She's the Antichrist.
Having given her dad the slip, a teenage girl named Christina Nickson washes up in the Quirky Town of Point Pleasant, New Jersey, a place with a dark and mysterious history resulting from the various demonic influences. Unfortunately, her dad is the ultimate Meddling Parent, Satan, and he's sent his various representatives to ensure that her life circumstances inevitably direct her toward growing up to be an Antichrist that Daddy would be proud of.
Created by former Buffy writer Marti Noxon, this supernatural teen drama initially drew in much of that show's fandom and enjoyed a popular premiere. However, Point Pleasant's soapy, Omen-meets-OC vibe was drastically different from that of Buffy, turning off much of the show's built-in audience. The show only made it halfway through its first and only season before falling off the face of the Earth.
This show provides examples of:
- The Antichrist: Christina, a rare female example.
- Anti Anti Christ: And she's got a foster family and a Catholic priest trying to keep her from turning evil.
- Christianity Is Catholic: Although Sarah mentions that the town was founded by Puritans, the only church ever mentioned in the show (and one that is very central to the plot) is Catholic.
- Justified; despite its Protestant past, New Jersey is predominately Catholic.
- Cosmic Deadline: This arguably worked out for the best. When it became evident that the show was going to be cancelled, the writers started rushing to resolve things, and the results were actually kind of thrilling. Prior to this, the show had featured a demon-sponsored dance-off with the characters facing the horror of... a disco ball coming unscrewed.
- Jesus Taboo: Despite being specifically about the Antichrist, there is no mention whatsoever of Jesus or of the Second Coming.
- Joisey: It was a big deal in New Jersey that this show was set on the Shore. Then we found out that Hollywood's idea of the Jersey Shore was basically "Southern California, but with lighthouses and boardwalks instead of palm trees."
- Meaningful Name: Christina, which is a near-anagram of Anti-Christ. And her last name, Nickson, literally means "Nick's son" (or daughter, as is the case here). One of the names Satan is known by is "Old Nick."
- Meddling Parents: Perhaps the ultimate meddling parent.
- Number of the Beast: The strange birthmark on Christina's eye is three sixes merged together into a ring-like shape.
- Sign of the Apocalypse: It's a joke...I think...
- Villain Protagonist: Christina at the end of the series.
- Walking Wasteland: Happens briefly to the potted plants in one scene where Christina is walking out of a hospital.