Kai Winn, finally realizing that it is the Pah-Wraiths and not the Prophets that reached out to her, is wracked with guilt and confusion. But when she reaches out to Kira for help, Kira tells her the one thing that could push the Kai over the edge. Back on Cardassia, Ezri and Worf, staring down execution, struggle to come to terms with their actions over the last couple days. Finally, Weyoun's callous disregard for the slaughter of an entire legion of Cardassian soldiers proves to be the last straw for Legate Damar.
Tropes in this episode:
- And There Was Much Rejoicing: Damar laughs his ass off when Worf kills Weyoun, and is still sniggering when the next Weyoun clone walks in.
- Bait-and-Switch Gunshot: Worf and Ezri are being taken to their execution, with two Jem'Hadar guards and Damar following them. Suddenly, Damar shoots the guards and gives their rifles to Worf and Ezri.
- Big "NO!": Winn, in response to the Wham Line below.
- FaceHeel Turn: Though she was a pretty flimsy face, Winn finally goes full-on evil.
- False Reassurance: Damar asks Weyoun to send Jem'Hadar reinforcements to Septimus III, to relieve the Cardassian defenders fighting off a Klingon invasion. Weyoun tells him "The situation will be taken care of." When Damar learns later that the garrison was overrun and wiped out, he confronts Weyoun, who repeats that the situation was taken care of by the Klingons.
- Fatal Flaw: Damar notes that overconfidence is "the hallmark of the Weyouns."
- Get Out!: Winn tells "Anjohl" this when he first admits that he's with the Pah-Wraiths. Later, Winn changes her mind.
- Have You Seen My God?: After the Pah-Wraiths begin to exercise their influence over Winn, the Prophets refuse to speak to her. Their silence to her helps to push her over the edge and complete her FaceHeel Turn.
- HeelFace Turn: Damar, finally fed up with what's been happening to Cardassia.
- Heroic BSoD: Not exactly heroic, but Winn nearly falls apart when she learns she's being seduced by the Pah-Wraiths.
- I Will Only Slow You Down: When Worf gets shot in the leg during the first escape attempt.Worf: Leave me!
Ezri: Oh, shut up!
- It's All About Me: Why Winn's attempt at redeeming herself fails — she refuses to relinquish her power as Kai.
- A Million Is a Statistic: Weyoun and Thot Gor's attitude towards the loss of Cardassian lives on Septimus III.
- Mistreatment-Induced Betrayal:
- After watching his soldiers being used as cannon fodder, Cardassian worlds sold off to buy the Breen's allegiance, and being told he's nothing more than a puppet ruler, Damar turns against his Dominion masters.
- Kai Winn portrays her turn away from the Prophets as this, reasoning that she shouldn't bother worshipping gods who give her no support in return. In reality, it's just a case of her ego flying off the deep end.
- Neck Snap: How Worf kills Weyoun 7 for taunting Ezri in front of him. Damar finds it extremely amusing, much to Weyoun 8's chagrin.
- Oh, Crap!: Winn, once she realizes that it wasn't the Prophets that had been communicating with her, but the Pah-Wraiths.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: After Winn learns that she's been consorting with the Pah-Wraiths, she goes to Kira for the Bajoran equivalent of Confession — and for once, there's no bitchy Passive-Aggressive Kombat or posturing, as Winn is genuinely fearful and penitent. Unfortunately, it gets Subverted when Kira advises her to step down as Kai, and her usual "It's All About Me" attitude reasserts itself.
- Pyrrhic Victory: Weyoun 7 and Thot Gor both agree that giving the Klingons this is the best way to handle the battle on Septimus III. The Klingons waste valuable resources and soldiers on a strategically worthless planet, all while killing some weak and (as far as the Dominion is concerned) useless fighters. This is no loss to the Dominion.
- Rage Against the Reflection: When Damar looks at himself and sees an increasingly useless drunkard, he throws his kanar all over the mirror.
- Senseless Sacrifice: What pushes Damar over the edge; learning that the Dominion sacrificed 500,000 Cardassian soldiers merely to slow down a Klingon attack.
- Talking to the Dead: Damar takes a moment to mock Weyoun's corpse for his overconfidence."Ah, overconfidence...the hallmark of the Weyouns. Maybe the Founders should eliminate that from your genetic recipe next time!"
- Then Let Me Be Evil: With the Prophets deaf to her, her influence waning against Sisko's, and the Pah-Wraiths offering her that which she desires, Winn decides to give the Prophets the middle finger and turn her coat.Winn: I'm a patient woman, but I've run out of patience. I will no longer serve gods who give me nothing in return. I'm ready to walk the path the Pah-Wraiths have laid out for me.
"Anjohl": I will walk with you, and no one will be able to stand against us.
Winn: Those who try? The Federation and their puppet Vedeks? The Prophets and their precious Emissary? They will all be swept aside like dead leaves before an angry wind.
- They Killed Weyoun Again: And There Was Much Rejoicing — at least for Damar.
- To Absent Friends: Damar does a rather sarcastic one with Weyoun 8 regarding his recently-killed predecessor.(Weyoun 8 walks into Damar's office)
Damar: Well, hello! (laughs)
Weyoun: I'm glad to see you find the death of my predecessor so amusing.
Damar: Oh, you misunderstand. I miss him deeply. Here — a toast to Weyoun 7. (drinks)
- Troll: Damar poking fun at Weyoun 7's death is probably the most fun he's had in years.Weyoun: Have they agreed to cooperate?
Damar: No. Maybe you should talk to Worf again! (laughs)
- We Have Reserves:
- Weyoun sees Cardassian soldiers this way. Damar doesn't take it too well.
- After Worf kills Weyoun 7, Damar notes the Dominion will just clone another one.
- Wham Line:
- "Feel our love the love of the Pah-Wraith."
- When Damar kills the Jem'Hadar guards and tells Worf and Ezri how they can escape.Ezri: Why are you doing this?Damar: I want you to give a message to the Federation. Tell them they have an ally on Cardassia.
- You Have Failed Me: Damar implies this may happen to Weyoun 8 once the Female Changeling learns of Worf and Ezri's escape.Damar: Oh, I'm sure she'll understand. But if she doesn't, I look forward to meeting Weyoun 9.