When Homer and Marge get stuck on a Tunnel of Love ride thanks to Bart's prank, they decide to pass the time by telling three romantic stories: Homer and Marge as 1930s bank robbers Bonnie and Clyde, a Lady and the Tramp parody again starring Homer and Marge (with some ancillary characters as supporting cast), and a Sid and Nancy parody with Nelson and Lisa as punk couple Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen.
- Alliterative Name: Robby Robin.
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: A dog catcher tells puppy!Bart and Lisa he'll put them to sleep... by his boring stories... and then he'll kill them.
- Ballistic Discount: Averted. Clyde doesn't need to shoot anybody for his stolen gun. He simply punches through the glass and picks one of the guns without even entering the shop.
- Felony Misdemeanor: Ned (who had been an unwilling accomplice to Homer and Marge during their Bonnie and Clyde tale) is quite willing to allow them to continue their criminal rampage throughout the country... up until he hears that they are unmarried.
- Forgotten Framing Device: Homer and Marge get stuck on a ride, and to pass the time he tells her a story. The other Simpsons join, and Marge and Bart tell stories too. The end of Bart's story, however, segues straight to the end credits and doesn't show if they decided to get off the ride or wait for it to work again.
- G-Rated Drug: The Sid and Nancy spoof has Nelson and Lisa addicted to chocolate instead of cocaine.
- The Joy of X: The episode is titled with the pattern "X, Y Style" in mind.
- Meaningful Name: Clyde stole his gun from a store named "Tommy's Guns".
- Miss Conception: Alone with Shady after a romantic dinner at Luigi's, Vamp tells Shady "I am in heat. That's the safe time, right?", to which Shady (presumably despite better knowledge) replies "Oh, the safest!". Predictably, Vamp gets pregnant.
- Nobody Calls Me "Chicken"!: Clyde tells Bonnie nobody calls him "chicken" without goading him into doing something stupid.
- Take That!: A Goofy Expy would rather endure the gas chamber than work for Disney.