting in holes through which you can see space. The very same space area is where the final boss is fought.
- Evil Laugh: All of the Bosses have one.
- Final Boss, New Dimension: The Final Boss is fought in its own dimension.
- Funny Afro: The bosses gain one upon defeat. The final boss' gains one too... except it's actually a machine that protects it from your attacks. Defeat that phase and the boss will be left without a funny afro.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The third boss's weakness is exposed by shooting the faces around it. The final boss's first form is damaged from his own crystals.
- Mood Whiplash: Initially, the final boss looks ominously threatening. After defeating it, it gains the usual Funny Afro and falls down like the other bosses... except this is actually a Victory Fakeout. You'll see the boss still lingering below you, and when you shoot at it, it'll rise up as disco music is playing, and its afro turns out to be another machine. Gainax Ending indeed.
- Playing Tennis with the Boss: Not done with the level's actual boss, but one enemy in the final stage is a racquet and you have to do this to beat it.
- Samurai: The headgear theme of the first boss.
- Shielded Core Boss
- Socialization Bonus: The more people you can meet and take pictures of in real life, the wider your selection of faces will become. (Of course, you can also use pictures from TV or a computer screen to the same effect.) If you play the game while other people are around, the game might end up automatically taking their picture in the middle of play and adding it to your collection. (Just be sure to ask first!)
- Visual Pun: The final boss is a ball; the Mini-Boss is a bat. Get it?
- Warm-Up Boss: The first boss can be beaten by shooting it when possible without thinking too much. The only part that requires any effort whatsoever is the second phase, where you need to shoot the pink spiky orbs back at it to make it vulnerable.