The writer, J.A. Phillips, has a bit of a love for referential humour. As such, a LOT of it is tossed about in this story, at least once per chapter, along with callbacks to various seasons of Power Rangers.
- "What are you even doing, playing WoW?!"
- "Didn't anyone ever tell you not to kick a lady there?! Especially not a lady who beats suckers on Halo for a hobby!"
- A number of different callbacks to Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers are established this chapter, from the Viewing Globe, to the team's mentor being a wizard, to calls such as "It's Morphin' Time!", "Make my monster grow!", and "We need ____ Zord power, now!"
- "And THAT's what I call 'gettin' 'er done'!"
- "This thing has a STEREO?! How did I not notice that before?!"
- "Hippogriff Flop!"
- The title: Just Communication.
- "...You aren't honestly gonna tell me you never noticed? C'mon, every time we do our roll call, there's all these lights that go off around us, followed by these gigantic explosions! How am I the only one to notice that?"
- Man, look at her, acting all awesome by keeping a constant vigil over Gaia, like she was Batman or something.
- "Wait, can't do that, we need to study how this brand new creature interacts. Now, try not to move around much. This is for science, after all."
- "Let's croak this toad!"
- The Rangers end up having a battle with Blots in a quarry for seemingly no reason other than every season of Power Rangers must have a quarry battle.
- "Congrats, 'Kevin', I'm sure the enemy is impressed with your advanced trap-setting skills."
- "KNEEL before me..."
- "That's ENOUGH, Walker! You shall not pass!"
- "...I can't fight Walker...He's my son."
- "I dunno, I just like being mean to people?"
- "Back off, fang face!"
- "My friends believe in me, and I believe in them...So I'll believe in me too!"
- "We just need to find Drayden, and then we're rolling in puppies."
- "Sphantis SMASH!"
- "We'll finish off the Doduo wannabe!"
- The Megazord battle is an homage to the first episode of Power Rangers that the writer had ever seen: A Pressing Engagement.
- "...Oh, sugar honey iced TEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
- Dirk: Think that's the Well of Regret?
- "...What kind of...stupid question is THAT?!"
- None. Which may seem bizarre, since a lot of the plot centers around Madilyn, but there's a reason there's less humour: IT'S SAD AS ALL HECK.
- "Waiting until I'm one move away from checkmate and then turning the board around isn't a win."
- "Well, getting a little tired of the sympathetic head tilt."
- Walker: It won't matter if we exterminate them here and now!Sphantis: Exterminate! EXTERMINATE!