America Sings is a former Disneyland attraction that opened on June 29, 1974, replacing the Carousel of Progress. The animatronics' designs were conceived by Marc Davis, who previously worked on those of Country Bear Jamboree.
The attraction was a revolving theater attraction like the Carousel of Progress, featuring more than a hundred audio-animatronic animals performing popular songs from America's history. The show was hosted by a bald eagle named Sam and an owl named Ollie.
The attraction closed in 1988, and the majority of the animatronics were promptly moved to Disneyland's version of Splash Mountain, which opened the following year.
The attraction provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: Ollie's name is never mentioned in the attraction, but is revealed in the Disneyland Records album and the book that accompanies it. Other unnamed characters in the attraction get names in the same book...
- The old hound dog during "My Own Kentucky Home" is named Colonel Houndstoothe.
- The cowboy dog who sings "Home on the Range" is named Tex Ranger.
- The piano-playing pig that sings "Beat Me Daddy, Eight to the Bar" is named Big Daddy.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Averted for the most part, but the guitar-playing stork in the Modern Times section is blue.
- Clucking Funny: Chickens appear as part of the chorus in "Down By the Riverside", and a rooster is part of the rock band during the Modern Times scene.
- Cute Owl: Ollie qualifies, as does the owl among the desert critters that appear during "Home on the Range".
- Fantastic Foxes: Quite a few - in fact, there's at least one in each act.
- Feather Fingers: Most if not all of the bird characters in the show have them.
- Informed Species: Most of the characters in the show, while anthromorphized, look like the animals that they're supposed to be... with the exception of the geese, who look less like geese and more like Big Bird with white feathers.
- National Animal Stereotypes: Obviously a show about America is hosted by an eagle.
- Never Smile at a Crocodile: Averted - the show features several friendly alligators.
- Noble Bird of Prey: Sam is an eagle.
- Running Gag: The weasel popping out of random places during the show. Happens at least once per act.
- Typical Cartoon Animal Colors: The foxes are all brown (or at least a very dark red), the donkeys are both brown, the pigs are all pink, the alligators are green, the rabbits are brown, and the geese are white with yellow bills and feet. The frog during the Modern Times segment is also green.
- Wicked Weasel: Averted with the weasel in this show, who's a mischievous but chipper fellow.