Barbie is a 1991 platformer video game that was created by Imagineers for Hi-Tech Engineering.
The plot has Barbie having dreams about a date with Ken for the following day after reading a book and her dreams entailing all sorts of adventures that she could encounter.
This game has the following tropes:
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: After finishing a level, Barbie is given a certain piece of clothing for her date with Ken.
- Cannot Cross Running Water: One of the sections of the Mall Level has Barbie being unable to cross underneath various mall fountains and being forced to wait until it momentarily stops to pass. This is particularly odd since the next level, the Underwater Level, has her swimming underwater without any issue.
- Checkpoint Starvation: Lose all your health and it's back to the start of the level.
- Cute Kitten: Barbie encounters one in the Mall. Not only is it adorable, but it's necessary to help you beat one of the levels.
- Dream Episode: The "levels" Barbie goes through are dreamt up by her instead of actually fought.
- Everything Is Trying to Kill You: Some of your enemies in the game include water fountains, flying pizzas, fish, jellyfish, various articles of clothing and even french fries and hot fudge sundaes.
- The '50s: Implied with the malt shop level given Barbie's attire and the ridiculously cheap food (and justified since the Barbie franchise originated in 1959).
- Heroic Dolphin: One helps you get out of a whirlwind in the Underwater Level.
- Huge Rider, Tiny Mount: The Toucan is able to carry Barbie on his back despite her being much bigger than him.
- Improvised Lockpick: In the form of a kitten in the Mall Level, whose bouncing off of the lock is able to open it.
- Invincibility Powerup: The small golden 'B' lets Barbie pass through hazards safely.
- The Mall: The setting of the first (and longest) levels, where you have to clear through a boutique, a toy store, a food court and even the mall's water fountains.
- Malt Shop: Where the third and final level takes place in.
- No Antagonist: Seriously. The most physical "villain" in the whole game is the jellyfish in the Underwater Level.
- Platform Hell
- Stalked by the Bell: In the Underwater Level, if you dawdle for too long in one spot, the jellyfish will begin to chase you.
- Super Not-Drowning Skills: The Underwater Level features Barbie as a mermaid who, obviously, is right at home in the ocean.
- Under the Sea: The obvious setting for the underwater level.