Taina was a Nickelodeon sitcom that aired between 2001 and 2002, and concerns a teenage girl who attends a performing arts school with her quirky friends, with dreams of becoming a superstar. Sound familiar? In fact, on This Very Wiki Taina is primarily remembered as "the show that Victorious ripped off years later." The series starred Christina Vidal as the titular character. The show ran for two seasons before being canceled by Nickelodeon due to rising production costs as well as the show's audience skewing too female for the network's liking.
This was the last sitcom that was filmed at Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando, Florida.
Tropes in Taina include:
- Alpha Bitch: Maritza definitely acts like one with her love of fashion and at one point, a trailer even said "I loooooove raining on your parade".
- Attention Whore: Maritza can be a little desperate for attention.
- Brick Joke: Maritza says "I looooooove raining on your parade", and Taina later responds with "Maritza, you're so... muuuuuuuuuushy".
- The Cobbler's Children Have No Shoes: Taina in one episode fails her Spanish test. Her family is Puerto Rican, and regularly speak Spanish to one another.
- Constructive Criticism: This became a subject of an episode, in which a performance is given a review that interpreted as being somewhat mean, but when they point this trope out, the characters debate just what passes off for Constructive Criticism.
- Expository Theme Tune: Taina (who's name is sung quite harmonically) dreams of stardom.
- Fantasy Sequence: We get one once per episode. They often end with her posing in the same position (when we cut back to reality), which bares the question; was she actually singing and dancing around before she realized that it was just a daydream?
- Friend or Idol Decision: One episode revolved around Taina trying to join a girl group with one condition: she ditches her friend, Renee. Taina ends up choosing her friend.
- It's All About Me: Martiza Hogg
- And Taina herself, quite often.
- Meaningful Name: Maritza's last name, Hogg, also applies to her excessive need to hog the spotlight.
- Short Runner: Despite the huge ratings, the show was cancelled after two seasons for lack of funds.
- Spicy Latina: Taina
- Spiritual Predecessor: Fame. Taina is the modern Coco, both are Latina and aim for stardom. Also, they both live in New York City and attend a performing arts school.